A Private Retreat, Studio, & Guest House Focusing on the Arts and Better Living.
EUREKA is an alternative-style guest house. We bring together the arts, nature, and off-the-beaten-path experiences. We have clean, comfortable guest rooms, a 1200 square foot dance studio, a kitchen, nature trails, and other amenities like an outdoor shower. The retreat is located in a peaceful, authentic rural Maine town a comfortable distance from the touristy areas. The retreat was created and is managed by world renown juggler and touring artist Michael Menes.
Guests have access to kitchen facilities, laundry, barbecue, outdoor shower, wifi, and nature trails.
Interaction with Guests
We try to create an environment in which our guests feel at ease. We are a respectful, friendly couple, enjoying the peaceful surroundings of our retreat. We understand when our guests prefer to be quiet or, at other times, to have polite conversation.
We are surrounded by farms, forests, beautiful lakes and lots of fresh air away from the touristy areas, yet not too far from some of the most picturesque destinations in Maine. We are part of a vibrant creative community and a base for exploring off-the-beaten-path adventures. Depending on the season, there are many interesting, down-to-earth, inspiring things to see and do in the area. We recommend the less explored authentic treasures that are often hidden from the typical tourist attractions. Some of these include nearby Celebration Barn Theater, Jack's Greenhouse, Nezinscot Farm, Cooper Spring and Historic Paris Hill.
There is no public transportation in our town. You will need a car to get around. We are approximately 1 hour from Portland International Jetport (PWM).
Other Things to Note
1. Guests get clean sheets and clean towels.
2. It is very safe and secure where we are located so you shouldn’t have any problem getting locked in or locked out.
3. For some reason we get a lot of power surges during storms in our area. Be sure to plug your electronic devices into one of the surge protected outlets just in case.
4. Our well water is ok. But we keep a good supply of fresh spring water from an excellent source which pushes up from deep under a mountain just a few miles away. (Cooper Spring).
5. Our guest bathroom is very new and very clean, however, in the summer we highly recommend taking a morning shower outside in our very private outdoor shower. Ask us to lend you a robe. It’s very spa-like. You won’t be sorry!
6. Don't confuse BUCKFIELD with BUCKSPORT! We are located in BUCKFIELD which is sometimes confused with BUCKSPORT. The later is a town along the coast of Maine. We are located in Oxford County which is an hour inland. Some of our future plans include tree house accommodations, a sauna, platforms for tents or yurts, a cupola, a rooftop observatory-tanning deck with telescope, a giant swing, and herb and vegetable gardens.
We are pretty easy going. However, we do have a few simple rules.
1. No smoking inside the building.
2. No pets without special approval.
3. Buy your own food or chip in for groceries if sharing meals.
4. Wash your dishes or place them in the dish washer.
5. Help keep the building clean.
6. Appropriate footwear must be worn in our dance studio.
7. No juggling of fire indoors, sharp objects, or anything else that might damage the space.
8. Turn things off after you’re done using them.
9. Try to be quiet after 10 PM.
I'm a juggler and variety artist who tours nationally and internationally. I was initially drawn to Maine through my experiences taking workshops at the nearby Celebration Barn with a famous teacher named Tony Montanaro. Between tours I built an ideal space for creative work. I continue to improve and expand what it has to offer to travelers, artists, romantics, and adventurers. My partner, Andrea, often helps out when I have guests staying at my retreat. She is a vegan and vegetarian chef who works at a nearby college and is originally from Prague, Czech Republic.