About this listing
Overlooking Liscannor bay, just 5 minutes away from a surf or a round of golf in Lahinch, an Irish music session in Doolin or a walk on the Cliffs of Moher, you will experience authentic Ireland at this lovely cosy renovated traditional cottage.
The things people love about my home:
1. It's a traditional farmhouse cottage, big thick stone walls (stone non apparent except for one kitchen wall), Liscannor slabs floor which gives it a rustic and roughed look.
2. Big south facing windows with distant view of the sea. With binoculars, you can check the surf in Lahinch and …
3. The sunhouse, which provides much heat with a little ray of sunshine. Lovely place to chill out when it's windy but bright.
4. Cosy music corner lofe upstairs. Best view of the sea in the house. Cushions, cuddly toys, Cd playing facilities and electric Yamaha piano.
5. The house is away from the road (the driveway is 100m long) and surrounded by a huge field which hosts a herd of 20 connemara ponies in summer.
6. The location. Really close to Lahinch busy seaside tourist town, a stone throw from the buzz, and yet we can relish in the tranquility of the Irish countryside.
7. The lovely walks on small country lanes from the house. The Burrenway passes 300m away. There are a choice of various loop walks available. Walking up the road to the left, we get to a beautiful view over the Aran islands and gorgeous sunsets (sometimes, it does stop raining!). If we turn right at the gate, we're only 3km from the cliffs of Moher with stunning views on Liscannor bay. … And we're just 20km from Fanore and the Caher valley at the heart of the Burren.
8. The out houses are very authentic with Liscannor stone walls, floor and roof. In the old cottage, there are chairs and an openfire to have an "outdoor" barbecue wether it rains or shines.
9. No TV.
11. For the smoothie and juice addicts: the Vitamix and the slow speed juicer.
Things I should mention that people might possibly not be so keen on:
1. The stove heats up the whole house with hard fuel (the backboiler heats up the hot water and the central heating). In practical terms, this means that if you are not here or at least if you haven't lit the fire, there's no heat in the house. It is easy to light and heats up the house quickly once it's started. It also provides a very cosy and country atmosphere.
2. The bedroom at the end of the house is a little cold, but there are electric blankets… and it's got the best views and fabulous peaceful feel as it's four stone walls are 3 foot wide.
3. No TV.
And my own description:
Absolutely stunning 2 bed farmhouse cottage refurbished 15 years ago.
The Eastern part of the house has kept its original old feel with big stone walls. The bedroom at that end of the house has its own small en suite (including shower, toilet & sink). This bedroom has been repainted and fitted with venetian wooden blinds. It has the best views of the sea and is the most peaceful place in the whole house. The sitting room / office space is bright and airy with high ceiling a big south facing window and a small openfire. The main living space is the kitchen / architect designed loft over the kitchen. That's where the stove is so it gets really cosy and warm once the fire's lit. It has a real farmhouse character with Liscannor stone floor and one wall with apparent stones. The sunroom is attached to the kitchen and provides a lot of heat and light during the day. The other bedroom is sunk in the ground and below the loft. It is a very peaceful bedroom as well. The main bathroom is right beside it making it nearly an ensuite.
The hall way has liscannor stone floor as well. Perfect area as we come in from the outdoor to leave coats and boots in the hotpress or straight into the washing machine.
There are 3 outhouses with local character. One old cottage where we can have a barbecue or leave wetsuits / wet gear out to dry.
10 min to Ennistymon where you can get everything (supermarket, butcher, coffeeshops, doctor, pharmacy, galleries, a variety of restaurants, take aways, etc)
If you enjoy cycling or walking there are plenty of loops you can do straight from the house or drive to the nearby Burren (20km from Fanore beach, 10km from Lisdonvarna, 30km from Ballyvaughan). We are on the Burrenway route and the newly launched Wild Atlantic way.
The house is also available to rent on a room, rather than whole house basis, making dates very flexible if you don't mind the current occupant being present throughout your stay.
There is a double bed in each bedroom and a single futon type bed on the loft, which can sleep one adult or two kids (it's very long). There are also 2 extra single mattresses which can be laid in the sitting room if necessary.
The neighborhood is sparsely populated, but you will certainly meet my nearest neighbor farmer, Michael, who provides me with turf for the stove. The people who live around the area are all very friendly. Among the farmers, there are a lot of surfers and artists. The area is very secure and private.
Please contact me for more details.
Guests have access to the whole house.
Please respect the privacy and refrain from routing into my office space.
Interaction with Guests
As much as needed.
Don't hesitate to contact me for any enquiries.
The neighborhood is very friendly and peaceful.
What I love about living here on this hill is that I'm less than 10 min away from busy little seaside town Lahinch. I can deep in and out of the tourists buzz as I wish and return to quiet and peace surrounded by fields, horses and bird tweets.
There are no public transport to the house. The nearest bus stops are in Lahinch or Doolin.
We are on the Burrenway for walkers and on the wildatlantic way for cyclists.
We are 1 hour away from Shannon airport. Follow ennis --> ennistymon --> Lahinch --> Liscannor. It is easy to find. Contact me for directions.
Other Things to Note
This is my home.
Please respect it as is. I'm very happy to share it with visitors but please always remember that the house is my precious and much loved home, and not a hotel!
I am a musician, plenty of CDs and a piano to play. Please wash your hands before use.
I am a sport coach and health nurde so plenty of books and litterature on running, fitness and nutrition.
Lights and Heating - Keeping the Bills Down and Saving the Planet!
I’d greatly appreciate your assistance here, please help me to keep the bills down!
1.Please turn off unnecessary lights at night and when leaving the house. (except for the salt lamp in the hallway which stays on 24/7)
2. Immersion Water Heating – The big kettle that boils and boils!
The hot water system in the house is heated up by the stove but also runs off an immersion system. Welcome to Ireland! ☺ It’s like a big kettle, and ours is on a timer, giving you hot water at regular intervals. You can also boost it if you’d like hot water at any particular time of day, however **PLEASE** turn it off. 15 minutes (this is enough for a shower, slightly longer for a bath), otherwise it just keeps on boiling like a big expensive kettle! Thank you!
The shower in the Eastern bedroom is electric and doesn't need the immersion to be turned on.