About this listing
This unique, top-floor studio penthouse in the heart of Old Town in downtown Victoria is an urban traveller's dream. Walk out the door onto historic wood cobblestone streets and you're literally steps away from the Lower Johnson shopping.
Welcome to the studio penthouse at the Morley Soda Factory, a three-story, nine-unit heritage building that was completely renovated and restored only five years ago. Originally constructed in 1884, the building has been a flagship of the downtown core for 130 years – and now you can stay here and experience all the amazing things downtown Victoria has to offer.
Being on the top floor, the space has lots of natural light, keeping the apartment bright and warm. It’s the perfect place to make your home base while exploring and you can easily duck back inside at any point during your day for a quick nap, or a snack, or just to take a break to relax with a great cup of local coffee on the terrace.
The carefully designed studio – which was completed in late-2009 – has all the amenities you could want for a short or long-term rental:
• Three-piece bathroom with fresh towels, shower/tub and all the fixings
• Planted terrace with bistro set overlooking the famous wooden cobblestones of Waddington Alley and onto Johnson Street
• Hair dryer and iron
• A wall-mounted flat screen TV, complete with Apple TV box + Netflix
• A brand new Queen-sized bed, with fresh linens, individual hanging lamps and big pillows
• A complete kitchen loaded with all the dinnerware, cookware and glasses you could ever need; as well as a fridge, freezer, brand new oven, stovetop and a row of kitchen bar seats for socializing while you cook
• An elevator to help you lug those bags up to the top floor!
• The building has a very private rear courtyard garden for relaxing, if you so choose
• The most secure and inexpensive covered parking lot in town is less than 50 meters away
• Habit Coffee & Culture, an award-winning independent coffee shop is only a three-minute walk (it’s our favourite)
• The historic and iconic Johnson Street Bridge can be seen from the terrace and is literally across the street – so you can take casual walks over the harbour to get a full view of the city
• All of Victoria’s best restaurants and bars are within walking distance
• Easy access to taxis for excursions that go a little further
• There are three great brew pubs within walking distance, two less than five minutes away
Interaction with Guests
I was born and raised in Victoria and both Danielle and I have lived and travelled abroad, so we’re well-versed in the different desires of travelers. We’re happy to sit down with you to discuss what you might be interested in doing and can offer local knowledge, insider tips and answer any questions you might have. Or, we can happily leave you to your own devices and let you explore Victoria from this amazing home base on your own.
The historic character of the neighbourhood is what first attracted us to this property. The historic buildings and alleys connect you seamlessly to bustling streets with award winning restaurants, cocktail lounges, bars, pubs, coffee shops, yoga studios and boutique shops for clothes, apparel and more.
Our suite offers you a chance to be right in the center of downtown while avoiding some of the more trying aspects of tourist traps and hotels. You’ll get a truly local experience, the local culture and community that bustles all around the area. Once you park your vehicle (if you have one) you are unlikely to need it again, as almost everything is within walking distance.
Our studio is centrally located in the heart of downtown and the Old Towne district. Bring your bike! Park your car and walk, or easily grab a cab or bus from right out front. Waddington Alley stretches between Yates Street and Johnson Street, two one-way streets going opposite directions that will bring you to the most amazing shops, restaurants, historic buildings and other community locations in Victoria.
Other Things to Note
See You Soon!
We love this little spot and our town and we look forward to providing a unique experience and comfy nest for your Victoria adventure.
Christian + Danielle
We expect you to treat our place as if it was your own, and we ask very little of you in terms of rules, other than common sense and common courtesy. We are strictly a non smoking suite and ask that you do not smoke inside or on the terrace. Also, be mindful that there are other people living in the building, so please keep the noise to a minimum after 10pm. You are welcome to have friends visit and enjoy the space with you, but as it is a small space we would like to keep the total number to about 6 people. If you are planning on having more, please ask. We are happy to chat about anything you have planned. As for pets, please do notify us beforehand as we work on a case by case basis with pets.
Check In is at 3pm and Check Out at noon. We have been able to accommodate early check ins or bag drop offs (for a fee), so ask and we will do our best. If you are planning on checking in after the set time of 3pm, please communicate with us and we will do our best to accommodate you.