Peaceful old house in Dewsbury, with fast WI-FI, easy access to motorways & on direct train line from Manchester Airport, and to Leeds and York. Space to park inside our garden. Access to Yorkshire Moors, Huddersfield, & a walk from Red Brick Mill.
You are all welcome of course, not just arty people! We live in an old Victorian house, built in 1872, set in a private crescent, so away from traffic. Jorge is a cameraman and editor, as well as our technology Mr. Fixit! I (Elaine) am the artist and wedding photographer. Between us we speak several European languages: Greek, Spanish, German, French & Italian.
Dewsbury is near several major towns (Leeds, Huddersfield, Bradford, Wakefield, under 10 miles apart) and has easy access to both M1 and M62 so you can explore from our home as a base. We have super fast WI-FI, and in house techie (Jorge). The internet password is in our house manual which Airbnb send you once you have confirmed your booking.
If you like walking there are several lovely walks and woods nearby too, I am veggie but my husband is a carnivore so if you would like to share a meal with us, just let me know. We often travel with our wedding photography and video work - to all sorts of places abroad, so understand how important it is to feel at home when away from home...much more fun than a hotel!
See our guidebook for bus and train station locations: London (189 miles), Leeds (10 miles), Bradford (10 miles), Huddersfield (10 miles), Wakefield (6 miles), Sheffield (30 miles), Manchester (40 miles). Happy to meet you from the train and to either walk up with you to show you the footpath, or to pick you up by car if we are around at the time you arrive. Message me if you'd like help checking best public transport routes, as happy to look them up for you.
If you fancy a bike ride to get around the various Greenways, and Canal tow-paths in the area, you can borrow one of our mountain bikes if you like too. You will still need to go up at least one hill to get back to us though I'm afraid, but if I can do it, am sure you can too. No worries if you choose to push it for the last bit though of course!
xx Elaine & Jorge
Our guests are welcome to sit in the garden, use either bathrooms, the washing machine, and if needed, our front room too.
Interaction with Guests
We interact as little or as much as our guests need. We find most couples prefer to be left to their own devices, but if they need any help , of course we are more than happy to do what we can. We are often downstairs in our respective offices/ workspaces, or out photographing or videoing weddings, so have more flexible working hours than most people. There is usually one of us around at least though, so we do socialise with our guests if time and situations feel right.
We love the peace and quiet, set among old Victorian houses. and easy access to main motorways East-West (M62) and North South (M1), large towns nearby for interesting experiences and night life, and quick access to open countryside and Yorkshire Moors.
We are on a direct train line from Manchester Airport and Liverpool to the West and to the East to Leeds, York and Middlesbrough. If possible book at least 24 hours in advance, ideally longer for London or Manchester Airport, as trains are generally more expensive on the day. Parking is behind our closed wooden gates to the right of the main entrance. We often pick guests up from Dewsbury train station where possible - no charge.
Other Things to Note
Egyptian cotton duvet cover and sheets, all dried outside in the fresh air, so hopefully you will feel good, despite the budget prices. If you have time I can show you the nearby Greenway where you can walk or cycle.
1. Happy to meet you at Dewsbury Railway Station and to show you the footpath up if I haven't got a wedding on your arrival day (am an international wedding photographer, if you hadn't guessed that by now!) or to pick you up by car of you have heavy luggage.
2. There is a microwave, a 2 ring table-top electric hob, as well as a and a fridge, toaster and a little blender in your room, pots and pans, a washbasin, and little desk. The ON-OFF switch on the kettle has a 0 and a 1 on it. It doesn't light up so just listen for it working. The extra little knob keeps it hot all day, so avoid pressing that, or it might break. If you need anything else just let us know and we'll do our best to sort it out for you.
3. There is an electric blanket on the double bed to make it cosy before getting in on cold winter nights, and electric heaters in the room, and a spare duvet in the wardrobe. If you are travelling with a child, and one of you needs a few moments peace alone, you are welcome to sit and read in our front room. We can also put a single sofa bed in your room if needed.
4.We try to recycle all our waste so can you save clean plastic, paper, and washed and rinsed out tin cans or aluminium beer cans and cardboard please? They go outside in the GREEN bin just inside the wooden gates to our garden. Glass bottles and clean jars go in the green plastic box outside too. Biodegradable waste goes in the big compost bins by the garden shed at the end of the garden. You can help us help us by recycling your waste too.
5. Feel free to sit and enjoy the sunshine (when we have any!) in the garden, or simply play outside (if you have a child too!). Our grandchildren come to stay sometimes but the children have all left home.
6. Smokers are welcome to use the garden outside, where there is seating in the summer.
7. Happy to let you use the shower in our downstairs bathroom, but tell me first so I can adjust the water temperature down on our instant water heater, as the cold water pressure is low. NB. PLEASE BE PATIENT WHEN RUNNING HOT WATER UPSTAIRS, as it takes a good 5 minutes to arrive, due tom the size of the house. The taps drip on - continue running a bit - after being turned off, so no need to screw them up too tightly, or this will damage the washers.
8. Also happy to let you use our washing machine, if you are travelling or staying with us for a few days.
9. Naturally you are free to come and go as you wish, and we tend to be night owls so don't worry if you are coming or going at unusual times of the day or night. The Co-op - a mini supermarket - is just past the newsagents and is open from 8.00am to 10.00 PM 365 days of the year. So if you walk down Alexandra Crescent and turn right onto Birkdale Road, go past the newsagents, keeping to the left of that, you will see it on the corner on the left, 2 minutes walk from our house.
10. Just ask if you need anything, or help finding places of interest nearby.
11. We do have a cat, but he is only allowed in the kitchen and in the garden, so hopefully shouldn't trigger any allergic reactions if you are sensitive that way.
xx Elaine & Jorge
The location was very calm & nice . We stayed here for just one day but it was the wonderful eve in our 11 days UK trip.Elaine & George was so helpful and arranged everything in large room, she arranged extra bed , toys etc for my little daughter .Elaine accompanied us on beautiful evening walk, and it was truly remarkable day!!! Thanks Elaine
SO pleased Shihab. It was a true pleasure to meet you both and your gorgeous little girl. We are very happy to stay friends with you and hope we get a chance to see you again as you are all so full of life and smiles. Language is no barrier when the face says it all. xx Elaine
Room is large and clean. Eclectic and unique home. Very welcoming.
I had to unfortunately cut my visit to Elaine’s short, but I must say, it’s quite a unique getaway in the English countryside. The neighborhood is peaceful, the house is aged to the degree of an antique itself, and is so wonderfully covered with Elaine’s beautiful paintings. I could have perused them for days! I find it necessary to note that this is most certainly an "artist’s den”, complete with personal clutter and a lived-in decor. If you are overly tidy, you may have difficulty. As for the hosts, I found Elaine to be energetic and talkative, and Jorge very kind. Thank you for your accommodation and understanding!
Thanks Taylor. I hope you had a lovely time with your friends in Manchester? I understand the artists bit of course! Hopefully you found your room and upstairs bathroom clean and tidy at least, as that is always our main concern. Our private areas are "lived in", after 26 years in the same house, as we have busy lives with Reel Life Photos wedding video and photography business. We always strive to find time to help make our guests happy though, of course. xx Elaine and Jorge
Llegamos mi novia Marcella y yo (Alfredo) el 16 de agosto a casa de Elaine y su marido Jorge. Eleine vino a recogernos a la estación de trenes y la primera impresión que nos causó fue buenísima, ya que es una mujer muy simpática y que siempre tiene una sonrisa dibujada en su cara. Como eran las diez de la noche cuando llegamos a Dewsbury y estaban todos los supermercados cerrados, Elaine nos preparó una lasagna vegetariana para cenar, que hizo ella misma. Tuvimos una cena muy agradable con ambos y hablamos sobre temas muy diversos. Es un matrimonio muy culto y amante del arte, por lo que hemos pasado muy buenos momentos dialogando con ellos. La comunicación no fue nunca un problema, al contrario, puesto que Elaine habla varios idiomas, entre ellos el italiano y el español, y su marido es cubano y también domina varios idiomas. Es una pareja muy cercana, atenta y agradable y durante el tiempo que estuvimos en su casa siempre nos trataron como si fuéramos de su propia familia, preocupándose en todo momento porque no nos faltara de nada y nos sintiéramos cómodos en todo momento. Son gente que se preocupan por sus invitados y están disponible para ellos las 24 horas del día. a nosotros nos ayudaron en todo momento con aquello que necesitamos, demostrando tener un corazón grande, bondados y generoso.
La casa es preciosa, llena de cuadros pintados por la propia Elaine. Los amantes del arte se sentirán como en un museo, con la ventaja de tener la oportunidad de conversar con la artista. Tiene además un jardín precioso en el que hemos pasado ratos muy agradables tomando café y té, rodeados de árboles y plantas muy bonitas y amenizado por el canto de los pájaros. La verdad que nuestra estancia ha sido maravillosa y recomendamos a los viajeros que no duden en alojarse con ellos, será una experiencia inolvidable.
We had a wonderful time with Elaine and Jorge. We arrived late and a bit tired, we talked for a while, Elaine then offered us something to eat with them. We loved the Egyptian cotton sheets! Thank you for a wonderful evening and room.
You’ll be hard pressed to find a home with as much character or life as Elaine and Jorge’s. Although Elaine was away shooting photographs at a wedding, her husband Jorge showed us to our room before ensuring we felt nothing less than welcomed and at home.
The room itself was fully stocked with everything you’d need for a flying visit or an extended stay. Add to this the beautiful artwork on the walls, a world map covered in stars from happy visitors and you’ll see why it’s easy to feel you’ve found something special.
Oh thank you Daisy. So pleased you like the map and all the bits and pieces that have been added to the room, as time has gone by. Just sorry I didn't get to meet you as arrived back after you had gone to bed, and had to be at another wedding an hour's drive away by 7 am the following day - so very out of the ordinary! I really hope we get another chance to meet ! xx Elaine
Very nice stay in this charming old house. Elaine was so kind and helpful, she picked us up at the train station (even if we were happy to walk) and made everything to make our stay comfortable. Interesting and original place to stay, quiet and peaceful, and I would say there is something "vintage" in the air which reminded me of my grandma place and Im sure im not the only one to think so (take it as a compliment Elaine :) )
The place is only one stop from Leeds train station (4 pounds one-way). I recommend !
Thank you Pierre. We loved having you both. I think our house is even more "vintage" than your grandma, as it was built in 1872, and I love real wood furniture, that fits in with that in a way, so not surprised it reminded you of your grandmother! The return fare to Leeds from Dewsbury is better value too, as is currently £5.50 off-peak. You are both lovely people so we enjoyed having you.
I am a happy wedding photographer - international and multicultural (Reel Life Photos) , who travels all over the world capturing images that show the whole day, as it unfolds. This also means I have to spend many hours on my computer, so its good to unwind with our lovely Airbnb guests from time to time. Jorge, my husband, is a filmmaker, so also spends many hours editing, but he too enjoys a good conversation.
We have a map on the wall of our Airbnb room , covered in stars to show where all our guests have come from, over the years ,
I am also an artist, hence the house full of oil paintings!
Look forward to meeting you some day! xx Elaine and Jorge