About This Listing
This charming French Normandy cottage is a romantic retreat, private but close to downtown. Within walking & biking distance to bistros, movie theaters, restaurants, shops, grocery, famous Russian River Pub, bakery, bike trails, more!
• The cottage is a honeymoon hideaway or wedding guests' stay, a writer's retreat, or a comfortable home base for wine tasters, shoppers, bicyclists or even conference attendees.
• You're close to town but far enough away to avoid the hubbub of traffic and street noise. There's plenty of safe street parking and private gate access to the cottage and rear brick and ivy-walled courtyard. The cosy cottage is perfect for two.
• Check out our Pinterest page at (website hidden)
• You're welcome to sit at your own courtyard table with umbrella for breakfast or eat inside surrounded by antiques collected over the years. Or, sit under the wisteria overhang outside for snacks and wine!
Small fridge, dishes, and utensils are there for you. Do simple cooking with the microwave and toaster oven or enjoy meals at the hundreds of cafés, bistros, or restaurants in the area. When you're in Sonoma County Wine Country, you'll find the food just as fabulous as the wine!
Interaction with Guests
• We are full-time residents of the main house. You will see us coming and going, gardening, and doing chores all around the place. Of course we expect to meet you, but we know you are on a getaway holiday and may be on the go all the time.
• We're here if you need information, advice, or directions. There's about 60' between our home and the cottage to give you plenty of privacy.
• The Historic McDonald District invites your walking exploration of this and the adjacent streets filled with beautiful homes a century or more old. The trees are mature, the gardens are gorgeous, and the folks are friendly. Experience the history of the varying period architectural styles and imagine who may have resided in them a century ago.
• Find the McDonald Mansion or other homes where the movies "Shadow of a Doubt," "Scream," "All My Sons," "Pollyanna," and "Happy Land" were filmed.
• Go to our Pinterest page for lots more info: (website hidden)
• The wide streets invite bicycling--bring your own or rent at one of several nearby bicycle shops. You will find peace and beauty in the neighborhood during any season of the year. Bring a camera, too!
• City buses and taxis can take you here and there. Rental cars are available at the Charles Schulz Sonoma County Airport which is serviced by Horizon Air (Alaska)--about 15 minutes north. The Airporter bus travels back & forth from this regional airport to the Oakland and San Francisco airports. There are always bikes! This is biking country where you'll often see pelatons pedaling the back roads, including frequent Century Rides, the Grand Fondo, and the Tour de California!
• Here are some great spots you can walk to:
7 minute walk to Dierk's Midtown Café and Superburger
9 minute walk to Bruno's on 4th
4 minute walk to Pacific Market, Village Bakery, and Carmen's Burger Bar
20 minute walk to Luther Burbank Home & Gardens
11 minutes to bicycle to Prince Memorial Greenway trail system along Santa Rosa Creek
24 minutes to walk to the city center
• Jump in your car and within 10-15 minutes you can be at 10 different wineries east on Sonoma Hwy 12. Driving north or west will take you to hundreds of famous and fabulous wineries and tasting rooms.
Other Things to Note
• PLEASE NOTE: We are required by the City of Santa Rosa to collect a 9% "Transient Occupancy Tax" and a 3% "Tourism" tax from guests. It's now incorporated into the base room rate. We will give you a receipt to show that you've paid those extra charges.
• A complimentary bottle of wonderful Sonoma County wine awaits your arrival.
• French roast ground coffee and Cuisinart coffeemaker are in the kitchen. In the fridge are also bottled waters and juices.
• You'll also find a picnic basket outfitted with plasticware, napkins, and paper plates if you decide to go to one of our many local parks or a winery for a picnic. (Many wineries have gourmet delis where you can buy bread, cheese and other goodies to go with the wine you've just purchased. Then head outside to their picnic tables!)
• Our guest binder is filled with information about Santa Rosa and the surrounding area--maps to wineries, info about galleries and museums, restaurants, bike rental shops, the zip line, the ocean and beaches, the Russian River and canoe rental locations, and just about anything you'd like to know about our beautiful county and beyond.
• His and Hers bathrobes are available in the antique wardrobe.
• No smoking inside cottage. No pot, weed, period. No candles or open flames.
• We're not set up for pets.
• The cottage is not meant for families. But if you have one happy, young, quiet baby and a Pack 'n Play, we could discuss it.
• No partying or loud noises. This is an established neighborhood that expects quiet.
We had a wonderful time staying in the cottage! It wasn't big, but just the right size for a wine country get away for the two of us. We enjoyed our morning walks around the neighborhood. McDonald St was fantastic with the beautiful estates and the majestic McDonald Mansion! Gorgeous! We enjoyed walking to the local bakery for our tea and coffee and then picked up our cooked breakfast at the mom and pop grocers next door. Having breakfast at the small table in the bricked courtyard was so peacful! Bud and Sandy are wonderful hosts. Very personable and accomodating. We were greeted with a bottle of wine and cookies and scones! Wonderful! Four days was not enough to explore Sonoma County. We plan to return again and will make sure we book it with plenty of advanced notice to make sure we are able to stay in the cottage! It was a fantastic trip and I highly recommend making the quaint cottage a part of your plans! Thanks again Bud and Sandy!!!
This was our first AirBnB experience and what a wonderful experience it was. Bud and Sandy were warm and welcoming. The cottage was absolutely delightful. Our experience far exceeded our expectations!
Bud and Sandy warmly welcomed us to their home. Instructions before arrival were clear and very helpful. The cottage is delightful and has everything you need. Sitting out in the courtyard sipping our chilled bottle of chardonnay in the evening was a special treat. Bud and Sandy were very helpful with suggestions for dinner and were wonderful hosts.
Bud And Sandy are amazing hosts. They wrote nice messages and notes and tried to ensure that we had a great stay in the cottage. The cottage is nicely located in the middle of many great attractions. We had a great time.
This is the very best way to travel. Sandy and Bud are interesting, accomplished, people who graciously share their wonderful cottage with those who are exploring the area. They set the bar for others to follow.
Sandy and Bob's cottage was lovely. Bob was there to show us around and a bottle of wine was waiting for us, which we enjoyed in the beautiful courtyard. It was an easy 1 mile walk to Russian River, so the location was perfect for our needs. Be sure to stop at Tan's donuts on 4th, the apple fritters are amazing!
Staying at Bud and Sandy's beautiful cottage was so relaxing and comfortable. Sandy greeted us upon arrival and popped in to say goodbye since she was leaving to teach a class. We also were able to chat with them after dinner while they were outside. It was just like staying with a loving family, they were so friendly.
The cottage was clean, cozy, and filled with beautiful things. I loved the brick floor as it made it feel like the English Cottage, surrounded by the English Garden outside.
Wonderful stay, Thank you
About the Host, Bud And Sandy
Books, movies, writing, travel, gardening, teaching American history, good food, good friends and family. Can you guess who does what? Carpe diem is our motto!
One of the best bakeries in the county and practically across the street from us. Out-of-this-world pastries cakes, coffee plus salads and sandwiches for lunch. Closes at 2-3 p.m. Dont pass up!Town and Country Dr Santa Rosa CA 95404
Two streets east of us. Walk the entire historic district and see the wonderful period homes on wide streets. Viewing the McDonald Mansion is a must. We see something new in the area on every walk!McDonald Ave Santa Rosa CA 95404
One of the best places in town for breakfast or lunch. Right at the end of our street, walkable. Sit inside or out. Not large or noisy. Excellent food, speedy friendly service! We love to walk there.4th St Santa Rosa CA 95404
In small renovated house, delicious menu, great friendly service, takes under 10 minutes to walk from our place. We go there 3-4 times a month. Upscale homestyle. Tell Rick Sandy Bud sent you!4th St Santa Rosa CA 95404
This is where we go first for books. Best used bookstore around. Friendly. Packed with every kind of book. Carries discounted new books, cards calendars. Go out to dinner then wander over here.4th Street Santa Rosa CA 95404-4405
Award-winning Chinese food--best in whole North Bay. Eat in, take out. Either way, you cant beat it. Excellent service. Garys recommendations are Great!5th St Santa Rosa CA 95404
One of our favorite restaurants in S.R. Lots of free parking. Unique and truly delicious food. Eating outside is delightful. Wonderful shops all around in Montgomery Village. Chicos right there.Village Ct Santa Rosa CA 95405
This is a very large restaurant with absolutely outstanding, totally consistent food service. Amazingly reasonable! Right in center of town with bookstores shops there. Walk around at night.Old Courthouse Square Santa Rosa CA 95404
This is the best non-mall shopping center in town. Unique shops, great restaurants, P.O., beautifully maintained. Shop after shop on about 5 parallel streets. Top notch.Village Ct Santa Rosa CA 95405
Cantina Tequileria. REALLY good Mexican Southwest food. All kinds of Margaritas and great appetizers. Sit outside in good weather. Can be noisy inside but food very good. Kid-friendly, of course.4th St Santa Rosa CA 95401
Lovely mall in center of town. All kinds of shops. Apple Store! Clean, well-lighted, friendly.Santa Rosa Plaza Santa Rosa CA 95401
Beautiful home gardens practically in center of town. Memorializes our famous horticulturist. He developed Shasta Daisy thornless cactus.Santa Rosa Avenue Santa Rosa CA 95404
Visitor Convention Center in RR Square area. Theres information on EVERYTHING to do and see locally. Info on where to rent bikes or canoes or go ballooning! In historic RR Square.4th St Santa Rosa CA 95401
On the other side of town. Unique shops, great restaurants, visitors center is there + park dedicated to Peanuts. Fun to walk around. A block from Santa Rosa Plaza.4th Street Santa Rosa CA 95401
We mostly call it the Peanuts or Charlie Brown Museum. Dedicated to Charles Schulz his comic characters. He lived and worked in SR. Youll see the huge characters all over town.Hardies Lane Santa Rosa CA 95403-2668
Your kids wont want to leave. All kinds of hands-on activities, climb-ons, water features, art activities, huge caterpillar butterflies you manipulate. Dedicated to butterflies habitat gardening.W Steele Ln Santa Rosa CA 95403
Oh, the ribs, smoked brisket, shrimp grits! Try to make a reservation. Popular cause food drinks are good! Southern-Texas BBQ flavors. You wont go away hungry. Love it.Stagecoach Road Santa Rosa CA 95404
Beautiful park between Badger Montecito. Picnic area with tables, play equipment, plenty of space for soccer volley ball, plus an enclosed dog park with creek pond. Dogs owners love it.Badger Rd Santa Rosa CA 95409
Its a great restaurant bar in renovated roadhouse. Specializes in small plates--started the trend here. Not inexpensive but worth every cent with the fabulous combinations and flavors.Old Redwood Highway Santa Rosa CA 95403
The former home of Santa Rosa Symphony. Books national and internationally known poets, artists, musicians, bands, comedians, etc. throughout the year. Has a wonderful childrens series. Free park.Mark West Springs Road Santa Rosa CA 95403
Very upscale for special occasions. Elegant. Outstanding menu and service. Lovely outside in enclosed patio, too. Grow own vegetables herbs. A beautiful place.Barnes Road Santa Rosa CA 95403
Riding in big safari truck, youll think youve gone straight to the Serengeti! Lots of interesting wild animals. Stay overnight in beautiful African cabins. Dinner breakfast. Not cheap. Worth it!Porter Creek Road Santa Rosa CA 95404
A new, fabulous music hall, home to very excellent Santa Rosa Symphony which plays in Weill Hall. Has another series of pop, rock, opera, and other performers throughout the year. Picnic outside.E Cotati Ave Rohnert Park CA 94928
Walk the 2-3 blocks to see some of the most fantastical and interesting sculptures by famed artist Patrick Amiot. You wont believe his creativity in using recycled materials! Take your camera.Florence Ave Sebastopol CA 95472
American roadhouse menu, great bands on outdoor stage in summer, dance floor, beautiful pool. Youll love it! (website hidden) and (website hidden)Canyon 2 Rd Rio Nido CA 95471