WATCH THE SUNRISE FROM A TROPIC ISLE…….from the quiet side.
Makana Kai is a new one bedroom one bath ocean view apartment with open beam ceiling, granite counters, bamboo and tile flooring offering a luxury island feeling where life is slower and ripe with the diversity of the Big Island. It's split-level layout provides privacy and comfort for one or two and offers an excellent home base to relax or return each day from exploration. One can enjoy rarely traveled jungle roads, creation in the making with new black sand beaches and varying volcano activity, or view the world from Mauna Kea’s Observatories above 13, 700 ’ elevation.
An island of secluded beaches, tropical forests, and 11 of the earths 13 climate zones offers incredible hiking trails, scenery and viewing of exotic birds and plants found nowhere else.
Vintage Hilo Town and Pahoa offer a glimpse of older Hawaii with early century buildings, farmers markets and a strong dose of the Aloha Spirit.
NOTE: This is a non-smoking facility.
A place of inspiration for artists, writers or spiritual reflection, you can totally relax, soaking in the balmy weather or enjoy any of the 101 activities the island has to offer.
1. This is a non-smoking facility.
2. Adults only - not suitable for children
3. Day and Week Rates include Hawaii Vacation .1325% Tax
- HI Tax ID W(phone number hidden)
Queen size bed
linens and Dishes
Electric Frying Pan
Flat screen TV
Beach chairs, mats and towels
Private yard area
Binder of local activities and information.
Interaction with Guests
Remain available by person or phone to answer questions or make recommendations
Quiet and safe walking community mixed with jungle and ocean views
Although bus service to all parts of the island is available a few blocks away a rental car would be many times more timely and convenient.
Other Things to Note
Possibly the best climate anywhere with most days sunny and most rain continuing up the mountain.
1. Homeowner, Gary Turner, rents to applicant, the real property and improvements described as Makana Kai
15 2734 Papio Street, Pahoa, Hawaii 96778 private furnished living room, bedroom and kitchen area plus the following personal property:.
Refrigerator Flat Screen TV Alarm Clock
Microwave Blue Ray DVD Player Towels & Linens
Blender AM/FM Stereo Hair Dryer Coffee Grinder Deck Chairs & Table
Coffee Maker Lanai BBQ Toilet Paper
Electric Frying Pan
Lanai Chairs & Table Iron & Board
Toaster Oven Beach Mats Soaps & Shampoo
Eating & Cooking Utensils Ice Chest Paper Towels
Ceiling Fans Beach Towels Local Activities Guide
2. Maximum Occupancy: The maximum number of guests is limited to 2 adult persons only.
3. Term of the Lease: The lease begins at 3PM and ends at 11AM on scheduled dates. Earlier check-in requires prior approval and will be allowed only when schedules permit.
4. Minimum Stay: This property requires a 3 night minimum stay. Longer minimum stays may be required during holiday periods. If a rental is taken for less than 3 days, the guest will be charged the 3 night rate.
5. Access: Guest shall allow Homeowner access to the property for purposes of repair and inspection. Homeowner shall exercise this right of access in a reasonable manner.
6. Rental Rate and Fees A deposit of 50% of total rent) is due upon registration and signing of Rental Agreement. The deposit is non-refundable and applied toward the rental fees except as noted below in Cancellation Policy. The cleaning fee is non-refundable.
7. Cancellation Policy: Cancellation of reservation, the deposit will be refunded as follows:
90% if cancelled 60 days prior to the Check-in Date - 50% if cancelled 7 days prior to the Check-in date.
8. Insurance: We encourage all renters to purchase traveler insurance. References you may contact to purchase such insurance:
9. Payment: Acceptable payment methods are personal check, major credit cards.
10. Rental Rules: Guest(s) agrees to abide by the following Rental Terms at all times while on the property and shall cause anyone else Guest permits on the property to abide by the terms at all times.
11. SMOKING is not allowed anywhere on the property.
12. GUESTS -People other than those in the guest party may not stay overnight.
13. RESPONSIBILITIES—Makana Kai is privately owned; the owners are not responsible for any accidents, injuries or illness that occurs while on the premises or its facilities. The homeowners are not responsible for the loss of personal belongings or valuables of the guest. By accepting this reservation, it is agreed that all guests are expressly assuming the risk of any harm arising from their use of the premises or others whom they invite to use the premise. Guests are responsible for keeping the property and all furnishing in good order and using appliances only for their intended use.
14. PETS are not allowed.
15. PARKING – limited to one vehicle. Vehicles are to be parked in designated parking area off Coastal Puna Parkway at Makana Kai gate. Overnight parking on the road is not permitted.
16. HOUSEKEEPING - There is no daily housekeeping service provided in the rental rate and is the responsibility of the guest while visiting. However towels and linens will be changed each week for guest staying longer and maid service can be arranged for an additional fee. Beach towels are provided as regular towels are to be kept in the apartment.
17. Waste Water: The apartment is on a cesspool. The cesspool system is very effective, however it will clog and not function if improper material or chemicals are flushed. DO NOT FLUSH anything other than toilet paper such as feminine products which should not be flushed at anytime.
18. Storms: If there is a major storm, hurricane or other natural hazard, no refunds will be given unless the State or local authorities order mandatory evacuations in the immediate area of residence of vacationing guest. The day that the authorities order such a mandatory evacuation, we will refund:
a. Any unused portion of rent from a guest currently registered, or b, any unused portion of rent or advanced rent from a guest that is scheduled to arrive during the “warning period”.
19. Owner Disclosure: Owner is a licensed Real Estate Broker in the State of Hawaii
For additional information contact - Gary Turner, PB – (phone number hidden)
Activity Information Center,
152734 Papio Street,
Pahoa, HI (phone number hidden). Acceptance: By depositing reservation payment, Guests understand and agree to terms above
exactly as described, really lovely host, great apartment and the perfect base to explore the region.
We loved it,
The pictures of the apartment do not do justice to it -- it is a romantic and homey two level apartment with a very relaxing view towards the ocean. The decoration of the space is in absolute harmony with the tropical environment and the Hawaiian culture. Sea turtles peak at you from the wall, figures made out of coconut leaves entertain you at the kitchen table while bookshelf is filled with experiences of earlier Hawaiian explorers.
Gary has been a welcoming and caring host. He provided ample information to everything we asked -- from arrival instructions to information about local hidden gems. He made us feel very comfortable!
The house was so lovely! Attention to details is amazing - coffee, tea, towels, beach chairs...all necessary utensils and a microwave oven, all exclusive for our use! This is truly home away from home. We enjoyed our stay here so much - it was in a good location, right next to one of the most beautiful drives we did (Old Government Beach Road) and to the warm pool. Also it was very close to nature with birds nestling on the lanai, insects chirping throughout the night... We'd love to come back soon! Thank you Gary and Karen!
Makana Kai was a great place for us. Gary's apartment is immaculate and had what we needed to cook simple meals, watch the sun rise from the balcony and drift off to sleep listening to the waves.
We loved staying at Makana Kai! The location is great, with views of the ocean and a tree full of cute little birds. Gary gave us fruit and some really excellent banana bread when we arrived, and was super friendly and welcoming. The apartment has everything you could need, and is very nicely decorated. The bed was a little soft for us, but that's definitely a personal thing, not a problem with the bed. We really enjoyed exploring the east side of the island from Makana Kai, and really recommend staying there.
The apartment is really nice. We spend a week at Christmas there and had a great time. In the apartment was everything we needed. Gary and Karen created a place that made us feel welcome at once. If we ever come back to Big Island in the future there would stay at Makana Kai.
The reservation was canceled 17 days before arrival. This is an automated posting.
Mild-mannered gentleman with sense of humor and love of life who occasionally ponders the question. "What's it all about?"
Having lived in Hawaii for well over 17 years I've yet to find the answer, but I honestly can't think of a better place to look for it.