About this listing
A Private Retreat, Studio, & Guest House Focusing on the Arts and Better Living in Maine's Lakes and Mountains Region. We welcome inquiries from travelers with complete profiles, verifications and nice reviews.
EUREKA is an alternative-style guest house. We bring together the arts, nature, and off-the-beaten-path experiences. We have clean, comfortable guest rooms, a 1200 square foot dance studio, a kitchen, nature trails, and other amenities like an outdoor shower. The retreat is located in a peaceful, authentic rural Maine town a comfortable distance from the touristy areas. The retreat was created and is managed by world renown juggler and touring artist Michael Menes.
Guests have access to kitchen facilities, laundry, barbecue, outdoor shower, wifi, and nature trails.
Interaction with Guests
We try to create an environment in which our guests feel at ease. We are a respectful, friendly couple, enjoying the peaceful surroundings of our retreat. We understand when our guests prefer to be quiet or, at other times, to have polite conversation.
We are surrounded by farms, forests, beautiful lakes and lots of fresh air away from the touristy areas, yet not too far from some of the most picturesque destinations in Maine. We are part of a vibrant creative community and a base for exploring off-the-beaten-path adventures. Depending on the season, there are many interesting, down-to-earth, inspiring things to see and do in the area. We recommend the less explored authentic treasures that are often hidden from the typical tourist attractions. Some of these include nearby Celebration Barn Theater, Jack's Greenhouse, Nezinscot Farm, Cooper Spring and Historic Paris Hill.
There is no public transportation in our town. You will need a car to get around. We are approximately 1 hour from Portland International Jetport (PWM).
Other Things to Note
- We offer clean sheets and clean towels.
- It is very safe and secure where we are located so you shouldn’t have any problem getting locked in or locked out.
- We keep a good supply of fresh drinking water from a natural spring which pushes up from deep under a mountain just a few miles away. (Cooper Spring).
- Our guest bathroom is very new and very clean, however, in the summer we highly recommend taking a morning shower outside in our very private outdoor shower. Ask us to lend you a robe. It’s very spa-like. You won’t be sorry!
- Don't confuse BUCKFIELD with BUCKSPORT! We are located in BUCKFIELD which is sometimes confused with BUCKSPORT. The later is a town along the coast of Maine. We are located in Oxford County which is an hour inland.
- Our private home is not regulated by the State of Maine Department of Health and Human Services and the Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention.
NO SMOKING. No smoking is allowed inside the building.
NO PETS. Professionally trained service animals are allowed.
FOOTWEAR. We prefer if guests take off their shoes and leave them in our entryway. Appropriate footwear should be worn in our dance studio or you may go bare foot or wear socks.
COMMON SENSE. No juggling of fire indoors, sharp objects, etc. Ask us to roll down a carpet if you are unsure.
HOURS. Try to be quiet after 10 PM.
About the Host, Michael
I'm a juggler and variety artist who tours nationally and internationally. I was initially drawn to Maine through my experiences taking workshops at the nearby Celebration Barn with a famous teacher named Tony Montanaro. Between tours I built an ideal space for creative work. I continue to improve and expand what it has to offer to travelers, artists, romantics, and adventurers. My partner, Andrea, often helps out when I have guests staying at my retreat. She is a vegan and vegetarian chef who works at a nearby college and is originally from Prague, Czech Republic.