Enjoy staying in a cosy & comfortable Grade II listed stone cottage -formerly the Clergy Daughter's School attended by Charlotte & Emily Brontë- situated in the beautiful Lune Valley nestling between the Lake District & Yorkshire Dales National Parks
Brontë School House comfortably sleeps five adults in three bedrooms. On the ground floor is:
- a light and spacious Lounge housing comfy sofas, a wood-burning stove, bookshelves laden with books and magazines, television with digital freeview and DVD player with DVDs; a large bay window provides glorious vistas to the garden and countryside beyond;
- a separate Dining Room, with Georgian cast-iron columns and wooden panelling dating from an eighteenth century extension to the original property, housing a six seater dining table and chairs; a cushioned window-seat below a Victorian sash window provides the perfect spot to sit and read a book or gaze out to the garden;
- a Kitchen with free standing wooden units, ceramic hob/electric oven, microwave, fridge/freezer and fully equipped with crockery, glassware, cutlery and cooking utensils so that you can do as much or as little cooking as you wish!
- a Bathroom with a wonderful claw foot bath for lazy soaks, a separate freestanding shower, toilet & wash basin.
Original stone stairs lead to the first floor where there are three bedrooms and a separate toilet & wash-basin.
- the Master Bedroom houses a king size brass bed with pocket sprung matress, Victorian cast-iron fireplace and dual window-seats overlooking the garden and open countryside beyond;
- the second Bedroom has twin iron bedsteads with pocket sprung matresses, Victorian cast-iron fireplace and window-seat with views to open countryside; and
- the third Bedroom with its exposed stonework has a georgian brass bed and window-seat with views to the sheep or cattle grazing in the neighbouring field;
There is a beautiful cottage garden, where the children can run around, where you can enjoy views across rolling countryside or where you can simply sit and listen to the sound of Leck Beck running just beyond the garden wall.
There is off-road private parking for two vehicles.
Unlimited Internet/Wi-fi at the cottage.
Guests have full access to both the house and garden.
I always meet guests at the cottage to give you the keys and show you around, let you know how everything works and to answer any questions you might have on the cottage or surrounding area. I live only half an hour away in Lancaster and am always available at the other end of the phone in case of any problems.
Brontë School House is located in the village of Cowan Bridge only 2 miles from the wonderful historic market town of Kirkby Lonsdale; the cottage is ideally situated for exploring both the Lake District and Yorkshire Dales National Parks as well as the beautiful Lune Valley in which it sits.
The Lake District probably needs no introduction, it is, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful places on earth and is in fact the UK's UNESCO World Heritage nomination for 2016. The Lune Valley itself is a timeless landscape of beautiful unspoilt countryside & ancient stone-built villages and the Yorkshire Dales is home to some of England's finest limestone scenery including one of the longest and most complex cave systems in Britain. If you like the outdoors you cannot help but fall in love with this region.
Kirkby Lonsdale is an absolutely delightful historic market town home to numerous enticing cafés, bars, restaurants and small independent shops as well as an excellent supermarket. The view of the River Lune, as painted by Turner and praised by John Ruskin as "one of the loveliest views in England", can be seen from St Mary's churchyard in Kirkby Lonsdale.
Cowan Bridge: is a small village with an excellent general store/newsagents and cafe run by Geoff and Steven. It also has two restaurants and a bar only a half mile walk away (boots recommended though and not high heels!).
This whole area is a walkers paradise in all seasons. With walks a-plenty straight from the doorstep and many more only a short drive away - you'll definitely need more than a week to do the area justice!
In addition to walking there are any number of other outdoor pursuits in the area: Potholing/Caving, Climbing/Abseiling, Cycling, Canoeing, Sailing, Golf, Fishing, Horse Riding.
The price includes electric, heating, large basket of logs for the log-burner, linen, towels and unlimited internet/wifi.
FOR MORE INFORMATION: please see our website: (website hidden) or "Contact Me".
FOR GUEST REVIEWS: please see Trip Advisor.
This is the final rate, including any fees from the host and Airbnb.