Relaxing week-end get-a-ways in a tranquillity of the Century-Old Minnie Hill School House nestled on 2.75 acres of Secluded Luscious Green Grounds ... it's the laid back atmosphere, where the time stops ... and family & friends gather together.
... it's the laid back atmosphere, where the time stops ... and family and friends gather together.
Almost a Century-Old Minnie Hill School House is nestled on Rolling Hills of Grey County on the outskirts of small towns of Meaford & Thornbury.
Built in 1917 the School House with its original Bell Tower welcomed many kids up to mid-1970. Back then, boys and girls entered school separately through 2 entrances, one from South side, second one from North. Today, both entrances make interior space still accessible from outdoors.
Its original "School Room" houses today's Spacious Living & Dining Rooms where original black chalk boards exhibit colourful creations by kids and adults alike. Soothing interior décor relaxes the mind and offers pristine landscape views all-year-round.
Fully equipped Country-Style Kitchen and outdoor propane barbecue allow preparing yummy family feasts. Rustic Cabana Seating overlooking 2.75 acres of luscious greens provides a perfect backdrop for outdoor entertainment and tranquillity. Enjoy a bonfire and star gazing at night ... you might see a shooting star.
Sleeping at the School House:
… "Modern Rustic" … Exposed brick bedroom with Queen-size bed with views of green grounds with mature trees & a private walk out to a deck.
… "Dreamy Oasis" … Bedroom with Queen-size bed ... for those who need complete darkness to take rejuvenating sleeps.
… "The Barn" ... Simply furnished attic bedroom with 2 Single beds … where adults revisit their childhood dreams and kids just love sleeping in.
The 4-piece bathroom has antique claw tub with a shower, toilet, sink and basket with towels.
There is no TV. You're welcome to use an original school desk for creative writing or working on your laptop.
Concrete In-floor heating in Bedroom next to the kitchen and electric baseboard heating supplements propane fireplace heating in Living/Dining area in winter months. Triple brick walls will keep you cool during warm summer months.
When coming in May/June, you'll smell beautifully scented lilacs ... in June/July, you might be lucky to enjoy sweet & sour organic cherries that grow in the garden surrounding the School House.
For more fresh organic produce, bread and protein, visit any of the many farmers' market stores along Hwy 26 ... best way to get there is bicycle or car.
Oh, and one of the many locally made pies is a must! ... Thornberry Pie and Sour Cherry Pie are my favourites.
"me casa, su casa" ... welcome & enjoy entire School House, its grounds, outdoor Cabana seating and propane barbeque.
Interaction with guests
I'll do my best to meet the guests at the School House upon their arrival and go over all details. While I won't be present during your stay, I can be reached 24/7 to answer questions and/or take care of anything needed.
Other things to note
Preferred pricing is available for skiers wishing to rent any of the bedrooms on continuous basis during Dec-April ski season. Depending on your stay, special discounted rates will apply and will be set at the time of each individual booking ... Please ask me about details.
3 night minimum is required on all long weekends.
For filming and any other special inquiries, please contact me to discuss.
When planning to go to the beach, please bring your own beach towels.
Enjoy and treat the School House as your own home.
- Do not leave candles unattended
- Do not smoke anywhere on the property
- Remove your shoes when indoors
- When using a bonfire, please take it out before heading to sleep
- Heating is a combination of propane fireplace (LR/DR) and baseboard electric heaters. Use the heat during your stay as needed & ensure to lower the heat upon your departure (all baseboards to #2 setting, LR thermostat to 15 degrees Celsius, bathroom to 12 degrees Celsius)
- The bedroom with pink floor next to the Kitchen has in-floor concrete heating and therefore there is no carpet. The thermometer is below the electrical box behind the black board ... feel free to turn it on to a desired temperature and turn it back to 12 degrees Celsius when you leave.
A few notables:
- Water in kitchen & bathroom comes from a drilled well located on the property and while there is a filter treating the sulphur smell, it might be present during your stay. The water is of great quality & healthy for washing dishes, hands, showering, etc.
- Drinking/Cooking Water is located next to the fridge in the kitchen (there are 2 additional containers, 19.9 L each). I find it's an ample supply of drinking/cooking water for 3-day weekend. In case you run out, the bottles are re-usable and can be filled at grocery stores in Meaford or Thornburry at $3.99/each
- Please wash dishes by hands (dishwasher is NOT hooked up in the kitchen)
- DeLonghi coffee maker manual is available in pdf file - I'll email it to you prior your stay and I am happy to walk you step by step on how to make the coffee upon your arrival - just ask.
- Bedrooms have limited clothes storage (1 dresser per bedroom, no dresser in attic bedroom) and there are NO closets for hanging up your clothes. You're welcome to use the closet for jackets in the room to the left of the fireplace.
The School House is labour of love and I continually work on improving it ... in case you see the green tape (staircase or along walls) - that means I am just about to start/finish painting.
Growing up, I spent at least 1 week every summer with my family and our friends at their cosy, over 2 centuries old log house - turned cottage up in the mountains of former Czechoslovakia away from civilization ... it was return to basics with no electricity or running water, family meals seating 10 and outdoor games that only kids can come up with ... I loved those times.
... years later, while spending time with friends during the summer long weekend in 2012, I stumbled upon the Minniehill School House ... I immediately fell in love & completely unexpectedly become a cottage owner a few short months later.
... after many cans of paint, some more work and help of my friends and family, the place got transformed ... today, the School House is a magical place for people closest to me as well as people who enjoy a rustic getaway surrounded by lush greens & whispering of nature.
My love for architecture, photography, furniture refinishing, antiquing, skiing & home cooking come all alive in the School House life ... Hope you will enjoy your first stay and many returns after as much as my friends and I do.