Renovated early 2014. Stunning views over bay from viewing lounge. Two floors, well separated areas for privacy or gathering together as the mood takes you. Wheelchair access throughout the ground floor. Weekly lets, Sat to Sat in season.
Julia’s has been entirely renovated to full modern standards with the works completed in May 2014.
Julia’s is set on two floors, with well separated areas allowing for privacy or gathering together with others as the mood takes you.
The rooms are spacious and light, with 270 degree views of the mountains behind the house, the whole of Dunmanus Bay, and fields to the front of the house.
The house is designed to accommodate those in wheelchairs as follows:
- Hard drop off area with ramp leading to entrance
- Level floors and spacious access through the Annex, conservatory, and lounge/tv/dining kitchen open room
- Large wet-room in the Annex, fitted out to current standards including shower with seat, loo, and railings at basin.
- Patios at front and back of house
The Annex is designed as a self-contained living area for extra privacy if wished.
Interaction with Guests
Guests will be welcomed and shown round the house, then left to enjoy the peace and quiet for the duration of their stay. Help and advice is always on hand as the hosts are readily available in the neighbourhood.
Gortduff is the most beautiful place, with lovely walks around the house or beautiful places to visit within 20 to 45 minutes - Barley Cove, Mizen Head, Crookhaven, Goleen, Schull, Ballydehob, Skibbereen, Bantry. Kenmare and the Ring of Kerry are a little further away through Bantry, or Clonakilty through Skibbereen.
During the summer there are many local markets to visit, and there are many activities locally, including horse riding, golf, sailing, or walking.
You will need a car to get to Gortduff and to enjoy the scenery and activities on offer. The nearest shops are in Goleen, some 10-15 minutes drive away, but bigger shops are in Schull, Bantry and Skibbereen.
Other Things to Note
Lettings : Standard arrangements:
- Saturday to Saturday
- Arrive after 4:00PM, depart by 10:00AM
- Special arrangements, eg early arrival, different days to arrive or depart : please contact us for special requirements. We will be as flexible as we can.
- Oil (for heating and hot water): metered, pay at the end of the week by the unit used
- Wi-fi: first 2 Gigs free, thereafter if needed pay as you go, by credit/debit card
We do not have a landline, we assume guests will have a mobile phone.
Please contact us with any special requirements eg cot. We will provide as best we can. With warning most things are possible! Including:
- Reliable baby sitters (subject to charge)
- Transport in the evening (subject to charge)
We expect guests to treat the house and facilities well, and to leave the house reasonably clean and tidy.
- No pets
- No smoking
We stayed with a lot of pleasure at Julia´s.
This holiday home made his promise more than true.
A great stay for rest seekers, nature lovers, sea lovers and tourists.
The House is spacious and enquipped with all comforts.
In addition, it offers a lot of privacy if you rent the House with several people. The view is more than beautiful and we were lucky to see a group of dolphins swimming in Dunmanus Bay.
The welcome was warm.
The area offers many opportunities. So we made:
- lovely walks in the immediate vicinity of the house
- a beautiful trip to Mizen Head
- a beatiful walk on three Castles Head
- an amazing boattrip to Cape Clear Island and Fastnet
- a trip to Sheeps Head Peninsula
- trips to Schull (harbour), Goleen, Ballydehob, Bantry
We visited beautiful Barley Cove, Crookhaven and did a lot of succesfull birdwatching.
Our home is in Hong Kong, as a family we speak English, Cantonese and Mandarin.
We have visited the Gortduff area every year since 1987 - it has been the ideal place for a family to grow up, make friends, learn about a relaxed non-urban way of life. We have modernised Julia's so that others can share the fun and pleasures of a holiday home here.
My interests are the Times cryptic crossword, reading pretty much anything from American crime novels through Jane Austen, walking, swimming, and chilling out.