14% TOT tax INCLUDED!! (City-imposed Transient Occupancy Tax)
If you’ll be here on vacation, here for work but want a homier setting, or are just looking for a place to land while relocating, we’re in a great location…it’s a private, cozy, charming, garden setting in the thick of our urban hustle and bustle! A perfect mix of quiet and serenity at home—a great setting for creative types—and all manner of hip happenings nearby.
We’re creative types ourselves, working (sometimes in the front, main house, and occasionally out of town) in TV, film, eco-friendly apparel, and home renovation, and have hosted TV and screenwriters, filmmakers, composers, actors, music producers, opera singers, chefs, urban farming planners, costume designers, internet gurus, a language translator, physicians, lawyers, professors, journalists and photographers.
We’d love to know a bit about you, and what brings you to the area, and would be happy to tell you more about us, answer any questions you have about the property or the area, and can provide a list of references, too. Thanks for checking out our cottage, and best of luck finding the perfect spot for your LA visit!
+ Charming Hilltop 1920s Craftsman Garden Guest Cottage +
• Cozy yet light and airy, detached private guest cottage with lots of windows, looking out to greenery from every room (approx. 660 sq ft + deck for total approx. 750 sq ft)
• Large bedroom (12’x13’) with walk-in closet (3’x5’) – To be furnished with full-sized bed or larger…tbd (see notes below)
• Living room (11’x18’) w/French doors leading to private rear sundeck (8’x13’), lawn, pebble patio, trees & room to garden or read in the sun in your own small private backyard (50’ wide x 15’ deep, from the house to the creeping fig-covered wall and trellis)
• Arched-entry dining area (8’x7’) with original built-in cabinetry and view of hills
• Converted sun-filled tiny screened-in porch (5’x6’) off kitchen – Great for breakfast for one, a mini office, as storage, or even as litterbox room! (We will probably furnish with a small table and chair that can easily be removed)
• Hardwood and tile floors, and great moldings throughout
• Tiled kitchen (8’x10’) with refrigerator, vintage stove, microwave and douglas fir wood floors
• Tiled bathroom (5’x9’) with original deep tub beneath private window with woodsy view
• Your own washer and dryer
• A/C window unit and gas wall heater
• Feels very light and airy, and very private even though the yard in front is shared with front main house
• Utilities included (Including power, water, gas, basic cable TV and wifi. Depending on length of stay, premium cable may be available for additional sum. No landline phone provided, but borrow ours in the front house in a pinch! Nationwide calls on our landline phone only, no international calls please.)
• To be fully furnished, including equipped kitchen, housewares and linens – Just bring your suitcase and groceries!
Please note that furnishings in the photos shown here reflect one possible look and feel of new furnishings that will go in when the current long-term tenants depart mid-December 2011. Actual furniture and décor will be different, but comparable (if a bit less neutral in color!). Other photos shown were taken before we changed the paint colors (from green to neutral), but we’ve included them to give you a sense of how the space is laid out. Check back after mid-December for newly posted photos of updated furnishings.
• Continental breakfast available upon request. Ask us more about this!
• Will consider pets with additional pet deposit – see below. Yard already has one mature cat, plus the occasional well-behaved cat or dog visiting with their owners as guests in our front main house.
• We prefer non-smokers. All smoking is permitted outside only.
• Secure, key-entry gated property / Up about 40 steps
• Ample non-restrictive street parking on quiet street, usually within 4-5 driveways of our driveway. There are no parking time limitations or “street cleaning” days, and no residential parking permits are required.
• Front house is owner-occupied (+ 1-3 quiet roommates, 30-something creative professionals)
• Large shared yard (50’x50’) in between your cottage and our main front house (where we live and sometimes rent out up to two of our four bedrooms—see our other listing on Airbnb). Yard has a lawn, rose garden with pebble path, fruit trees (lemon, white sapote, and fig), grape vines, brick patio, firepit (just bring firewood!), weber gas bbq, hammock, tree house and vegetable and herb garden (vegetable garden and grapevines are a bit dormant this time of year, though!). Depending on the season and weather, our homemade ping pong table, croquet or badminton sets might be set up on the lawn and are ready for your use! The entire back yard and all of your cottage and private back yard are fenced in, on our 8,000 sq ft lot. Also consider yourself forewarned of the occasional skunk, raccoon or opossum (we even had two coyote sightings) come dusk!
• The cottage is privately nestled, hilltop, behind our front main house, up about 40 stairs. We’re in a wonderful, quiet, hilly neighborhood, north of Sunset Blvd. on the border of Echo Park and Silver Lake.
• It’s just a few blocks to Echo Park (whose actual lake in the park is, sad to say, being drained and renovated over the next 18 mos or so!), Edendale Library, Urth Yoga, quirky indie boutique shops and restaurants, etc. in Echo Park: Downbeat Café, Brite Spot, Pho Cafe, Mohawk Bend, Miyako Sushi, City Sip, Masa, as well as Vons, Rite Aid, gas stations and fast food, too. Silver Lake Reservoir and walking path, and the adjoining newly opened Meadows park (great for afternoon kite flying!) area are also a brisk walk away.
• Also nearby: Silver Lake’s Sunset Junction, Trader Joe's, Vista Theater, Los Feliz Village, Atwater Village, Downtown LA (each of these areas with its own Farmers Markets), Dodger Stadium (we've walked the 1-1.5 miles there for a game before! . . .even though baseball season's over, there are sometimes concerts at the stadium), Chinatown and the (phone number hidden) and 2 freeways. Silver Lake is central to Hollywood/Burbank/Glendale studios. Various buses stop at the nearby Sunset Bl. and Coronado St. intersection. Our "walk score" is 85, “Very Walkable”!...but don't forget to account for the fairly steep hills you have to climb and descend if you'll shop for heavy groceries on foot!
• The rental rate listed on Airbnb includes a 14% Transient Occupancy Tax required by the City of Los Angeles for all stays of 30 days or less. (Our base rental rate is $73 + the TOT tax = $83 total) See our reduced weekly or monthly rates for longer stays.
• Please also note that in addition to our rental rate listed here, Airbnb charges you their own booking fee of 6-12% of the final rental reservation amount, on top of our rental rate. As the hosts, we are also charged a fee, which we do not pass on to you.
• Cleaning fee – We include an $18 cleaning fee which will be reflected in your final reservation amount. This only covers a typical cleaning for 1-2 night stays, so we will keep at least another $47 of the deposit (for $65 total cleaning fee, on up, at an additional $18/hr rate), either for a longer stay, or if the cleaning required exceeds light dusting, vacuuming and light bathroom and kitchen cleaning. Basically, if you stay more than a few nights and other than changing the linens, the cottage is not left as you found it (there are more than a couple of dirty dishes, or more than a quick wipe down of the kitchen is needed, etc.), then expect to pay extra!
• Number of guests – With the aerobed we offer, the cottage can accommodate up to four people, for an additional $25/night for one additional person after the first two guests, or an additional $40/night for two additional people after the first two guests. As the cottage is definitely on the cozy side, we do not recommend longer stays for more than two people, though! Any impromptu additional overnight guests’ rental rate will be taken out of deposit, as well.
• Pets - Small, well-behaved pets will be considered. Please tell us about your pet before booking. See pet deposit, below.
• Deposits – For shorter term stays, we charge a $300 refundable deposit, which will be reflected in your final reservation amount. For longer term stays, we charge a higher deposit, depending on length of stay, and your references, etc. Pet deposit is $200 and up, depending on your type of pet.
|Room type:||Entire home/apt|
|Bed type:||Real Bed|
|Extra people:||$15 / night after 2 guests|
|Weekly Price:||$1200 /week|
|Monthly Price:||$3750 /month|
|Check In:||4:00 PM|
|Check Out:||11:00 AM|
We really loved to stay at Jodi & Jason's!
We didn't meet Jodi but she was reactive and helpful by email. Jason is a great host. We shared great moments with him. The house is charming and the neighborhood is great. We definitely recommend staying at their place!
Very accommodating. Lovely home with beautiful views. Would definitely recommend, and will stay again.
Jodi and Jason are the best! When I stayed with them I was by myself, passing through LA on a business trip. They made me feel at home. Their house is adorable and quirky, their baby daughter is very behaved (at least during my stay), the bed is comfortable, and the water pressure is fine. No complaints. It is also within walking distance of some great breakfast joints and other establishments. Jodi and Jason clearly love their neighborhood and can point you in the direction of some nice local spots. Highly recommend!
Great stay at Jodi and Jason's place. Perfect location, comfy beds and great outdoor areas!
Jodi and Jason's home was just what my group of 4 was looking for. The beds were comfortable, the kitchen was well-equipped, the living room was inviting, and the fire pit was perfect for chilly nights. Jodi and Jason were very accommodating and maintained good communication throughout the booking process and our stay. I would recommend booking with Jodi and Jason to anyone!
The house was perfectly located for our business requirements, we had great communication from Jodi and Jason, their home was very well facilitated and comfortable, no complaints at all from us, thank you Jodi and Jason!
A wonderful first AirBnB experience for me. Jodi and Jason were both very cool and a great resource for my first time in LA. Parking was easy, room was clean and air-conditioned, and I loved napping in the backyard hammock when I wasn't checking out Silver Lake. I actually took a photo of their list of local restaurants and other attractions for use later in my trip. They even left me some homemade veggie quiche in the morning that I didn't eat only b/c I don't like eggs.
I really enjoyed staying with Jodi & Jason. They were very easy going and accommodated me on a last minute basis, as well as had the room ready for some of the extras that I asked for.
The location of the home is perfect, I arrived late at night, but by the next morning, I "got" why people moved to LA. The views from the house are awesome and you're not far away from a ton of fun bars and restaurants. There was even a flea market right down the street. The parking is easy on the street and Jodi & Jason made it even easier for me which was nice of them.
I would definitely stay here again.
Great hosts - friendly but unobtrusive. The room & house were lovely. We had a great stay. Would recommend.