Want to be pampered in a country, rustic setting? This is the place for you. Located in Soquel, near Santa Cruz, this hideaway offers seclusion but is near beaches, wineries and everything the Santa Cruz area has to offer. Ideal for that romantic weekend.
The two person slipper style copper tub is, by far, the main draw for many guests. But the Cottage has a long history. Initially it was the kiln for a potter who lived here before us. That consisted of a concrete pad and open roof and walls. When I needed an office, my husband made it into what became known as "The Temple." He used recycled materials, including stained glass from his boyhood home in Missouri, made into windows by our son. Later, it became Sarai's spa (Sudzzz) and that is when my husband built the fence and Sarai put in the private brick courtyard.
Soquel is a lovely little town about 6 miles from Santa Cruz. From here, you can easily go hiking, go to the beach, visit wineries or just hang out. If you are interested in hiking or wineries in the area, we can refer you to good website. Also, on Saturday morning, there is a fantastic farmer's market at Cabrillo College in Aptos, about 2.5 miles away. It's worth going just for the atmosphere, the good coffee and the apricot biscotti (gluten free if you want).
Bus service to Santa Cruz and Watsonville is available in the village of Soquel, about a mile away. Santa Cruz has a great trolley that you can take from downtown to the Beach/Boardwalk every half hour, for a tiny fee of 25 cents. Also, if you would like to tour a winery (or 2 ot 3), for example, we can arrange for you to have a car and driver for an extra charge.
The County of Santa Cruz requires that all Airbnb hosts collect an 11% Transient Occupancy Tax (same as hotels). This tax is included in the price of your room.
There is a private courtyard next to the cottage and the front native garden has a great path so that you can stop to smell the flowers. We do have chickens - beautiful hens and one rooster; they don't live near the Cottage, but you may run into one or two from time to time.
Interaction with Guests
Due to job commitments, we are not always available to greet our guests; but we communicate by e-mail so that there is no problem getting into the Cottage. If guests let us know when they will arrive, however, we will do our best to be here to greet them. And, of course, we respect the privacy of our guests, so we leave them alone unless they initiate contact.
Soquel is a lovely little town about 6 miles from Santa Cruz. From here, you can easily go hiking, go to the beach, visit wineries or just hang out. If you are interested in hiking or wineries in the area, we can refer you to a good website. Also, on Saturday morning, there is a fantastic farmer's market at Cabrillo College in Aptos, about 2.5 miles away. It's worth going just for the atmosphere, the good coffee and the apricot biscotti (gluten free if you want).
Bus service to Santa Cruz and Watsonville is available in the village of Soquel, about a mile away. Santa Cruz has a great trolley that you can take from downtown to the Beach/Boardwalk every half hour for a tiny fee of 25 cents.
Other Things to Note
1. Internet. We are out in the country; this means that the nearest cell phone tower is pretty far away which can result in inconsistent internet service. Our provider says that they are upgrading, so we hope this problem will disappear soon. In the meantime, be prepared for spotty internet service, especially with your phones and tablets.. Laptops works best.
2. Water. We are on a well; like Calistoga and other spas, this means that the water may look cloudy because it has several minerals in it which can get through our high-end ozone filtering system. However, the water is clean and safe; if you would like to know more about our water filter, we can provide you with information. In addition, we provide drinking water that does not come from the well.
3. The County of Santa Cruz requires that all Airbnb hosts collect an 11% Transient Occupancy Tax (same as hotels). This tax is included in the price of your room.
4. Green and Clean. We try to be very mindful of the fact that some people are very scent sensitive and we are trying to be as "green" as we can be in this business. We now use the following cleaning products:
Mr. Meyer's Clean Day (lemon verbena)
Nellie's Laundry Soap
Watking's At Home Care Furniture Polish
Of course, the Cottage is located on 2.5 acres, so there will be plant odors that vary with the time of year like pine, grass, lavendar, roses, etc. These are well outside the Cottage, however, for you to enjoy if you chose.
1. Checkout Time. We will allow a one-hour late checkout if arranged in advance; after the one hour, we charge $20 per hour and all guests must be out by 2:00 p.m.
2. Two Night Minimum during June through August. This applies only to weekends. During the week, one night stays are ok.
3. Pet Policy. We do allow a small well behaved dog if we approve him or her in advance. We do not allow dogs that are shedding, and we are adamant about the dog not being left alone in the room
4. Breakage. Breakage is a replacement and a safety issue, so we need to know about it. If you break something without letting us know (you can use e-mail to do this), we will automatically take your deposit.
The little cottage was lovely. The place was quiet with good privacy and never felt unsafe. Never got to meet Peggy in person but she was very easy to get a hold of by email. The biscotti were a nice treat after a long day of traveling.
We had a peaceful getaway from the city at the Copper Tub Cottage. It's a beautiful, quiet retreat, yet just a few minutes drive to great brunch, beaches, and shopping. The tub, bedding, and details--like stained glass, and eco-friendly bath products, and of course the glorious copper tub--made for a luxurious and relaxing experience. Our hosts Sarai and Peggy were kind and thoughtful. Next time we'll stay more than one night!
The copper tub cottage was great! We didn't meet Peggy, but saw Sarai on our way out, and she was very friendly. Peggy's correspondence was informative. Everything we needed was accounted for. Recommend!
Peggy and Sarai are lovely, accommodating hosts, 10 stars.
The cottage is cute, comfortable and very clean! The outdoor space is very private.
We loved it!
Our experience was great! Access and convenience and location were all wonderful. The Copper Tub is definitely the highlight of the place. The whole cottage was very cute and quaint and I would definitely recommend it to anyone again. Thanks to Sarai and Peggy for a great weekend!
We had a wonderful stay at the Copper Tub Cottage and the tub really was amazing! A great place to spend the night when looking for something calm and cozy
My husband is a retired college teacher and I am an almost retired attorney with a small practice in estate planning and administration. Our property has two houses plus the small cottage that we have now opened as an Airbnb. My daughter, Sarai, and her family live in the second house on the property and she and I are the persons who are running the Airbnb. She is a licensed aesthetitian who also works as a personal organizer. She does offer some skin care and massage services to Airbnb guests. So, if you are interested, consult the list in the cottage and make an appointment with her while you are here.
Both my husband and I like to stay in a comfortable place that allows us some freedom and space. We are not happy in hotels, so we often rent houses or apartments; we have not travelled much since Airbnb has been available, but when we do travel, it will definitely be an option for us.
A few years ago, I started studying Italian; I am not very good at it, but do love the language, and my goal now is to go to school in Italy for three months.
We feel very lucky to live where we do and we hope that if you choose to stay with us, you will experience the special tranquility that this countryside offers.