A Private Retreat, Studio, & Guest House Focusing on the Arts and Better Living.
EUREKA is an alternative-style guest house. We bring together the arts, nature, and off-the-beaten-path experiences. We have clean, comfortable guest rooms, a 1200 square foot dance studio, a kitchen, nature trails, and other amenities like an outdoor shower. The retreat is located in a peaceful, authentic rural Maine town a comfortable distance from the touristy areas. The retreat was created and is managed by world renown juggler and touring artist Michael Menes.
Guests have access to kitchen facilities, laundry, barbecue, outdoor shower, wifi, and our dance studio.
Interaction with Guests
We try to create an environment in which our guests feel at ease. We are a respectful, friendly couple, enjoying the peaceful surroundings of our retreat. We understand when our guests prefer to be quiet or, at other times, to have polite conversation.
We are surrounded by farms, forests, beautiful lakes and lots of fresh air away from the touristy areas, yet not too far from some of the most picturesque destinations in Maine. We are part of a vibrant creative community and a base for exploring off-the-beaten-path adventures. Depending on the season, there are many interesting, down-to-earth, inspiring things to see and do in the area. We recommend the less explored authentic treasures that are often hidden from the typical tourist attractions. Some of these include nearby Celebration Barn Theater, Jack's Greenhouse, Nezinscot Farm, Cooper Spring and Historic Paris Hill.
There is no public transportation in our town. You will need a car to get around. We are approximately 1 hour from Portland International Jetport (PWM).
Other Things to Note
1. Guests get clean sheets and clean towels.
2. It is very safe and secure where we are located so you shouldn’t have any problem getting locked in or locked out.
3. For some reason we get a lot of power surges during storms in our area. Be sure to plug your electronic devices into one of the surge protected outlets just in case.
4. Our well water is ok. But we keep a good supply of fresh spring water from an excellent source which pushes up from deep under a mountain just a few miles away. (Cooper Spring).
5. Our guest bathroom is very new and very clean, however, in the summer we highly recommend taking a morning shower outside in our very private outdoor shower. Ask us to lend you a robe. It’s very spa-like. You won’t be sorry!
6. Don't confuse BUCKFIELD with BUCKSPORT! We are located in BUCKFIELD which is sometimes confused with BUCKSPORT. The later is a town along the coast of Maine. We are located in Oxford County which is an hour inland. Some of our future plans include tree house accommodations, a sauna, platforms for tents or yurts, a cupola, a rooftop observatory-tanning deck with telescope, a giant swing, and herb and vegetable gardens.
We are pretty easy going. However, we do have a few simple rules.
1. No smoking inside the building.
2. We don't allow pets, although we make exceptions if they are service animals that are professionally trained.
3. Buy your own food or chip in for groceries if sharing meals.
4. Wash your dishes or place them in the dish washer.
5. Help keep the building clean.
6. Appropriate footwear must be worn in our dance studio and we prefer if you take off your street shoes and leave them in our mud room.
7. No juggling of fire indoors, sharp objects, or anything else that might damage the space.
8. Turn things off after you’re done using them.
9. Try to be quiet after 10 PM.
The reservation was canceled the day before arrival. This is an automated posting.
We felt very welcome at Eureka Retreat. The surroundings were wonderful. The sitting room outside of the bedroom was great. The gluten free breakfast waffles were much appreciated. We had great conversations with Michael and his guest. We had picked up a rocking chair prior to our visit that he let us store out of the rain. It is in a lovely, rustic rural setting. I wish we would have had time to explore the surrounding area more. I would love to go back and stay longer at Eureka some time in the future. If I were a performer, I would love to use the beautiful studio Michael has created.
I unfortunately had to cancel at the last minute and never had the pleasure of meeting Michael. He was very helpful however, and as understanding as anyone would be given the circumstances.
The place was beautiful, the pictures do not do it justice. It was clean and tidy and located in a quiet area, within reasonable distance from White Mountain National Park. Michael is very interesting, as he is a man of many talents. He was also helpful in directions and suggestions for places around town. Highly recommended!!
First, Michael was very understanding about our awkward arrival time (not to mention the fact that we were staying for the weekend of the fourth of July). His house and property are gorgeous, and the photos don't do them justice. If you like natural wood and a minimalistic, quirky decor (we loved the knick-knacks in our room!), you'll find yourself at home and amused. The bed in our room (Guest Room 1) was extremely comfy. We didn't utilize the studio area, but it was quite impressive, and we can imagine that the theatrically inclined would certainly appreciate it.
Michael was very knowledgable about the surrounding area and its denizens and provided several recommendations for activities that we were unable to take him up on due to our packed schedule. He also provided coffee and breakfast (gluten free waffles, a rare treat for Julianne, with local honey and nuts).
On our second evening, Michael and his partner lit a bonfire in the backyard, and we were invited to join them. We sadly didn't get in until they'd gone to bed, but the bonfire was still smoldering and we were able to revive it with a little poking. It was a great cap to a great stay.
Michael's place is actually way better than the photos! He took a really Long time to design and build the house. This is such a lovely space by the perspective of an architecture student. And you will always find surprise in corners. Check Michael's sand collection and his old passport (it is truly amazing!!) Location was great, and if you came on a sunny day, you can see the stars at night without any light pollution, or even Milky Way if you are lucky! Michael has everything we needed, and provided us a lot of info before and after we arrived. And he made coffee and toast for us in the morning:) Michael is the best host that I ever met, he went to EVERY CORNERS OF THE EARTH! It was wonderful to hear his story from all over the world. We will definitely come back next time!!
I'm a juggler and variety artist who tours nationally and internationally. I was initially drawn to Maine through my experiences taking workshops at the nearby Celebration Barn with a famous teacher named Tony Montanaro. Between tours I built an ideal space for creative work. I continue to improve and expand what it has to offer to travelers, artists, romantics, and adventurers. My partner, Andrea, often helps out when I have guests staying at my retreat. She is a vegan and vegetarian chef who works at a nearby college and is originally from Prague, Czech Republic.