14% TOT tax INCLUDED!! (City-imposed Transient Occupancy Tax)
Please note...if the cottage is unavailable for your dates, we may be able to offer the front, main (larger) house with one bedroom for a similar or slightly higher rate, depending on the season. Please see our other listings--including for the other house with option to have two or three bedrooms--for more info and photos. Thanks for taking a look!
If you’ll be here on vacation, here for work but want a homier setting, or are just looking for a place to land while relocating, we’re in a great location…it’s a private, cozy, charming, garden setting in the thick of our urban hustle and bustle! A perfect mix of quiet and serenity at home—a great setting for creative types—and lively, interesting places to eat, play and shop nearby.
We’re creative types ourselves, working (sometimes in the front, main house, and occasionally out of town) in TV, film, and home renovation, and have hosted TV and screenwriters, filmmakers, composers, actors, music producers, opera singers, chefs, urban farming planners, costume designers, internet gurus, a language translator, physicians, lawyers, professors, journalists and photographers.
We’d love to know a bit about you, and what brings you to the area, and would be happy to tell you more about us, answer any questions you have about the property or the area, and can provide a list of references, too. Thanks for checking out our cottage, and best of luck finding the perfect spot for your LA visit!
+ Charming Hilltop 1920s Craftsman Garden Guest Cottage +
• Cozy yet light and airy, detached private guest cottage with lots of windows, looking out to greenery from every room (approx. 660 sq ft + deck/porches for total approx. 750 sq ft)
• Large bedroom (12’x13’) with walk-in closet (3’x5’) – Furnished with a California King bed.
• Living room (11’x18’) w/French doors leading to private rear sundeck (8’x13’), lawn, pebble patio, trees & room to garden or read in the sun in your own small private backyard (50’ wide x 15’ deep, from the house to the creeping fig-covered wall and trellis)
• Arched-entry dining area (8’x7’) with original built-in cabinetry and view of hills
• Converted sun-filled tiny screened-in porch (5’x6’) off kitchen – Great for breakfast for one, a mini office, as storage, or even as litterbox room! (Currently furnished as a writer's nook, with a small table and chair that can easily be removed)
• Hardwood and tile floors, and great moldings throughout
• Tiled kitchen (8’x10’) with refrigerator, vintage stove, microwave and douglas fir wood floors
• Tiled bathroom (5’x9’) with original deep tub beneath private window with woodsy view
• Your own washer and dryer
• A/C window unit and gas wall heater
• Feels very light and airy, and very private even though the yard in front is shared with front main house
• Utilities included (Including power, water, gas, and wifi). No TV or landline phone provided.
• Fully furnished, including equipped kitchen, housewares and linens – Just bring your suitcase and groceries!
Please note that some photos shown were taken before we changed the paint colors (from green to neutral), but we’ve included them to give you a sense of how the space is laid out.
• Continental breakfast available upon request, for shorter stays. Ask us more about this!
• Will consider pets with additional pet deposit – see below. Yard may have the occasional well-behaved cat or dog visiting with their owners as guests in our front main house.
• We prefer non-smokers. All smoking is permitted outside only.
• Secure, key-entry gated property / Up about 40 steps
• Ample non-restrictive street parking on quiet street, usually within 4-5 driveways of our driveway. There are no parking time limitations (other than the city-wide 72 hr limit) nor “street cleaning” days, and no residential parking permits are required.
• Front house is owner-occupied (+ 1-2 quiet roommates, early 40s creative professionals + happy baby! ...some/all of whom are sometimes out of town with family or for work)
• Large shared yard (50’x50’) in between your cottage and our main front house (where we live and sometimes rent out up to two of our four bedrooms—see our other listing on Airbnb). Yard has a lawn, rose garden with pebble path, fruit trees (lemon, white sapote, kumquat and fig), brick patio, firepit (we sometimes have a stash of firewood!), weber gas bbq, hammock, tree house and vegetable and herb garden (vegetable garden and grapevines are a bit dormant this time of year, though!). Depending on the season and weather, our homemade ping pong table, boules, croquet or badminton sets might be set up on the lawn and are ready for your use! The entire back yard and all of your cottage and private back yard are fenced in, on our 8,000 sq ft lot. Also consider yourself forewarned of the occasional skunk, raccoon or opossum (we even had two coyote sightings) come dusk!
• The cottage is nestled, hilltop, behind our front main house, up about 40 stairs. We’re in a wonderful, quiet, hilly neighborhood, north of Sunset Blvd. on the border of Echo Park and Silver Lake.
• It’s just a few blocks to Echo Park, Edendale Library, Urth Yoga, quirky indie boutique shops and restaurants, etc. in Echo Park: Downbeat Café, Brite Spot, Pho Cafe, Mohawk Bend, Miyako Sushi, Masa, as well as Vons, Rite Aid, gas stations and fast food, too. Silver Lake Reservoir and walking path, and the adjoining newly opened Meadows park (great for afternoon kite flying!) area are also a brisk walk away.
• Also nearby: Silver Lake’s Sunset Junction, Trader Joe's, Vista Theater, Los Feliz Village, Atwater Village, Downtown LA (each of these areas with its own Farmers Markets), Dodger Stadium (we've walked the 1-1.5 miles there for a game), Chinatown and the (phone number hidden) and 2 freeways. Silver Lake is central to Hollywood/Burbank/Glendale studios. Various buses stop at the nearby Sunset Bl. and Coronado St. intersection. Our "walk score" is 85, “Very Walkable”!...but don't forget to account for the fairly steep hills you have to climb and descend if you'll shop for heavy groceries on foot!
• The rental rate listed on Airbnb includes a 14% Transient Occupancy Tax required by the City of Los Angeles for all stays of 30 days or less. See our reduced weekly or monthly rates for longer stays.
• Please also note that in addition to our rental rate listed here, Airbnb charges you their own booking fee of 6-12% of the final rental reservation amount, on top of our rental rate. As the hosts, we are also charged a fee, which we do not pass on to you.
• Cleaning fee – We include a $20 cleaning fee which will be reflected in your final reservation amount. This is for standard cleaning and any additional cleaning (such as for a sink full of dirty dishes!), will be extra. The $20 cleaning fee applies to 1-2 night stays. Any stay of 3 nights or longer will have an additional $55 cleaning fee added on (at time of reservation), for a $75 total cleaning fee.
• Number of guests – With the aerobed we offer, the cottage can accommodate up to four people, for an additional $10/night per additional person after the first guest. As the cottage is definitely on the cozy side, we do not recommend longer stays for more than two people, though! Any impromptu additional overnight guests’ rental rate will be taken out of deposit, as well.
• Pets - Small, well-behaved pets will be considered. Please tell us about your pet before booking. See pet deposit, below.
• Deposits – For shorter term stays, we charge a $300 refundable deposit. For longer term stays, we charge a higher deposit, depending on length of stay, and your references, etc. Pet deposit is $200 and up, depending on your type of pet.
Coming soon! Please check back here before arrival for more information.
This is a SMOKING OUTSIDE ONLY house. Please dispose of cigarette butts and ashes directly into trash cans in garages after they have fully cooled.
My boyfriend & I just moved to LA and needed a place to stay for the month while we looked for our permanent home. This was just the perfect spot for us to land & we even met cool new friends staying in the main house across the yard. While we never met Jodi & Jason in person, they left super helpful information about the area and stayed in touch the entire time. If you're looking for a beautiful cozy getaway in a great location, the cottage has everything you need. The fruit trees, garden & hammock were a huge bonus- we sampled cumquats right off the vine! For a first time airbnb experience, we really feel we hit the jackpot. Thanks Jodi & Jason!
Jodi and Jason (and Maddie) went to great pains to make our stay at their cottage a pleasant one, responding super quickly to any concerns we had whenever we had them. Firstly, they managed the huge feat of furnishing the entire house in one day so that we could move in as soon as possible after long term tenants left and we remain truly grateful. Jodi made sure we had everything we needed, welcoming us with wine, fruit, coffee beans and grinder, and all kinds of lovely treats. We had everything we needed in the kitchen and the deck in particular was a beautiful, oasis-like place to eat in the evenings, under the shade of the redwood tree and the magical fairy lights. The house was furnished with all kinds of lovely, thoughtful little touches and an incredibly comfortable California King size bed. Outside, the garden is lovingly tended and our little boy spent hours searching for bees and butterflies amongst the flowers.
The house is in a fantastic location, close to everything sunset blvd has to offer, restaurants, cafes, interesting boutiques, yoga, etc, as well as being two minutes by car from silver lake reservoir or echo park lake in the other direction. If you choose to stay here, you'll love it. Cozy, eclectic, peaceful little respite from res of the buzz of LA. Plus, a beautiful view of the hills from the front of the bigger house.
This host has 85 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
We are a couple of liberal, outdoorsy, creative professionals (+ 1 yr old baby now, too!), dividing our time between LA and Santa Barbara, who like to cook/bbq/have a few friends over for occasional cocktails on the front porch. We're laid back (but like things tidy) and friendly, yet respectful of everyone's privacy. After a quick tour, you may not even see much of us! We've been in the Echo Park / Silver Lake area for over 10 years, so feel free to pick our brains for local tips!