About this listing
Charming home in the heart of San Francisco's Bernal Heights, voted America’s hottest neighborhood for 2014 and loved by San Franciscans. Professionally designed interior and landscaped garden with stunning views, delightful indoor & outdoor spaces.
∞ Known as Green Dreams Bernal Retreat the view from the bedroom is expansive while out the living room windows a strawberry tree described as the "stellar example in San Francisco" provides an embrace. Friendly neighborhood and quiet neighbors. The home is on a small residential quiet street and offers a peaceful retreat in this bustling, vibrant city.
∞ Winfield street is quintessential Bernal with its great access to the top of the hill park & the main shopping area of Cortland Avenue. Although you are in the heart of SF, you have privacy and the entire house to yourself.
∞ Ten well graded stairs to the front door with a handrail and to the garden level where you can hottub is thirteen well graded steps with handrail and another five steps with handrail to relax in the garden.
∞ A small color monitor in the bedroom with TV, DVD and video accessories. WIFI connection throughout the house and garden.
∞ Bernal is hilly and my home is on a small hill.
Guests have access to a house in a popular San Francisco neighborhood. This is an entire home, not an apartment with lots of outdoor space. A charming, private garden offers a backyard oasis with an outdoor hot tub and hot and cold shower. The garden is surrounded by lush and colorful plants ideal for clothing optional hot tubbing and showering. The garden includes a cozy settee and small dining table with folding canvas chairs. New double pane windows throughout with screens (unusual for San Francisco), skylights in the hall and kitchen and a bathroom atrium with succulent garden all give the home bright, natural light throughout. Non metered street parking, no neighborhood parking permits required and no street cleaning days.
House Spaces in Detail:
(1) The bedroom and adjacent rear deck offer stunning views of Twin Peaks, Noe Valley and Glen Park. Often the moon sets on the Twin Peaks horizon and you can watch the fog curl over the city. The deck includes a miniature tree garden, two comfortable cushioned chairs and coffee table. The bedroom has a small pull down desk and a unique library of garden, botanical and landscape books.
(2) Adjacent to the colorful kitchen is the dining area with a large window. In addition to a plethora of neighborhood restaurants guests have use of a full kitchen stocked with pots & pans, dishes, silverware, appliances including toaster oven, dishwasher, blender, espresso machine, oven and stove and herb cabinet including staples like olive oil and vinegars.
(3) The cozy living room with velvet couch for lounging with large windows across the front looking out to one of the prettiest Strawberry trees in the city.
(4) Remodeled bathroom with original mosaic tile and new composite stone countertop sink, shower and tub combined should you prefer indoor bathing.
Interaction with Guests
Before arrival I will assist with any questions about things to do, places to go, museum shows or best transportation to the house. During your stay I am easily accessible via cell phone, email or text. Your Welcome Packet includes information about the house, public transportation (buses, Bart, street cars and ferries). When you arrive a fruit basket awaits you, information sheet and a basket of maps and things to do in SF and Bay Area.
This wonderful house is close to shopping, restaurants, parks and transportation. From the house walk two blocks up to the Esmeralda/Bernal steps which lead to the famous 360 degree panoramic views from Bernal Hill Park. Walk five minutes to Cortland Street's charming neighborhood restaurants for dining, bookstore, shops, organic market, coffee/tea houses, live music, wine bar and infamous Wild Side West bar with pool table and lovely outside beer garden. Other Bernal parks within easy walking include Holly and Precita Park.
Five minute walk down to Mission Street grocery store, pharmacy and drug store, gas station, many restaurants from sushi to tacqueria's, hardware store and post office. You will find nightlife nearby with several clubs for dancing and entertainment on Mission including El Rio, and The Marsh theater on Valencia Street. Great transit locale with the Mission bus just a five minute walk taking you to many connections, 10 minute walk to catch the J Church train which takes you downtown and the Embarcadero for shopping or ferries and 20 minute walk to 24th street Bart for transportation in the city, East Bay, to and from the airport and all over the Bay Area. If you are driving there is easy freeway access to the airport and Peninsula both on 101 and 280.
Other Things to Note
• Minimum four night stay
• Check in and check out can often be flexible.
• Green Dreams Bernal Retreat is a lesbian/gay friendly, chemical + smoke free home. Owner keeps a vegetarian kitchen; guests are free to prepare meals of their choice.
• This is a chemical free home, no harsh cleaning products used only green products.
Shoes at the door. Home not suitable for children. No smoking on property, house or garden.
About the Host, Jocelyn
Outdoorsy, I have my own business, Poetree Landscapes & Arboriculture working as an arborist and aesthetic pruner. Practice yoga and swim especially like open water swimming. Swam from Alcatraz one year. Vegetarian. I used to do a number of different careers from oil paining to running a feminist press publishing historical postcards on women. Even worked at Lucas Arts for awhile, but not on the Star Wars project. I love big trees, big old trees and diving into mountain lakes.
I host airbnb guests in my home too when I am away.