Wake to endless sunrise views and Howler monkeys singing in the valley. Casa Sunrise is set atop a mountain with panoramic views of Manuel Antonio National Park. It consist of two separate units that can be rented individual or together. The downstairs unit($79.00/night) is a 1 bedroom(queen bed) with kitchen, living room, bathroom and large deck. The upstairs loft unit($99.00/night) is a spacious 1 bedroom loft(king bed), full kitchen,dinning area, living room, 1 and 1/2 baths, and large deck. Both units have air conditioning, ceiling fans, TV, WiFi, and hot water.
Each unit can sleep three with use of air mattress.
. Large windows allow for natural exterior light to brighten the inside of the residence.
. The house is designed on two levels where the lower level could easily be used as an independent suite, allowing for great holiday possibilities for guests, family or friends. The house is about a half mile from the main road which has restaurants, shopping and public transportation.
Unfortunately we had to cancel our stay because there was no electric in the apartment we had booked. David kept us informed at all time about his efforts to solve the problem and was very kind trying to offer alternative solutions. The price of the accommodation will be reimbursed to 100%.
Nice house with an excellent view. The house (both units) is most appropriate for 4 people, but spacious enough for more, however, these will have to sleep on air mattresses.
We were unlucky that 2/3 of the A/C's did not work, and therefore had to hot nights. It would have been nice if someone had actually checked up on this before we arrived.
David was a welcoming guy and gave us a discount due to the abovementioned.
The quick description of the house is a bit misleading since it only has real beds for 4 people (not 6) and moreover is divided in two units (and the price is therefore double).
It was regretful to choose this airbnb. We used lower floor it has one double bad and one single air mattress. We were 2girls and 2 guys, only lower floor is not enough to stay 4 people.
1. Too many bugs... I couldn't sleep because of ants, bees. One of our friend got a bee sting. You can't keep your food on a table because next day, all ants are gonna come to your table.
2. Washer is broken. Manuel Antonio is around beach !! We wash our clothes by our hands. And one of air-conditioner was broken. we used only a small one for all the floor.
3. Too far from city center. It takes only 10~15min to city center but it was tooooo HOT to walk. and at night, there is no lights on the way.
because we doesn't have a phone, it was really hard to take a taxi from there.
4. Little bit hard communication with David. He is really cool guy. but when we check in, he doesn't answer so we had to wait for him for 40 min. When we check out, we asked him to call taxi for us , but taxi didn't come to house so we walked out all the way with our huge luggage in the morning.
Not recommended. around beach, there's better hotels and hostels. If you stay around beach you don't need to pay for taxi to get to beaches and national park.
Dave was an incredibly gracious host. He's very kind and courteous. He does everything he can to make sure that we had a great time at Manuel Antonio. He had great suggestions to make our trip even better. We had the lower apartment. It was spartan looking, but clean. We were satisfied with the place.
David is a great guy with a great place. There's tons of space and having a kitchen was a definite plus. When we first checked in David met us(even though we were late), gave us some pointers on the area and recommended some local eats and bars. We even ran into him later that night! Cool guy.
Before booking I didn't realize that the downstairs unit didn't really have enough sleep space for 4 guests, but we made it work. Also, the house is a nice hike from the main road. We didn't have any problems with taxis taking us up the hill. In fact, we could coordinate with the cab driver to pick us up later for the evening. It would have been nice to have a home phone, just for security since the house is a bit secluded. We didn't have issues with bugs until the last night or two. Perhaps we didn't have the doors closed properly or maybe this is just a Costa Rica thing. Also a broom would have been great so we could clean up after a day at the beach. I hated leaving the place with sand everywhere.
My night at Casa Sunrise was a complete mess. David is a nice enough guy, and the property itself is as beautiful as the pictures proport, but none of the amenities were functioning when I arrived.
At the end of the day, I cut my 2 night visit to one night and ended up getting a full refund PLUS a $50 gift certificate from airbnb as consolation for my terrifyingly bad night.
-The internet was completely broken, David resorted to offering us the code for his neighbor's WiFi, which sometimes worked from ONLY the patio.
- The oven and stove were non-functioning, which is something I only learned after buying uncooked meat which would eventually have to be thrown out. I suspect that David knew all along about the oven being broken, as when we told him about our plans to cook, he suggested "No! Don't make her cook for you! You should make him take you out for dinner!" After we requested the refund, he informed us that the oven did work, but that we didn't set up his gas lines correctly. I've never heard of a hotel asking their guests to manage gas lines, but I would suggest to David that he handle this before he has any more guests.
- The air conditioning was broken, leading to a night of inescapable sweltering jungle heat.
- There was a hole in the patio screen door, so when we opened the back sliding door to get some refuge from the relentless, un-air conditioned heat, we unexpectedly allowed entrance to a jungle beast-insect the likes of which I have never seen, nor would like to see again. It was a horrible, vicious battle, with many causalities (including my pride) but this footling beast eventually succumbed to battle wounds that I inflicted with a broom, my shoe, and various pillows (I wouldn't touch the pillows) that I bombarded him with for nearly an hour. He looked like this (website hidden)(email hidden)g except bigger and meaner and more horrible. Oh god, the horror...
- There was a vicious dog at the house being kept downstairs that barked ferociously at me as I came and went. He also kept me up all night with his incessant barking.
- The washing machine was broken.
- When we checked out after our first night, David asked us to meet up with him before we left, and agreed to meet us at 10am. At 10:30am we left the keys on the table and went on with our life. At 1pm, he finally messaged me about the keys, telling us not to leave things unlocked.
- When attempting to secure a refund from David, he went completely AWOL, wouldn't respond to my emails or messages. This only added to the stress of this nightmare at Case Sunrise.
Don't take the risk of staying here. It was truly a horrific experience. It's not fun to leave mean reviews, but I don't want you making the mistake of staying here.
This host has 135 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
Hey, I've been living in Costa Rica since 2010. I love to travel and meet people and share in new experiences along the way. Life is short so I am trying to enjoy it one day at a time.