About this listing
Great place to stay for peace and solitude as well as being close to great wine-tasting and wonderful bicycling.
Welcome to your dog-friendly, secluded get-away home situated on 15 plus acres in the hills of West Sonoma County, California. And YES, that is really a genuine piece of the old Golden Gate Bridge in front of the house!
Wine lovers paradise! We are a scenic 20 to 30 minute drive from many world class wineries that are considered the best wineries in Sonoma County located along the Russian River Valley. We often have coupons for free tasting at some of the local wineries as well.
Bicyclers welcome! Several major bike races are held here every year including the Tour de California in May and the Gran Fondo in October!
The Airplane House can comfortably sleep 6 adults (3 couples, 2 people per bed). There is a queen size bed in the master bedroom on the main floor, two queen size beds in the sleeping loft upstairs and the leather couch in the great room on the main floor folds out into a queen size bed.
As soon as we receive confirmation that you have booked, we will send explicit directions. During prohibition, the remote canyons and forests in our area were natural places for people to set up stills. The surrounding roads provided access to the stills and to the purveyors of illegal alcohol, so our lane was closed off to through traffic and to this day has not been re-opened as a through road for the public. Just a bit of history for you.
The Wine Country Airplane House is approximately 65 miles north of the Golden Gate Bridge and 30 minutes away from the Russian River Wine Valley. This is the perfect place for you to relax with family, friends and dogs, unwind, and leave your worries behind. We respectfully request that you do not bring pit bulls or other aggressive or fighting dogs to our home! We do request that you let us know ahead of time if you will be bringing your dog.
This is a unique, three story 2200 sq. ft. home surrounded by cultivated gardens, wooded areas and a pond. Please note a real, authentic piece of the Golden Gate Bridge outside the front entrance! Spectacular views of the Bodega Valley as well as Bodega Bay, (just a short scenic 30 minute drive away) and the sparkling waters of the Pacific Ocean, Point Reyes, and on very clear days, you will catch a glimpse of the Farallon Islands.
On the main floor there is a large living area with ample seating for friends and family. Please note that there is a TV and a DVD player but there is no cable.The master bedroom and the bathroom are also located on the main floor. There is an electric fireplace. Sorry, Sonoma County would not let us add a wood burning stove!
The upper floor is actually a sleeping loft overlooking the great room with two queen size beds and a couch where you can lounge around enjoying a good book.
The bottom floor features a large dining area, and a full size, fully equipped kitchen to include good quality knives with a sharpening tool, and a 2ft x 2ft built in butcher block cutting board. There is also an area for working out including a treadmill and a weight bench and weights. The lower level also has padded bench seats for extra lounging space. There is a small laundry room with full size washer and dryer located off of the kitchen area.
There are a number of activities in and around the Airplane House for you to enjoy should you want to venture out. Located on our property, there is a small grove of redwoods with a rhodedendron garden. We also have a number of sculptures in the garden areas on the property, so take a walk and enjoy!
A short 1 ½ mile walk will take you to an amazing grove of old growth redwoods. You will find several easy hiking trails where you can view some of the largest redwood trees in Sonoma County.
The BEST times to visit our wineries are between November and March when you can avoid the crowds AND you may even be able to talk to some of the wine makers hanging around the tasting rooms!
Guests have access to walking around the property to view the gardens and sculptures.
Interaction with Guests
I always try to greet my guests when they arrive and try to touch bases with them during their stay to make sure they are having a good time.
Our neighborhood is so quiet and peaceful and we still have the "small town" feel. We are like an undiscovered resort area.
Guests need to have their own vehicle for getting around the area.
Other Things to Note
Please note that there is NO maid or housekeeping service provided. The house is thoroughly cleaned and ready for each new guest visit. Guests who rent for several weeks or longer can choose to have a weekly cleaning service come in and clean the house at an additional cost to guest. Contact Lynda (property owner) if you wish to make this arrangement.
1. Please, no smoking in the buildings or on the property. We live in a very high fire danger area.
2. Sonoma County Ordinance prevents us from having any amplified or loud music or voices at any time. Quiet time is between 9:00 pm and 9:00 am.
3. PLEASE!!! NO PIT BULLS, PIT BULL TERRIERS, Staffordshire Terriers or any kind of pit bull type dog or mix OR ANY OTHER AGGRESSIVE OR FIGHTING DOGS!!! We have three other small dogs that live in the other residences located on the property. If your dog is friendly and won't attack the other dogs that live here, then they are welcome to come. Guests who do decide to bring their dogs will agree that guests WILL NOT leave their dogs alone/unattended for any reason, especially if guests decide to leave the property.
4. Since there is only one bathroom, we must ask that no more more than 6 people are are allowed to stay overnght at the house at any time.
5. Please, we can't allow large groups or parties on the property per Sonoma County Ordinance. We need to request that no more than 3 vehicles be allowed to park on the property. Thank you.
6. Guests agree to return the house in the same condition it was found. Dishes should be placed in dishwasher or hand washed and dirty linens should be piled on the floor in the bathroom. Wine glasses need to be washed by hand as the dishwasher break them.
7. Guests with disabilities may find it difficult to navigate the staircases to the upper and lower levels but the bathroom and the master bedroom are on the main level and easily accessable..
8.Parents who bring small children who can't swim stay at their own risk due to the large un-enclosed pond located on the property..
9.We encourage all guests to purchase travelers insurance. Property owner is not responsible for guest's lost or stolen property. By accepting this reservation, it is agreed that all guests are expressly assuming the risk of any harm arising from their use of the premises or others whom they invite to use the premise.
Guests agree that a one month booking is for 29 days. Guests who wish to stay longer than 29 days will agree to re-book for any additonal days.