Want to be pampered in a country, rustic setting? This is the place for you. Located in Soquel, near Santa Cruz, this hideaway offers seclusion but is near beaches, wineries and everything the Santa Cruz area has to offer. Ideal for that romantic weekend.
The two person slipper style copper tub is, by far, the main draw for many guests. But the Cottage has a long history. Initially it was the kiln for a potter who lived here before us. That consisted of a concrete pad and open roof and walls. When I needed an office, my husband made it into what became known as "The Temple." He used recycled materials, including stained glass from his boyhood home in Missouri, made into windows by our son. Later, it became Sarai's spa (Sudzzz) and that is when my husband built the fence and Sarai put in the private brick courtyard.
Soquel is a lovely little town about 6 miles from Santa Cruz. From here, you can easily go hiking, go to the beach, visit wineries or just hang out. If you are interested in hiking or wineries in the area, we can refer you to good website. Also, on Saturday morning, there is a fantastic farmer's market at Cabrillo College in Aptos, about 2.5 miles away. It's worth going just for the atmosphere, the good coffee and the apricot biscotti (gluten free if you want).
Bus service to Santa Cruz and Watsonville is available in the village of Soquel, about a mile away. Santa Cruz has a great trolley that you can take from downtown to the Beach/Boardwalk every half hour, for a tiny fee of 25 cents. Also, if you would like to tour a winery (or 2 ot 3), for example, we can arrange for you to have a car and driver for an extra charge.
The County of Santa Cruz requires that all Airbnb hosts collect an 11% Transient Occupancy Tax (same as hotels). This tax is included in the price of your room.
There is a private courtyard next to the cottage and the front native garden has a great path so that you can stop to smell the flowers. We do have chickens - beautiful hens and one rooster; they don't live near the Cottage, but you may run into one or two from time to time.
Interaction with guests
Due to job commitments, we are not always available to greet our guests; but we communicate by e-mail so that there is no problem getting into the Cottage. If guests let us know when they will arrive, however, we will do our best to be here to greet them. And, of course, we respect the privacy of our guests, so we leave them alone unless they initiate contact.
Other things to note
1. Internet. We are out in the country; this means that the nearest cell phone tower is pretty far away which can result in inconsistent internet service. Our provider says that they are upgrading, so we hope this problem will disappear soon. In the meantime, be prepared for spotty internet service, especially with your phones and tablets.. Laptops works best.
2. Water. We are on a well; like Calistoga and other spas, this means that the water may look cloudy and slightly yellow tint to it, because it has several minerals in it which can get through our high-end ozone filtering system. However, the water is clean and safe; if you would like to know more about our water filter, we can provide you with information. In addition, we provide drinking water that does not come from the well.
3. The County of Santa Cruz requires that all Airbnb hosts collect an 11% Transient Occupancy Tax (same as hotels). This tax is included in the price of your room.
4. Green and Clean. We try to be very mindful of the fact that some people are very scent sensitive and we are trying to be as "green" as we can be in this business. We now use the following cleaning products:
Mr. Meyer's Clean Day (lemon verbena)
Nellie's Laundry Soap
Watkin's At Home Care Furniture Polish
Of course, the Cottage is located on 2.5 acres, so there will be plant odors that vary with the time of year like pine, grass, lavender, roses, etc. These are well outside the Cottage, however, for you to enjoy if you chose.
5. Problems/Refunds. If something is not working in the cottage (for example, there is no hot water), please let us know and we will make every effort to take care of the problem. Do not suffer silently and end up not having the experience that you deserve. Our policy is to not give a refund if you stay in the Cottage after you discover a problem and you have not let us know about it.
1. Checkout Time. We will allow a one-hour late checkout if arranged in advance; after the one hour, we charge $20 per hour and all guests must be out by 2:00 p.m.
2. If your stay includes a Friday or Saturday night, there is a 2 night minimum required.
3. Pet Policy. We do allow a small well behaved dog if we approve him or her in advance. We do not allow dogs that are shedding, and we are adamant about the dog not being left alone in the room
4. Breakage. Breakage is a replacement and a safety issue, so we need to know about it. If you break something without letting us know (you can use e-mail to do this), we will automatically take your deposit.
Cancel up to 24 hours before your trip and get a full refund. Cancel within 24 hours of your trip and the first night is non-refundable.
My husband is a retired college teacher and I am an almost retired attorney with a small practice in estate planning and administration. Our property has two houses plus the small cottage that we have now opened as an Airbnb. My daughter, Sarai, and her family live in the second house on the property and she and I are the persons who are running the Airbnb. She is a licensed aesthetitian and who also works as a concierge/professional organizer with business Here to Help. Both my husband and I like to stay in a comfortable place that allows us some freedom and space. We are not happy in hotels, so we often rent houses or apartments; we have not travelled much since Airbnb has been available, but when we do travel, it will definitely be an option for us.
A few years ago, I started studying Italian; I am not very good at it, but do love the language, and my goal now is to go to school in Italy for three months.
We feel very lucky to live where we do and we hope that if you choose to stay with us, you will experience the special tranquility that this countryside offers.