Oceanfront 1 bedroom condo. Recently renovated with a relaxed, open, contemporary, zen vibe. You have the entire condo to yourself (not a shared rental). Quiet, safe building and area with the following amenities:
* Queen size bed with new 3" memory foam gel mattress topper
* HDTV with cable TV
* Wireless internet
* Washer & dryer in unit
* Covered assigned parking
* Large lanai with a view overlooking the neighboring jungle/forest...nice place to drink coffee in the morning or have a drink in the evening (there's only a peek-a-boo view of the ocean from the lanai)
* Swimming pool on site
* Full kitchen with utensils, pots, pan, dishes, coffee maker, rice cooker, etc., for your use
* Full bathroom (shower only, no tub)
Great place to call home while exploring the magnificent Big Island. Take a 5 minute walk to a great little place to swim in the ocean, where you will almost certainly see turtles. Or walk along a path in front of the building to cool tide pools. Nice locally owned restaurant with fresh fish a couple hundred yards away. The condo is located on the bus route, but a car is recommended to be able to fully explore Hilo and the rest of the island (and because the bus system is rather limited). 10 minutes from Hilo airport, 5 minutes from downtown Hilo (with its great farmer's market), 30 minute drive to Volcanoes National Park, 1 1/2 hours to Kona. Explore the island or just kick back and relax. Way nicer than hotels in the area--and you have your own kitchen.
Some additional things you should know:
* The place is best suited for 1-2 people.
* The place does not have air conditioning (most homes in Hilo do not have AC). However, there is an oscillating fan. It can get a bit warm during the summer months.
* The coqui frogs can be loud at night (they sound like birds) so take that into consideration if you are a light sleeper. Though it doesn't bother most people, there are earplugs available or you could bring your own.
* I travel frequently for work but am often at the condo on weekends, so there's a good chance the place might not be available over a weekend--but feel free to inquire about stays over a weekend period.
* Since I live at the place when not traveling, there won't be much space in the closet or cupboards for your things.
* Parking on-site (covered)
* Swimming pool
Beach community along the waterfront with quaint little beach parks.
There is a public bus and the place is on the bus route. However, it doesn't run too frequently. I would recommend renting a car--there's so much to see on the Big Island! Taxis are available from the airport.
We had a wonderful stay at Jim's condo. Nice and clean place with a spacious lanai. Jim was a great host and everything was as described - we even saw sea turtles at the "beach" in the backyard. We would recommend the place to anyone staying in Hilo.
Rie and Morten
Jim's condo was just as described - serene, immaculate and comfortable. The location near beaches and Hilo was great. The ear plugs he left were a kindness but we have a fondness for coqui frogs. I'd highly recommend a stay.
Jim's house was really fantascit!!
It was clear and located at good place(You can get to the beach on foot in 5 minutes).
If you are planning to visit to Hilo, Jim's house would be the best choice you can make!!!
Jim's condo is lovely and very relaxing. My fiancé and I really enjoyed our stay. The patio is huge and overlooks a gorgeous jungle that is breath taking to wake up. It is very clean, nicely decorated, and quiet. I'd definitely love to stay here again. Thanks Jim!
Jim's place was amazing and Jim was an equally amazing host. I look forward to staying at this place again!
Pictures do not do this place justice - great location, very clean, beautifully decorated and close to amazing restaurant (seaside restaurant). Designated parking spot was available which was helpful. Would definitely recommend this place for anyone staying in Hilo.
Everything with our stay was great. The place was exactly what we needed for our one night in Hilo - neat and clean and well located with parking available. Jim was nice enough to leave us some fresh tangerines. Thank you!
This was a great place! There aren't many options for modern nice places in Hilo....except for this one! Glad Jim's amazing condo was available during our visit. Very neat and clean. It was quite a stylish pad with great decor. It was my wife's first time in an airbnb, and it was the perfect intro for her.
Great location too. Not by downtown, which is nice because we wouldn't want to be by the noise, traffic and shady-looking transients on the street.
Personally loved the musical sound of the frogs and chose to sleep with the balcony doors open. But Jim is nice enough to have a large jar of earplugs!
Thanks for the complimentary Kona coffee too!
BTW, here are some dining recs, if you wanna do it like locals:
1. Puka Puka Kitchen - get the ahi don and garlic fried rice
2. Cafe 100 - dozens of awesome loco moco dishes. CHEAP!
3. What's Shakin fruit stand - smoothies, coconuts, etc.
Jim's place was just as advertised. It's a good spot near Hilo and close to the airport. Very convenient if you are seeing things in the area. The place was clean and well maintained. Thanks!
A great place to stay! The condo was exactly as it was in the photo and description. While we didn't have a chance to use the pool, we walked to several of the near by beaches to swim and watch surfers. Close to both downtown Hilo and the airport, it was in a great location too. Didn't meet Jim, but he left clear instructions for the condo amenities. Yes, there were coqui frogs all around, but it wasn't really a disturbance. Will definitely stay here again the next time I'm here.