Quite and sunny apartment, freshly renovated, (35 sqm) located at the third floor in a building from the beginning of the century. Mittenwalde Strasse it self is a quiet side street, with old buildings in a Wilhelminian style typical of Berlin.
The apartment is furnished and decorated with taste and plenty of nice details, fitted with parquet flooring using genuine wood; there is a modern fitted kitchen sand balcony. Branded products have been used exclusively for the sanitary items and fittings.
The living/bed room is funrnished with a double bed, sofa, chest of drawers, table and 2 chairs and television. The kitchen is furnished with all things that are necessary for cooking and eating, fridge / freezer, gas stove with 4 plates and oven.
GneisenaustrasseU-Bahn is just 50 m from the property, and numerous localbusroutes link the property to PotsdamerPlatz, Kurfurstendamm and Alexanderplatz.
The beautiful Viktoriapark with waterfall and Schinkel Memorial, offering fantastic views of Berlin, is just 2 minutes away by foot. The popular Bergmannstrasse with many attractive cafes, shops and restaurants and the Chamisso quarter with decorative stucco buildings are also nearby on foot. Potsdamer Platz (1 km)and Tiergarten are only about 1.5 km away and Kurfuerstendamm (KaDeWe) about 2 km.
Another 2 minute walk in a different direction takes you to the top of the Kreuzberg in Viktoria Park, the highest geographical elevation of Berlin with the famous liberty monument (Freiheitsdenkmal) by architect Friedrich Schinkel. This vantage point affords a most magnificent 360 degree view overlooking the entire city. It is also the spot that gives Kreuzberg its name.
Just few rules:
1) Respect the neighbors. Since you are living in a building with normal flats and people who are permanently living here you must respect the neighbors. You are NOT ALLOWED to listen loud music/tv or to do party inside the flat. Especially before 8 am and after 9pm you must avoid any noise that can be disturb other people.
2) Use of Internet. You are not allowed to download any program or file that is not legal. Police's german downloading rules are quite strictly and if something illegal has been downloaded, they can catch you and let pay fees (around 2000 €).
3) Smoking in the flat is not allowed.
We loved Mario's apartment and it far exceeded our expectations. The building the apartment is in was charming and we loved the high ceilings and large windows with tons of natural light. The area was also really fun, right next to the underground for easy access and close to a street where we could have spent all our time popping from one restaurant to another or later in the evening going for a quick drink. The apartment was so clean and had all possible items one might require..iron, hair dryer, etc. Mario was also really pleasant to deal with and very flexible. Would definitely recommend to a friend.
I was here to visit two conferences, so the U-Bahn connection into town was crucial. Generally, my experience in this apartment turned out to be something of a mixed bag. I'll list the pros and cons below. The biggest advantages of it are that it is in a very quiet back courtyard, and that the U-Bahn (subway) is about 100 meters away and runs until well into the night. Staying in the Bergmannkiez is great, also.
On balance, if I need to be in the vicinity again, I would rent again even if it perhaps misses some of the charme of other AirBNB places.
- Neighborhood: lively place, supermarkets and all sorts of shops, cafés and restaurants nearby. Within walking distance of many interesting places
- Relatively cheap
- Very quiet and tranquil
- Modern equipment
- Almost next to U-Bahn station U7, and very near to U6
- Clean, and easy to keep clean
- When I needed an ironing board, they had one ready within the hour
- Communication isn't Mario's strenghth: my queries before arriving went mostly unanswered, and contact over phone was sketchy.
- Several power plugs in the kitchen didn't work (Mario promised to have this fixed, although it could not be arranged during my stay)
- Although modern, the furniture is also a bit anonymous and bare-bones: bottom-of-the-price-range Ikea stuff. The bed turned out to be quite squeaky although I slept fine in it (but I sleep with earplugs).
Pros/cons (depending on what you prefer)
- This is a professional apartment rental organization, not an individual AirBNB'er letting out his/her own place. That means that the apartment is somewhat anonymous, but also that you can demand things without upsetting anyone.
As Mario was not in Berlin during our visit, his friend Max met us in front of the flat to let us in and show us around. The flat is near the back of a courtyard of flats, and is very quiet. Extremely central, less than a minute away from the U-Bahn Gneisenaustrasse. Also walking distance from Bergmannstrassse which is filled with unique cafes and restaurants and the supermarket Kaisers.
I visited with my boyfriend who is new to Berlin, and I grew up here and loved the location of the flat. I was very easy to hop onto the bus of ubahn to meet friends in other parts of the city.
I would definitely come back in the summer as it has a lovely balcony as well.
Amazing neighbourhood with a cozy, fresh & bright apartment! There are 3 flights of stairs to keep in mind! Other than that, Mario was easy to reach and Max were very helpfull with the keys to the apartment and offering any information we needed.
This host has 698 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
i m Mario, 36 old, italian living in Berlin for 12 years. I love traveling around the world but also living in Berlin, where i m working as web designer and sometimes as dj.