About This Listing
This charming French Normandy cottage is a romantic retreat, private but close to downtown. Within walking & biking distance to bistros, movie theaters, restaurants, shops, grocery, famous Russian River Pub, bakery, bike trails, more!
• The cottage is a honeymoon hideaway or wedding guests' stay, a writer's retreat, or a comfortable home base for wine tasters, shoppers, bicyclists or even conference attendees.
• You're close to town but far enough away to avoid the hubbub of traffic and street noise. There's plenty of safe street parking and private gate access to the cottage and rear brick and ivy-walled courtyard. The cosy cottage is perfect for two.
• Check out our Pinterest page at (website hidden)
• You're welcome to sit at your own courtyard table with umbrella for breakfast or eat inside surrounded by antiques collected over the years. Or, sit under the wisteria overhang outside for snacks and wine!
Small fridge, dishes, and utensils are there for you. Do simple cooking with the microwave and toaster oven or enjoy meals at the hundreds of cafés, bistros, or restaurants in the area. When you're in Sonoma County Wine Country, you'll find the food just as fabulous as the wine!
Interaction with Guests
• We are full-time residents of the main house. You will see us coming and going, gardening, and doing chores all around the place. Of course we expect to meet you, but we know you are on a getaway holiday and may be on the go all the time.
• We're here if you need information, advice, or directions. There's about 60' between our home and the cottage to give you plenty of privacy.
• The Historic McDonald District invites your walking exploration of this and the adjacent streets filled with beautiful homes a century or more old. The trees are mature, the gardens are gorgeous, and the folks are friendly. Experience the history of the varying period architectural styles and imagine who may have resided in them a century ago.
• Find the McDonald Mansion or other homes where the movies "Shadow of a Doubt," "Scream," "All My Sons," "Pollyanna," and "Happy Land" were filmed.
• Go to our Pinterest page for lots more info: (website hidden)
• The wide streets invite bicycling--bring your own or rent at one of several nearby bicycle shops. You will find peace and beauty in the neighborhood during any season of the year. Bring a camera, too!
• City buses and taxis can take you here and there. Rental cars are available at the Charles Schulz Sonoma County Airport which is serviced by Horizon Air (Alaska)--about 15 minutes north. The Airporter bus travels back & forth from this regional airport to the Oakland and San Francisco airports. There are always bikes! This is biking country where you'll often see pelatons pedaling the back roads, including frequent Century Rides, the Grand Fondo, and the Tour de California!
• Here are some great spots you can walk to:
7 minute walk to Dierk's Midtown Café and Superburger
9 minute walk to Bruno's on 4th
4 minute walk to Pacific Market, Village Bakery, and Carmen's Burger Bar
20 minute walk to Luther Burbank Home & Gardens
11 minutes to bicycle to Prince Memorial Greenway trail system along Santa Rosa Creek
24 minutes to walk to the city center
• Jump in your car and within 10-15 minutes you can be at 10 different wineries east on Sonoma Hwy 12. Driving north or west will take you to hundreds of famous and fabulous wineries and tasting rooms.
Other Things to Note
• PLEASE NOTE: We are required by the City of Santa Rosa to collect a 9% "Transient Occupancy Tax" and a 3% "Tourism" tax from guests. It's now incorporated into the base room rate. We will give you a receipt to show that you've paid those extra charges.
• A complimentary bottle of wonderful Sonoma County wine awaits your arrival.
• French roast ground coffee and Cuisinart coffeemaker are in the kitchen. In the fridge are also bottled waters and juices.
• You'll also find a picnic basket outfitted with plasticware, napkins, and paper plates if you decide to go to one of our many local parks or a winery for a picnic. (Many wineries have gourmet delis where you can buy bread, cheese and other goodies to go with the wine you've just purchased. Then head outside to their picnic tables!)
• Our guest binder is filled with information about Santa Rosa and the surrounding area--maps to wineries, info about galleries and museums, restaurants, bike rental shops, the zip line, the ocean and beaches, the Russian River and canoe rental locations, and just about anything you'd like to know about our beautiful county and beyond.
• His and Hers bathrobes are available in the antique wardrobe.
• No smoking inside cottage. No pot, weed, period. No candles or open flames.
• We're not set up for pets.
• The cottage is not meant for families. But if you have one happy, young, quiet baby and a Pack 'n Play, we could discuss it.
• No partying or loud noises. This is an established neighborhood that expects quiet.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and Sandy and Bud were excellent hosts. Susan met us with some freshly baked scones and made us feel very welcomed. After providing a tour of our living space, Susan provided some great insights on some local eateries. The place is perfectly located in the middle of wine country. Great place to stay!
We had a wonderful time at Bud and Sandy's guesthouse. It was well-appointed and very comfortable. The gardens are stunning and we enjoyed the backyard oasis. Their home is in a beautiful historic district of Santa Rosa, easily walk-able to downtown. We appreciated their calm and friendly demeanor, and helpful hints on where to eat/visit. Thank you again Bud and Sandy!
We had a lovely stay at the cosy wine country cottage. With plenty of room for two and a door between the bedroom and main area, I was able to work while hubby took a nap. My favorite experience about our short stay was visiting the lovely garden and chatting with the Bud and Sandy. Oh, and the cottage is walking distance to some wonderful restaurants!
It was a nice cottage with beautiful garden. We had a long drive from mammoth lake and arrived late that day. And I don't have wifi during the trip, so cannot contact Sandy during the day time. Sandy has been waiting for us until the afternoon, gave me very good advice on winery and restaurant. We had a great time there. The house is not big, but cozy and well organized. I love to enjoy the peace in the sunny garden.
Qi, it was so nice to meet you and Louie from China. You were very adventuresome driving here all the way from Yosemite! We were so glad when you finally arrived and that you enjoyed your stay here. Your timing as good as you got to see our gardens in their spring glory. Come back and visit again!
This beautiful little cottage is a perfect retreat for couples! We wish we would have been able to stay more than one night during our recent CA trip. Sandy was an extremely generous host and it was so nice to meet her upon arrival and be given a tour of the cottage. The delicious homemade treats, cold juice and water were very much appreciated!
The cottage is located in a very nice residential neighborhood and we were able to walk to most places we wanted to visit, including Russian River Brewery. We loved being able to enjoy our after dinner drinks at the table in Sandy's beautiful garden.
We hope everyone enjoy's this cottage and Sandy and Bud's hospitality as much as we did during our short stay!
The place was fantastic! The hosts were so great and even had treats on the table to welcome us, which were delicious! We will definitely stay here again next time were in Santa Rosa. Thanks Bud & Sandy!
Our expirience was absolutely wonderful! The cottage and surrounding gardens were gorgeous. Such a pleasure! Can't wait to return.
About the Host, Bud And Sandy
Books, movies, writing, travel, gardening, teaching American history, good food, good friends and family. Can you guess who does what? Carpe diem is our motto!
One of the best bakeries in the county and practically across the street from us. Out-of-this-world pastries & cakes, coffee plus salads and sandwiches for lunch. Closes at 2-3 p.m. Don't pass up!
Two streets east of us. Walk the entire historic district and see the wonderful period homes on wide streets. Viewing the McDonald Mansion is a must. We see something new in the area on every walk!
One of the best places in town for breakfast or lunch. Right at the end of our street, walkable. Sit inside or out. Not large or noisy. Excellent food, speedy friendly service! We love to walk there.
In small renovated house, delicious menu, great friendly service, takes under 10 minutes to walk from our place. We go there 3-4 times a month. Upscale homestyle. Tell Rick Sandy & Bud sent you!
This is where we go first for books. Best used bookstore around. Friendly. Packed with every kind of book. Carries discounted new books, cards & calendars. Go out to dinner & then wander over here.
Award-winning Chinese food--best in whole North Bay. Eat in, take out. Either way, you can't beat it. Excellent service. Gary's recommendations are Great!
One of our favorite restaurants in S.R. Lots of free parking. Unique and truly delicious food. Eating outside is delightful. Wonderful shops all around in Montgomery Village. Chico's right there.
This is a very large restaurant with absolutely outstanding, totally consistent food & service. Amazingly reasonable! Right in center of town with bookstores & shops there. Walk around at night.
This is the best non-mall shopping center in town. Unique shops, great restaurants, P.O., beautifully maintained. Shop after shop on about 5 parallel streets. Top notch.
Cantina & Tequileria. REALLY good Mexican & Southwest food. All kinds of Margaritas and great appetizers. Sit outside in good weather. Can be noisy inside but food very good. Kid-friendly, of course.
Lovely mall in center of town. All kinds of shops. Apple Store! Clean, well-lighted, friendly.
Beautiful home & gardens practically in center of town. Memorializes our famous horticulturist. He developed Shasta Daisy & thornless cactus.
Visitor & Convention Center in RR Square area. There's information on EVERYTHING to do and see locally. Info on where to rent bikes or canoes or go ballooning! In historic RR Square.
On the "other" side of town. Unique shops, great restaurants, visitors' center is there + park dedicated to Peanuts. Fun to walk around. A block from Santa Rosa Plaza.
We mostly call it the Peanuts or Charlie Brown Museum. Dedicated to Charles Schulz & his comic characters. He lived and worked in SR. You'll see the huge characters all over town.
Your kids won't want to leave. All kinds of hands-on activities, climb-ons, water features, art activities, huge caterpillar & butterflies you manipulate. Dedicated to butterflies & habitat gardening.
Oh, the ribs, smoked brisket, shrimp & grits! Try to make a reservation. Popular 'cause food & drinks are good! Southern-Texas BBQ flavors. You won't go away hungry. Love it.
Beautiful park between Badger & Montecito. Picnic area with tables, play equipment, plenty of space for soccer & volley ball, plus an enclosed dog park with creek & pond. Dogs & owners love it.
It's a great restaurant & bar in renovated roadhouse. Specializes in "small plates"--started the trend here. Not inexpensive but worth every cent with the fabulous combinations and flavors.
The former home of Santa Rosa Symphony. Books national and internationally known poets, artists, musicians, bands, & comedians, etc. throughout the year. Has a wonderful children's series. Free park.
Very upscale for special occasions. Elegant. Outstanding menu and service. Lovely outside in enclosed patio, too. Grow own vegetables & herbs. A beautiful place.
Riding in big safari truck, you'll think you've gone straight to the Serengeti! Lots of interesting wild animals. Stay overnight in beautiful African cabins. Dinner & breakfast. Not cheap. Worth it!
A new, fabulous music hall, home to very excellent Santa Rosa Symphony which plays in Weill Hall. Has another series of pop, rock, opera, and other performers throughout the year. Picnic outside.
Walk the 2-3 blocks to see some of the most fantastical and interesting sculptures by famed artist Patrick Amiot. You won't believe his creativity in using recycled materials! Take your camera.
American roadhouse menu, great bands on outdoor stage in summer, dance floor, beautiful pool. You'll (website hidden)house.(website hidden)oadhouse/