This is one of three bedrooms in our cozy and lively Austin house (located in the Hyde Park/North Loop area). It offers easy access to shops and restaurants, a short bus ride to downtown, and a free bike for adventuring around the city.
You'll be renting a bedroom in our house. It has a comfortable bed, a small sewing desk, a night stand, a dresser, and two closets (but only one will be available for use). The room has three windows, so it lets in lots of natural light if you open the curtains.
Renters have access to:
• 1 BEDROOM (available for one or two people)
• CLEAN BLANKETS, SHEETS, and TOWELS
• BIKE WITH LOCK, LIGHTS & AUSTIN BIKE MAP
We think that the best way to enjoy Austin is by bicycle and we several bikes to choose from. They may not be the nicest, fanciest bikes, but they'll get you where you need to go. Most people who borrow them are happy with them.
We have a washing machine and dryer that you're welcome to use.
• BREAKFAST MATERIALS
There are a few great food trailers and restaurants near our house. But in case you feel like relaxing at home in the morning, you're welcome to help yourself to coffee, tea, and whatever breakfast materials we have at the moment (fruit, bread, jams, granola, etc.)
We only have 1 bathroom (located in the main house) and we all have to share it. This hasn't ever been a problem, but it's something to keep in mind.
We love cooking and have lots of pots, pans, utensils, and spices for those who want to cook meals too.
• LIVING ROOM/PORCH AREA
We like to think of our place as one big compound where everyone shares the communal spaces (living/porch/backyard areas) and everyone feels welcome, so definitely don’t feel like you have to spend all your time in the room. We have a cozy living room and a big, screened-in back porch - perfect for reading, bird watching, or just relaxing.
• BACKYARD HANGOUT AREA
We have a massive backyard with a garden, bbq pit, picnic tables, hammocks, and hang out area. If you feel like hanging out in the yard and soaking up some sunshine, feel free. You'll often find us doing the same. :)
If you're someone who likes to keep to yourself, you'll have all the privacy you want in your room. The house is often pretty quiet during the week and we tend to keep busy, so minimal interaction with us is absolutely fine. We keep the common areas clean, and we're always respectful of our guests and their personal space.
If you're into a more social atmosphere, there will likely be plenty of opportunities for that too. Cristen works from home, so is around a lot. Miguel works during the weekdays, but is usually around otherwise. While Miguel and I are the only regular roommates (well except for Pandora and Fritz, the cats), we also host friends and other Airbnbers in our garage/office room from time to time. Sometimes we like having people over for food/drinks, movies, backyard bonfires, and other gatherings, and you're certainly welcome to join in on any activities we plan.
We want to make sure that those who stay with us feel comfortable and welcome, so if there's anything you need, just ask! We're happy to answer any questions or recommend things for you to do!
We live in the fun and friendly Hyde Park/North Loop area. We're located near the Hancock Shopping center, where there's a big grocery store (H-E-B) and a handful of other shops.
We're also within walking/biking distance to some great coffee shops and bars, bookstores, vintage stores, farmer's markets, yoga studios, a bike shop, a juice bar/vegan ice cream parlor, a donut shop, an all-vegan trailer park, and some great restaurants and food trailers.
Check out our guidebook for a more detailed breakdown of the places near us.
We're about 3 miles north of downtown and the University area. If you have a car, there's convenient street parking in front of the house. Otherwise, there's a bus stop nearby, and guests are also welcome to borrow bikes.
• Ride a Bike! It's a pretty relaxed, 10-15 minute bike ride (2-3 miles) to the capitol building/downtown/6th street area, though slightly more on the way back because it's a bit uphill. You can use the bike map to decide if this is a good option for you based on your itinerary and how much you like biking. We think that one of the best ways to enjoy Austin is by bicycle, and most people who have stayed with us have loved the freedom of being able to bike around the city.
• Take a Bus! There's a bus stop down the street from our house and Capital Metro's Trip Planner is pretty great for learning how to get from place to place. Single rides cost $1, a day pass costs $2. Buses generally arrive about every 20 minutes, but the buses aren't always on time and they don't run very late. You can also put bikes on the bus, but there is only space for two bikes (so depends on if they're already full or not).
• Walk! We live in a nice neighborhood and if you're just wanting to grab a bite to eat, buy some groceries, browse some shops, etc...there are some nice things to see and do in our area.
• Take a Cab! If you plan to stay out after midnight, you don't have a car, and you aren't up for biking...cabing it back home may be the best option. I'm not exactly sure about pricing, but some of our guests have taken cabs back home late at night and they said it wasn't too expensive.
While it’s nice to earn some spare cash by renting out our spare room(s), it's only worth it to us if we're sharing our living space with enjoyable people. Airbnb has been a good site for us because we love our happy home, feel it’s a great representation of Austin, and enjoy sharing it with people who will appreciate it too. That said, we know our house is not for everyone, so please read the following to make sure it suits you before you send us a request.
THIS IS A GREAT PLACE FOR YOU IF:
• You’re looking for an old, unconventional Austin house with a lot of character in a fun, friendly environment
• You're laid back, easy to get along with, and would rather stay with real people than in a sterile hotel
• You have a complete profile with a photo and are willing to send us a sincere, personalized request (if we're going to open up our house to you, we want to know who you are)
THIS IS NOT A GREAT PLACE FOR YOU IF:
• You are allergic to cats or don't like animals (we have two very friendly cats who freely wander around the house)
• You are traveling with pets (sorry - Pandora the cat loves humans, but she absolutely hates other animals!)
• You're messy and or creepy
I stayed with Cristen and Miguel during SXSW and it was great. These guys were so nice and accommodating. We had breakfast tacos every morning, we drank beer every day, and they pointed me to a bunch of shows/bands that I wouldn't have otherwise known about. The room was a good size and having a bike to borrow in Austin was a really fun and helpful way to get around when the taxi situation was fairly dire during SXSW. If/When I'm back in Austin, I will be sure to meet up with these fine people again!
Cristen and Miguel are wonderful hosts. The room was comfortable and they made me feel ver at home.
I didn't get a chance to hang out with Cristen and Miguel because they left town shortly after my arrival, but the place was just as advertised. They lent me a bike which worked fine, although I found the bus to be much easier and less sweat-inducing to get downtown. The room was comfortable and accessible. It felt very homey. Great outdoor porch to hang out. They also left bagels, coffee, and other great homemade food to snack on. Awesome experience--definitely recommend!
Cristen and Miguel were fabulous hosts and made their house a real home to me. It was the perfect base to go and explore the city with the bike. It was a blast. There even is a fridge in the room.
The next time I am in Austin I will go back there.
Staying with Cristen and Miguel in Austin was an absolute blessing. I have rarely felt as comfortable, at ease, at peace as I did in their home and in their company. They are beautiful people, with a beautiful space--authentic, cozy, fresh. Their cats, Pandora and Fritz, are simply legendary. Thank you so much, C and M, for embodying the meaning of hospitality and kindness. I will miss you!
Great space! Very Austin feel... All my needs were met and Miguel was a thoughtful and kind host. Miss the kitty already! Easy access to the bus routes and had a nice amount of privacy if that's yr thing. Would stay again:)
This is the final rate, including any fees from the host and Airbnb.