About this listing
WATCH THE SUNRISE FROM A TROPIC ISLE…….from the quiet side.
Makana Kai is a new one bedroom one bath ocean view apartment with open beam ceiling, granite counters, bamboo and tile flooring offering a luxury island feeling where life is slower and ripe with the diversity of the Big Island. It's split-level layout provides privacy and comfort for one or two and offers an excellent home base to relax or return each day from exploration. One can enjoy rarely traveled jungle roads, creation in the making with new black sand beaches and varying volcano activity, or view the world from Mauna Kea’s Observatories above 13, 700 ’ elevation.
An island of secluded beaches, tropical forests, and 11 of the earths 13 climate zones offers incredible hiking trails, scenery and viewing of exotic birds and plants found nowhere else.
Vintage Hilo Town and Pahoa offer a glimpse of older Hawaii with early century buildings, farmers markets and a strong dose of the Aloha Spirit.
NOTE: This is a non-smoking facility. 14.25% Hawaii State Tax included in stated price.
A place of inspiration for artists, writers or spiritual reflection, you can totally relax, soaking in the balmy weather or enjoy any of the 101 activities the island has to offer.
1. This is a non-smoking facility.
2. Adults only - not suitable for children
3. Day and Week Rates include Hawaii Vacation .1325% Tax
- HI Tax ID W00264840-01
Queen size bed
linens and Dishes
Electric Frying Pan
Flat screen TV
Beach chairs, mats and towels
Private yard area
Binder of local activities and information.
Interaction with Guests
Remain available by person or phone to answer questions or make recommendations
Quiet and safe walking community mixed with jungle and ocean views
Although bus service to all parts of the island is available a few blocks away a rental car would be many times more timely and convenient.
Other Things to Note
Possibly the best climate anywhere with most days sunny and most rain continuing up the mountain.
1. Homeowner, Gary Turner, rents to applicant, the real property and improvements described as Makana Kai
15 2734 Papio Street, Pahoa, Hawaii 96778 private furnished living room, bedroom and kitchen area plus the following personal property:.
Refrigerator Flat Screen TV Alarm Clock
Microwave Blue Ray DVD Player Towels & Linens
Blender AM/FM Stereo Hair Dryer Coffee Grinder Deck Chairs & Table
Coffee Maker Lanai BBQ Toilet Paper
Electric Frying Pan
Lanai Chairs & Table Iron & Board
Toaster Oven Beach Mats Soaps & Shampoo
Eating & Cooking Utensils Ice Chest Paper Towels
Ceiling Fans Beach Towels Local Activities Guide
2. Maximum Occupancy: The maximum number of guests is limited to 2 adult persons only.
3. Term of the Lease: The lease begins at 3PM and ends at 11AM on scheduled dates. Earlier check-in requires prior approval and will be allowed only when schedules permit.
4. Minimum Stay: This property requires a 3 night minimum stay. Longer minimum stays may be required during holiday periods. If a rental is taken for less than 3 days, the guest will be charged the 3 night rate.
5. Access: Guest shall allow Homeowner access to the property for purposes of repair and inspection. Homeowner shall exercise this right of access in a reasonable manner.
6. Rental Rate and Fees A deposit of 50% of total rent) is due upon registration and signing of Rental Agreement. The deposit is non-refundable and applied toward the rental fees except as noted below in Cancellation Policy. The cleaning fee is non-refundable.
7. Cancellation Policy: Cancellation of reservation, the deposit will be refunded as follows:
90% if cancelled 60 days prior to the Check-in Date - 50% if cancelled 7 days prior to the Check-in date.
8. Insurance: We encourage all renters to purchase traveler insurance. References you may contact to purchase such insurance:
9. Payment: Acceptable payment methods are personal check, major credit cards.
10. Rental Rules: Guest(s) agrees to abide by the following Rental Terms at all times while on the property and shall cause anyone else Guest permits on the property to abide by the terms at all times.
11. SMOKING is not allowed anywhere on the property.
12. GUESTS -People other than those in the guest party may not stay overnight.
13. RESPONSIBILITIES—Makana Kai is privately owned; the owners are not responsible for any accidents, injuries or illness that occurs while on the premises or its facilities. The homeowners are not responsible for the loss of personal belongings or valuables of the guest. By accepting this reservation, it is agreed that all guests are expressly assuming the risk of any harm arising from their use of the premises or others whom they invite to use the premise. Guests are responsible for keeping the property and all furnishing in good order and using appliances only for their intended use.
14. PETS are not allowed.
15. PARKING – limited to one vehicle. Vehicles are to be parked in designated parking area off Coastal Puna Parkway at Makana Kai gate. Overnight parking on the road is not permitted.
16. HOUSEKEEPING - There is no daily housekeeping service provided in the rental rate and is the responsibility of the guest while visiting. However towels and linens will be changed each week for guest staying longer and maid service can be arranged for an additional fee. Beach towels are provided as regular towels are to be kept in the apartment.
17. Waste Water: The apartment is on a cesspool. The cesspool system is very effective, however it will clog and not function if improper material or chemicals are flushed. DO NOT FLUSH anything other than toilet paper such as feminine products which should not be flushed at anytime.
18. Storms: If there is a major storm, hurricane or other natural hazard, no refunds will be given unless the State or local authorities order mandatory evacuations in the immediate area of residence of vacationing guest. The day that the authorities order such a mandatory evacuation, we will refund:
a. Any unused portion of rent from a guest currently registered, or b, any unused portion of rent or advanced rent from a guest that is scheduled to arrive during the “warning period”.
19. Owner Disclosure: Owner is a licensed Real Estate Broker in the State of Hawaii
For additional information contact - Gary Turner, PB – (phone number hidden)
Activity Information Center,
152734 Papio Street,
Pahoa, HI (phone number hidden). Acceptance: By depositing reservation payment, Guests understand and agree to terms above
Gary and Karen's Makana Kai was perfect! Gary was very welcoming and helpful with tips about the area. It was a charming home to stay in for our honeymoon. We enjoyed the treats left for us at our arrival, the short walk to the ocean, and the ocean view from the deck. It was a beautiful area and a comfy place to stay, away from the hustle and bustle of the nearby city of Hilo. We loved hearing the crashing waves at night to lull us to sleep. We miss being there already!
I have been trying to think of a critique of Gary and his wife but I cannot come up with a single thing! It does not hurt that they have some personal things in common with my wife and me. In addition they are adventurers the way we are and if you want adventure or recommendations for a bit of local color, or a place to eat, they will give it to you.
I learned that though Gary respects the privacy of his guests, he is always ready to help: A jacket loan for a helo ride or an extra fan in case it happens to be hot :)
Thanks so much for the use of a great place in a great part of the island.
Bob and Karen
Gary & Karen are terrific hosts. The balcony has a great view of swaying palm trees with the ocean just behind them. Amazing tiny Java sparrows hang out in the backyard tree, fluttering back and forth from the feeder. The neighbourhood is a laid-back residential area, very quiet without feeling too scarily remote for those who might be unaccustomed to being away from cities and towns. The apartment was fully equipped with comfy bed and a spacious shower. Wonderful small beaches within close driving distance. Highly recommended.
Our host Gary really went all out to make us feel welcome in his home. He greeted us warmly and we had homemade banana bread and fruit waiting for us for our first breakfast there. The pictures of the listing were very accurate - the decor was beautiful and (except for the frogs) it was very quiet and private. We had an ocean view from the deck, and we were within walking distance from the coast. We are happy that we decided to stay in Pahoa rather than Hilo - we felt that we got a better feel of how the locals live. We loved staying here, and would highly recommend it to first time visitors to the Hilo side of the Big Island!
There was fruit waiting for us for breakfast as we arrived at night. There is a notebook with places to visit and restaurants. Both Karen and Gary are friendly and so willing to help. The apartment itself is very clean and well decorated in Hawaiian style. Directions to the apartment were clear and easy to follow.
Amazing stay! We loved staying with Gary and Karen and the apartment felt like home! The vibe and energy is beautiful and the deck is perfect for a solo yoga session or reading. Gary and Karen are kind and warm-hearted hosts who really care and you can tell in the beautiful details they have put into their home.
exactly as described, really lovely host, great apartment and the perfect base to explore the region.
We loved it,
About the Host, Gary
Mild-mannered gentleman with sense of humor and love of life who occasionally ponders the question. "What's it all about?"
Having lived in Hawaii for well over 17 years I've yet to find the answer, but I honestly can't think of a better place to look for it.