About this listing
Located in the Arbor Lodge neighborhood of Portland Oregon- our comfortable home offers guests the entire finished basement: queen bed, living room, full kitchen, full bath, pool table, ping pong. Close to all our fabulous city of Portland offers.
*no cleaning fee*
The large, private finished basement includes:
- large family room: Comfortable queen size bed, cozy gas fireplace, wrap-around couch, HD TV with surround sound and full Dish Satellite service (many movies/shows on DVR for viewing), and gym that includes an elliptical, stationary bike, and bowflex weight bench
- game room: full size pool table, dartboard, & pull down ping-pong table (no play after 10PM please)
- kitchen: fridge for your perishables, microwave, and stove. There is also a coffee maker with coffee and selection of teas for your use.
- full bathroom with sink, toilet, and walk in shower (hair dryer, liquid soap, shampoo/conditioner are all provided)
- washer and dryer area which you are welcome to use, if you would like to do some laundry.
*The comfy queen bed easily accommodates two people. If there are more than 2 people in the party, two full size adults can easily fit on the very, very large sectional couch (one on each side) in this same basement area (all bedding provided).
*If more space needed, we have another listing for our 1st floor bedroom - includes king bed, single bed, and private bath. Details here:
Guests access their basement apartment through a separate entrance on the back of the home. I try to be home to welcome you, give you an initial tour of the space, & answer any questions. Our backyard is somewhat of an urban farm & guests are welcome to explore this area. If interested, ask us for a tour of the yard (we love to talk about our plants & landscaping). On the patio is a table, chairs, chaise lounges, and BBQ to use (when weather permits). In the summer, we will have a badminton net set up for a rousing game or two.
Interaction with guests
We respect our guest's privacy, so this is as much or as little as you like. Almost any time of year has so many options for things to do and it is just a beautiful city. We welcome the chance to host visitors in our home and will tell you all about this fabulous place.... if you ask. Our amazing city of Portland, Oregon is a wonderful place to live and we like to say it is like being on vacation every day.
Our home sits on a quiet, safe, tree-lined street and is close to almost everything. At the end of the block is Arbor Lodge Park with plenty of space to roam and two lighted tennis courts (we have rackets you can borrow). A short drive (10 minutes can take you almost anywhere in metro Portland) will take you to historic St. Johns, Kenton, the Alberta Arts district, Mississippi area, Fremont, PDX downtown, and more. Throughout Portland, there are numerous brewpubs, restaurants, shops, and more. Also, the Expo Center and Convention Center are right up the road. And, if you like to stroll, these places are within a short walking distance to our home:
- 1/2 mile to the Max train line that can take you to downtown Portland, the Expo or Convention Center, the airport, or throughout the metro area.
- 1/4 mile to our local Thai, Mexican, or sushi restaurant. There is also a unique coffee hut, doughnut shop, and a take out pizza establishment.
- 1/2 mile to our local sports bar to view your favorite games in a pub setting or relax in our newest local coffee house.
- 1/2 mile to New Seasons or Fred Meyer grocery
- 3/4 mile to the Lucky Labrador Brewpub, library, bakery, shops, and numerous restaurants in the Kenton or Killingsworth neighborhoods.
There are so many things happening in Portland. Exploring and enjoying the Rose City is easy with the monthly neighborhood art walks, the numerous craft beer events (including the Oregon Brewers Festival (OBF)), and the vibrant summers with music and movies in the parks, the neighborhood parkways, and the abundant street festivals.
For public transit, the Max line train is a short 1/2 mile walk (12 minutes) from our home and can take you all over Portland. This same Max line goes to and from the Portland international airport (the Max terminal is outside of baggage claim), so if you don't have a car, there is no problem using mass transit to easily reach our home. Also within a 1/2 mile walk is zip car options (if you're a member of this car sharing network). We are also within the Portland metro parking area for Car2Go (if you're a member of this car sharing network), so you can usually find these within a block.
Other things to note
No animals ever go in the basement apartment, but note that we share the main level of our home with 3 wonderful cats: Abbey, Dubbel, and Tripel (all named after Belgian beer). They are very sweet and loving and you may see them in a window. At times, there may also be a small foster dog in on the main level of the home- not in the basement.
We are very easy going and just ask that you respect us and our home. Only rules are no drugs, no smoking inside (smoking outside on the patio - away from house door- is fine), no outside guests, and no pets.
Hi- Myself and my boyfriend Noel, lead a pretty active lifestyle- tennis, biking, walking/running, hiking, and (for me) yoga. Noel is an avid gardener and we have our own little urban farm, along with an abundant number of fruit trees and berry bushes in our yard. We love growing our own food and our garden allows us fresh fruits/veggies in the summer and then canned and dried items in the winter. Noel is also a huge beer geek and would relish the chance to talk anything beer. We both work from home: I have my own decorative water fountain business and work with some non-profits and Noel does internet marketing and manages some vacation rentals at the WA coast. I have followed a vegan diet for the last few years and Noel is flexitarian. I grew up in NY and Noel in NJ and WI, but we've also lived in NM, CA, and WA. I can speak a little Spanish (but not understand it) and Noel can understand it (but not speak it). My parents are from Germany and Sweden and Noels' heritage is German and Norwegian. We are both animal lovers and currently share our home with a couple fun-loving cats and, at times, a foster dog. We love living in Portland, as it is a great city. We also love to travel....but Portland is so cool, we never want to leave :)