A private, 2 bedroom apartment with 4 real beds in an artsy and friendly neighborhood. Off-street parking space and a lawn with outdoor seating area makes this place special. Take a bike or grab a ride to all of the action and come back to relax!
- 2 Bedroom apartment
- Off-street parking
- Gated, private yard
- Private entrance
- Set back from street, no street noise!
- Smoking allowed outside
- Outdoor Chairs and table
- 4 real beds! 2 Double beds in each bedroom (76x80in or 193x203cm)
- Each bedroom has a closing door and privacy
- 450tc linens & duvets, super comfy!
- Extra pillows & blankets provided
- Air conditioners & ceiling fans
- Central heat
- Cable TV
- WIFI internet service
- Xbox/DVD player
- Full size refrigerator w/ ice-maker
- Full size gas stove
- Electric kettle
- Claw foot tub with shower
- Towels & washcloths provided
- Iron & ironing board
- Alarm clocks
- Radio w/ 3.5mm connection
- Laundry line for hanging outside
- 2 closets and additional hanging rack
- Full length mirrors
- 2 Yoga mats
Guests have full access to the apartment, driveway and yard on the one side of the house. The rest of the property is completely separate. Other than when outdoor maintenance is necessary there will be no one else in the rented area. Total privacy!
Interaction with Guests
You will be welcomed on your day of arrival either by our superb apartment manager, Jamie or by ourselves, the owners, Jenn and Carl. We will be happy to chat about any of your interests or answer questions and then we will be just as happy to get out of your hair so you can enjoy this great city and relax!
You will have the phone #'s and email for both of us to use freely at anytime.
- Very creative "Bohemian" area w/ many galleries
- Art walks and outdoor markets
- Frenchmen Street, 9 blocks
- The French Quarter, 11 blocks (.8mi / 1.2 km)
- Mississippi River - 1 block
- Crescent Park access - 3 blocks
- Safe & quiet
- Grocery store/24 hrs, 3 blocks
- Laundromat, 3 blocks
- 3 yoga studios - 2, 3 & 8 blocks away
- Restaurants, cafes, eateries and bars are plentiful!
- On one side a building with a great lunch stop, Jim's sandwich shop and many artists workspaces and galleries during the day
- On the other, our neighbors are a lovely local couple that have spent their entire 60-some years in the Bywater, great brains to pick!
- across the street are storage warehouses that have occasional activity quarterly and are otherwise silent and allow our space plenty of parking!!
- This perfect blend is what creates the ability to relax in the yard, have peace and quiet and enjoy the river breeze. Walking next door to get a drink, chatting it up with friendly neighbors, watching bicycles cruise by or grab your own bike and feel like you are truly living in New Orleans!
NEW ORLEANS is a major port city. Expect to hear train whistles, fog horns on ships and calliopes on paddlewheel boats! In our 4 years of renting we have never heard a complaint but we believe it's worth noting, it's charming after all. :)
- Bus stop is 20 yards (18m) away
- Taxi service is plentiful
- 1st riverfront street car stop is .7mi (1.1km)
- Walking is safe, enjoyable & easy
- Biking is fun! (there are no hills here)
- Running or jogging is very popular along Chartres Street but even more so in our new lovely Crescent Park along the river, just a few blocks from the house and up the levee
- 6 Cruisers are available to rent for $25 per bike/per visit!
- Helmets available
- Locks included
- If you tell us ahead of time we can have them ready and waiting for you!
Other Things to Note
Jamie will be available by phone/text/email and is ready to share his local knowledge with you!
We take great pride in our home and are constantly making improvements. We like to keep things very clean and like to be as accommodating as possible. Just ask! We love enjoying our city and love to help other people enjoy it too.
Jenn and Carl
Smoking outside only. No open flames of any sort inside.
Sorry, no pets.
This place was perfect for us! Close enough to the French Quarter, but also just far enough away. The hosts were wonderful, accessible, and knowledgeable. Clean and cozy home. Highly recommended.
Second time back to the bungalow, and it was great as I remembered! Jamie was super accommodating with our arrival time, and was prompt with getting us extra keys, and checking in with us. The bungalow is clean, and the beds are super comfy.
Note that the location is near an active railroad track, which means you'll definitely hear it at times. If you're sensitive about noise, might not be the best spot. Despite that, it's still a great location and the Marigny/Bywater neighborhood has got some serious charm.
It's. Martha Miller-Plumb.
Rik and I stayed in your Montegut house recently. I didn't know the best way to post comments about our stay, so here is the copy for your perusal (couldn't post from my account, as I hadn't done the reservations):
This Creole Cottage has been updated with taste but without loosing its historic lines. Additionally, the beds were more comfortable than some 5-star hotels in which we've stayed.
It's so close to the French Quarter that most of the time, we rode our bikes or walked to get there and back. One evening, we explored what local restaurants had to offer (a nice lagniappe).
Jamie was the perfect cordial host. He was available if needed and was not demeaning when we did something only "dumb tourists" would do.
Anyone wishing to know and enjoy New Orleans should consider this house for a stay. We plan never to stay in some carbon copy chain hotel again. We miss NOLA and this house already.
Jamie and Jen were completely amazing hosts. They were very responsive, helped us with the bikes, and stored our suitcases on our final day so we could enjoy one last day in the city. The house is amazing- very clean, the kitchen is an added bonus, the beds are comfotable-- and the mirror in the kitchen is really slimming! Honestly, I thought about never leaving. We will be back!
I loved staying in the Bywater Bungalow! The house was well-appointed with everything a traveler would need--especially the kitchen. The bikes were a necessity and well-worth the additional $25 for my entire stay. Thank you for hosting me. I would definitely book here again!
The weather was below freezing when we arrived and we were very happy that Jamie had already turned the heating on for us! We were left to ourselves after a quick introduction to the bungalow. After that, Jamie responded promptly to the questions I sent him by text.
The place is very well equipped and a lot of thought has gone into making sure we'd have everything we needed: plenty of towels, kitchen items, an extra heater in the bathroom... And my bed was extremely comfortable!
The only thing that disappointed was the first impression. The furniture and rugs seemed...tired. It was only after being there for a while, and seeing how much care had gone into so many details, that we really began to appreciate the place.
We did hear the freight trains a lot but that didn't bother me at all. I loved it! In fact, I miss that sound.
We had a great time exploring New Orleans, Louisiana, and Mississippi and this was a great place to do it from. And it was a great introduction to Airbnb for me.
The apartment is in the back of a "shotgun" house, accessible from a small side garden replete with chairs and a table. The two bedrooms are separated by a common space with kitchen, kitchen table, and sitting area -- affording lots of privacy. There are two comfortable beds in both bedrooms. The apartment is quiet, and secured by a gate first to the garden and then to the apartment itself. There are heat, ceiling fans (one wasn't working while we visited but that will surely be fixed), and air conditioning / fan units in all of the rooms. There is closet and bureau space for clothes, and attention to details, like nice towels.
The cottage is located relatively close to cafes, an excellent grocery store, and some restaurants, art studios, and thrift stores. Bywater is a funky neighborhood, and the cottage is in the safer end of the neighborhood closest to Marigny, where there additional places to eat as well as good music venues on Frenchman Street.
Jaime is most welcoming. There is a terrific compendium of recommended restaurants and things to do (all accurate as far as our experience went). He arranged for us to have bicycles at a very reasonable rate. The apartment was spotless. And the kitchen refrigerator had some snacks and water. The arrival and departure arrangements were easy as pie, including his doing us the favor of storing our bags for a day.
This is not an upscale accommodation. The apartment is very simply furnished. The sitting area is small. The block itself is not the most pretty. But we are already planning a return and recommending the cottage to our friends.
I am a British bartender, ironworker and part time wedding officiant who came to New Orleans on vacation eight years ago, fell in love with the city and made my home here.
I cannot live without my beautiful wife Jenny and our grumpy French Bulldog Roland, football (a game played with a round ball and ones feet!), planting trees and the many opportunities to dress in costume that New Orleans offers throughout the year. I also love helping people discover off the beaten track things to do in this wonderful city!