Comfortable, charming, uncluttered house with all the modern amenities, bikes, surfboards and other toys. Easy walk to the beach and the boardwalk.
This adorable, lovingly-maintained, Westside 40's bungalow is located in a central yet peaceful neighborhood. Ideally located on the corner of Bay & Lighthouse, it’s a short walk to: Cowell’s Beach, Steamer Lane, the lively Municipal Pier and the ever-entertaining Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. Take one of our beach cruisers for a short bike ride Downtown, to Mission Street, New Leaf market, the Harbor and beyond. You'll never need to get into your car.
Our well-appointed, but simple home was recently renovated - adding modern amenities while maintaining it’s retro feel. For a small house, the two bedrooms, kitchen and living room are all quite spacious with loads of natural light. The sunny kitchen is great for entertaining and is outfitted with new appliances, good knives, and stocked with basic supplies like olive oil and spices. The master bedroom has a wonderful King size bed, work desk, task chair, and an iMac. The larger second bedroom has two double beds. If more bedding is needed, we keep a deluxe Aero bed in the closet as well as a Pack ‘n Play for infants.
Note: This is not a party house, must be 25+ to rent.
Interaction with Guests
The property is a large lot with two houses on it - the owners (Brit & Alan) live in the back. The homes are separated by a stucco wall, covered in greenery, providing great privacy for both houses. For the most part you won't even know we're there. We occasionally cross paths on the driveway which is a good opportunity to make sure the guests are comfortable and answer any questions about the house or the area.
Exhibit A: RENTAL RULES (may result in loss of security deposit - please read)
1) Must be 25 years or older to rent.
2) No noise after 10pm. Any noise complaints will forfeit the security deposit. This is a home in a quiet neighborhood. Guests must be respectful of our neighbors and abide by local ordinances.
3) People other than the registered guests may not stay overnight in the property. The maximum number of people allowed on the property at one time is 10 (including registered guests and visitors). Any other person in the property is the sole responsibility of the “Guest”.
4) Parking is limited to two off-street (uncovered) vehicles in driveway. Street parking requires a permit during high season weekends (May thru September). Any illegally parked cars are subject to fines/towing; applicable fines/towing fees are the sole responsibility of the vehicle owner.
5) Guests must completely vacate the property by the 11am check-out time. Late check-outs will be charged $50 for each additional 30 minutes.
6) Please see check-out list. Excessive mess will result in deductions - according to our housekeeper.
7) Housekeeping: There is no daily housekeeping service, but occasional service can be arranged at the renters expense.
8) As owner/operators we do not have a full time staff and we may not be available at all times. We ask our guests to be somewhat self-sufficient and use the instructions provided to answer most of their questions. In the case of urgent repair or attention we can usually be reached by phone.
9) No smoking.
10) No pets - even with visitors.
11) Fireplace: Is NOT operational and the chimney is capped. Please do not attempt to burn anything in the fireplace.
12) Water and Septic: DO NOT FLUSH anything other than toilet paper. If feminine products have attempted to be flushed, and clog the septic system, you could be charged for repairs.
13) House is privately owned; the “Homeowner” is not responsible for any accidents, injuries or illness that occurs while on the premises or its facilities. The “Homeowner” is not responsible for the loss of personal belongings or valuables of the guest. By accepting this reservation, it is agreed that all guests are expressly assuming the risk of any harm arising from their use of the premises or others whom they invite to use the premise.
14) Storms: If there is a storm or hurricane, no refunds will be given unless the state or local authorities order mandatory evacuations. The day that the authorities order a mandatory evacuation we will refund:
-Any unused portion of rent from a guest currently registered;
-Any unused portion of rent from a guest that is scheduled to arrive, and wants to shorten the stay, to come in after the Hurricane Warning is lifted; and
-Any advance rents collected or deposited for a reservation that is scheduled to arrive during the "Hurricane Warning" period.
Fabulous house, perfect location, wonderful hosts. Brit and Alan made us feel very welcome. The house is bright and clean, well stocked with quality furnishings. There are surfboards and bikes for guests to use. We were at the beach in two minutes. I wish we could have stayed forever. I highly recommend this wonderful little house and definitely plan to come back next time I'm in Santa Cruz.
This place is even nicer than the photos! Our group consisted of two sets of parents with one 2 year-old-girl each, for a total of 6. There was more than enough space, and we had a great time over the long weekend.
The location is fantastic. Specifically, it is a short walk to several nice beaches, and to the downtown area.
The bungalow is outfitted with everything you need to prepare your own feasts and/or cozy up for a movie night. There are some little touches that are nice including how the numbered key-pad entry provides for "instant" check-in. We loved the kitchen, including some little niceties such as the Breville water kettle, the wonderful gas stove, and the high-quality knives. Despite being decked out, the place feels tidy, open, and clean.
Alan and Brit are both quick responders and good communicators. They provided us with suggestions the complimented their helpful map and website.
The next time we hope to stay in Santa Cruz with two small families worth of people, we will look to book this place again.
Fantastic place located in a great spot which is walking distance from Steamer's Lane! The hosts were courteous and accommodating which went above our expectations. The house was very clean, comfortable, and decorated nicely. The linens were cozy and I felt like I was sleeping at home! The house was well organized and stocked with a variety of amenities which our family uses at home. This is a home away from home, located on the beach track, with wonderful hosts behind the scenes ensuring your stay is running smoothly.
Communication with the host was seamless. This house truly is charming, and beyond that, it provided a perfect spot for for us- 3 adults and 2 children- to rest, relax, and launch our adventures. Everything is "just right" here; the beds are really comfortable, there were plenty of fresh linens and extra towels, the kitchen was well stocked, there are drawers and closets for unpacking into, there is ample room for everyone, comfy seating, great flow throughout the home. The decor is really well balanced- simple stylish and modern mixing with the older charm of the home. The house is really CLEAN which is of course a huge plus. You can tell that the hosts have put a lot of well guided effort towards making their guests feel welcomed. There was a shed outside with bikes and beach toys which were great to use on the beaches which you can access in either direction walking from the house. The house is in a very cute neighborhood which is quaint and secluded feeling even though it is mere blocks from the boardwalk beach area. If you walk in the other direction, you get to the slightly less chaotic, beautiful Lighthouse beach area. In short, this house is a winner and we had a great time staying here.
We has a wonderful stay at Brit & Alan's bungalow, we didn't want to leave! The place itself was very spacious, has all the amenities you need, and absolutely beautiful. The neighborhood was safe and quiet and just a short walk to the beach and Boardwalk. We didn't meet Brit & Alan, but they were super responsive. Highly recommend!
Brit's home was lovely! It was extremely clean and cozy. The shower was fantastic and the kitchen especially charming. Wonderful location. I hope my family will have the opportunity to stay here again on their return visits to Santa Cruz!
This is a perfect place to stay when visiting the Santa Cruz area. The location is ideal and just a second from the beautiful water's edge, public beaches, and downtown. There are numerous amenities that are included with the fabulous home including beach cruiser bikes and surf boards. The house is decorated well and the kitchen is spacious and includes everything you need to cook and grill. The hosts are responsive to any questions you might have during your stay, but if you prefer no contact, that is easy as well as Alan and Brit are quiet and they don't poke around the property. If you have not yet been to Santa Cruz, you want to stay in this location. The West Side is ideal for access to UCSC and tons of shops and restaurants on foot, by bicycle or by car. We loved loved loved loved everything about this charming home and its location and hosts.
Alan and Brit are originally from Canada but have spent the past 15 years in the Bay Area. Alan is a product designer and Brit works in advertising as a Digital Production Consultant. We're kinda nerdy but LOVE to surf. We have traveled all over the world but think the Bay Area and Santa Cruz are hard to beat. We split our time between SF and SC.