About this listing
An amazing high ceiling loft with great views in the heart of all the action. Comfy beds, perfect location, private, and literally close to everything: Michigan Ave, Lake MI, the river & beach, 100s of restaurants, public transportation, & more!
PLEASE READ > After 85+ 5-star bookings I've learned to be thorough for a great experience!
1) 1-3 GUESTS, PRIVATE ROOM: The guest room queen bed comfortably sleeps 2 people. A twin mattress can be put on the floor for a 3rd person, which is tight, but works. Price as listed.
2) 3-7 GUESTS, MASTER ROOM: I sleep in the guest room, and your party can have the master bedroom with queen bed, with room for two twin beds on the floor, then 3 more ppl on couches. Add $30 per night on top of booking price. This is great to keep your group together while allowing for privacy for us both with me in closed guest room.
3) 1-9 GUESTS, MASTER & GUEST ROOM: I sleep in the laundry / storage room with a twin bed, your party has both bedrooms + the whole loft if needed. Add $90 extra per night to the booking price you see.
4) 1-9 GUESTS, ENTIRE SPACE: I sleep next door in the building and your party has the entire space. I am guaranteed to be gone from 9pm-9am, but am free to come and go as I please from 9am-9pm. Add $120 extra per night to booking price.
5) 1-9 GUESTS, ENTIRE SPACE: I sleep next door and cannot come back in at all, except in emergencies and during pre-agreed times set by you for me to refresh a bag, grab food, etc. Add $200 to booking price.
NOISE POLICY: Keeping noise down in the hallways at all times is a MUST. My land lord is my neighbor and is very sensitive to noise, especially after 9pm. Normal noise considerations within the space.
NOISE: In the main room there is slight standard "street noise" as with any big city - but it doesn't bother me or guests at all.
MORE ABOUT ME/WHAT TO EXPECT:
I'm a super kind and organized host, looking for a way to supplement income while launching an online business. I work from home and have an office space in the building.
--WEEKDAYS: I'm generally up between 6:45 and 7:30AM to exercise, cook breakfast, then work, and spend most evenings working at home or enjoying a movie, TV show, or cooking, sometimes with a friend or my girlfriend. Bed by 10/11PM.
--WEEKENDS: Bed by 11/12AM and sleep in a little more till 8/9AM, but generally get up for exercise and work / rest at home.
PARKING: available in my buildings outdoor parking lot Mon-Fri 6pm-7am for $20 extra per night, and from 6pm Friday - Monday 7am for $30 extra per night (Fri-Sun). FYI: parking lots in the neighborhood are $40-50+ per night, and metered street parking for $4 per hour from 8am till 12-midnight. There's a hotel across the street (The Godfrey) that offers an 'early bird' $12 parking Mon-Fri if you enter before 9am and leave before 6pm - which works nicely with the weekday parking in my lot (please call the hotel to confirm).
COMFORTABLY SLEEPS UP TO 9: There are two queen beds, one twin mattress and one twin air mattress, then one large "L" couch and the 'chaise lounge', as well as the 'Lofted Bed'.
THE LAYOUT: You walk into an entryway, with a hallway into the 'main room'. The hallway includes the bathroom, storage/laundry, and the guest room. The main room includes the kitchen, living room, dining room, all the windows, and my 'false walled' bedroom. The bathroom is small as is the shower, but it's clean and does the job. In total the loft is 1600 square feet, with a 24'x45' "main room" with 15' ceilings.
For all beds I swap out 6 great sets of new comfy sheets, 4 comforters & duvet covers, 6 pillows, with protectors for increased cleanliness & comfort. In the guest room I offer a water dispenser & glasses + tea, a desk, dresser and closet, fan, plenty of outlets, bathroom amenities, and more.
LOFTED ROOM: It's a very short and small lofted room (more like a fort ;) ...and it's tough to climb up with a ladder so more for the adventurous - see pics) with a twin bed + electricity / lamp / shelving in it to sleep another person or couple if needed (friends get a kick out of), or that twin bed is used in the guest room.
WHAT TO ENJOY: Enjoy breathtaking views of the city, hundreds of restaurants of all ethnicities within blocks, in unit laundry, available storage, a big kitchen with lots to work with, lots of plants, being close to all public transportation, grocery stores, music venues, theaters, Michigan Avenue "Magnificent Mile", the Chicago River, Lake MI, etc, etc, etc! And your own set of keys to come and go as you please.
Access everything... Laundry room, storage room, juice and coffee maker, kitchen appliances, island & kitchen table, chaise lounge for great relaxing and viewing of the city, our private rooftop if I'm with you, 2nd floor ariel yoga studio, first floor karaoke bar and grill, and more!
Interaction with Guests
As much or little as you want! I know the city VERY WELL and love to make recommendations. I work from home a few days a week so I'm around, but most guests are out. I stay pretty busy and private.
River North is one of Chicago's best known and up and coming neighborhoods. I provide / email you a detailed "LOFT FAQ" with Check-In + Check-Out details, instructions on how to get in, and recommendations nearby! Nearly everything is within a 20min walk: the Chicago River, Lake MI, MI Ave, 100s of restaurants, grocery stores, theaters, parks, museums, and much more! Happy to point you in the direction for any activities, services, or interests! For touring discounts, check out the "Chicago Go Pass".
Getting around from the place is easy! There's available parking after 6pm and on weekends (see above), and other parking options close by. Cabs are readily available at the doorstep, and they can easily get to our place right off the highway. Public transportation from the airports is VERY easy as well, taking you from the airport trains (Blue line from O'hare, Orange line from Midway) to just 10 blocks from the place. And there are the most popular bus stops and trains within a few blocks. I strongly encourage you to download (website hidden) maps on your smart phone as it is VERY easy and accurate for walking and using the CTA (Chicago Transportation Association - Bus and Trains) to get to my place, and around the city!
Other Things to Note
I want to be clear so there's no surprises, as that's how I'd want to be treated:
1) There's one private guest bedroom for you with door/lock, then my bedroom is behind the big library wall in the "main room". That means it's a "loft-style open room" as in their isn't a closable door or closed off walls to the ceiling, so when I'm sleeping 10pm-7pm usually, I ask that you're quiet in the kitchen. Think of a big loft from the movies with high ceilings and a bed closed off in the corner by a big library, plants, and partitions ;) It's private, but not sound proof. Please see pics.
2) It is a VERY old industrial building and I'm on the top floor (6th, but seems higher due to high ceilings and unobstructed views)... Therefore, once or twice a year ONLY IF THERE IS A BIG STORM OR MAJOR SNOW MELT, there can be some minor leaking. It HONESTLY rarely happens, and when it does it only lasts a few hours at most, but I feel it needs to be said in case it happens while you're here. With over 60 guests so far it hasn't happened once.
All said, the place is AMAZING, and every guest or friend who's stayed absolutely LOVES it - just see the reviews! It's easily one of the coolest places in downtown Chicago, as agreed by all our hundreds of guests over the years... really, you'll love it - I'm very grateful to have it!
Please see FAQ sheet I leave in the room and email you prior to get familiar and acquainted. I get to bed and up early (10/11pm, 6:45/7:30am), so with my bed in the main loft room, I always appreciate your consideration and respect there - you obviously don't have a curfew ;) but I just ask to be mindful of use of the kitchen / living room after 10pm/before 7:30am as it can be disturbing (if needed, let me know ahead of time and we'll work it out!). Also, I'm very clean, and expect the same.
Pets are negotiable, as in, we can have them, but for an extra fee per night. No smoking.
Checkin is 2PM, and Checkout is 11AM. I make exceptions for an additional fee of $20 per hour. If you can imagine, it adds up making exceptions for all my guests!
I just ask that you strip the beds, clean your dishes, and gather garbage before you leave!
once you enter through entry way, hallway with bath & laundry room on left, guest room on right, then into main loft room.
I had an amazing stay with Luke! He is very easy going and gave us some really nice advice where to go and things to do! Highly recommended!
Luke was the man. Was very accommodating towards anything we needed. Put up with a little extra bullshit then he probably should have. Would totally do business with him again
Perfect location, amazing loft, good host!
Although we've never met Luke, he arranged everything really well. The tips&tricks he provided for Chicago were really helpful :) Would definitely recommend this place.
Lucke was extremelly helpful with all the questions we had about the room and the area. He was also very flexible with schedules. The apartment was very clean and beautiful. I would be comming back next time I stay in Chicago
The loft was exactly as shown on the pictures. Building is not the best (quite smelly) but when you get into the loft it is perfect!
About the Host, Luke
I'm a hardworking, laid back, healthy, active guy. I grew up on a small farm in a small town in WI, started my first business and left at 18yrs old and traveled the states a lot. Living in Chicago since 2005 and this loft since 2008. Currently I'm working on a philanthropic project and a wellness venture, so AirBnb is helping pay the bills through this transition.
I love to cook, stay in when not working or exercising, and help host with recommendations and easy to reach communication! Over 6 months of experience on AibBnb, I put a lot of thought and details in my profile to manage expectations and answer questions, so please spend the time to read through it in detail :)
I look forward to hearing from you and promise the experience is as good or better than all the reviews!