One-of-a-kind barn home on private 13 acre property next to Giants Ridge Recreation Area.
Old meets new in this unique space. All the amenities of an efficient modern home with the charming details of a century-old timber barn.
Ample space for relaxing on our property- private riverfront access, gardens, fire pit, and green space. The paved Mesabi Trail passes 1 block from our property. Swimming beaches within 1 mile. Giants Ridge (3 miles away) provides 2 golf courses, downhill/Nordic skiing, hiking, disc golf, snowshoeing and paddling (plus a rental shop to outfit you for adventure!).
The small town of Biwabik is 1.5 miles away, and we are about an hour drive to Ely, Duluth, and the shores of Lake Superior.
Interaction with Guests
I currently live about 2 miles away, but am generally at the property daily working on various projects (currently building a log cabin!). I respond quickly to texts/calls in case guests should need anything or have questions during their stay.
It is next to everything, yet away from it all!
Once you arrive, you won't want to leave. But if you do, a vehicle, bike or hiking shoes are required to get around.
1. The property is fully furnished and includes
Foyer: Entry room with bench seats and coat hooks.
Kitchen: Induction cook top, oven, microwave, dishwasher, refrigerator, cookware set, coffee maker, blender, mixer, food chopper, dinnerware, serving ware, cooking utensils, spices, condiments, coffee, tea, snacks, etc.
Living room: Sectional couch, (3) cushioned lounge chairs, TV, radio/CD player/iPod docking station, wood pellet stove, coffee table, end tables, lamps.
Dining Room: A booth style dining room with large table accommodates 8 comfortably.
Bedrooms: (2) queen beds, (1) full futon, (2) dressers, linens, pillows, side tables, lamps, air conditioning, in-wall heating system.
Bathrooms: The house contains a full bathroom on the second floor and half bath on main floor. (6) sets of towels, wash clothes, and hand towels provided. Heated floors
2. Rental Party: Unless pre-approved, the Guest responsible for the rental must be 25 years of age or older. The rental party shall consist of the Guest and those registered during check-in.
People other than those in the Rental party set forth above may not stay overnight in the property. Anyone else Guest permits on the property is to abide by the following rules at all times while at the property and is the sole responsibility of the Guest.
The guest house and property is privately owned; the owners are not responsible for any accidents, injuries or illness that occurs while on the premises or its facilities. The owners are not responsible for the loss of personal belongings or valuables of the guest. By accepting this reservation, it is agreed that all guests are expressly assuming the risk of any harm arising from their use of the premises or others whom they invite to use the premise.
3. Maximum Occupancy: The maximum number of guests is limited to 6 persons. No more than 6 guests are allowed without prior approved by the owner. An additional charge or $25 per person per night for guests in addition to 4 will be assessed.
4. Terms of the rental agreement begin at check in and end at check out.
5. Cancellation Policy: If Guest wishes to cancel his/her reservation, owner will provide a 100% refund (minus any applicable processing fees) if cancellation is made 30 days prior to check in date. For cancellations within 30 days of check-in, a refund will be granted if owner is able to rent the house to another guest during the scheduled period.
6. Insurance/Damage Deposit: We encourage all renters to purchase traveler insurance. Please check with your insurance provider regarding coverage during your stay, or contact us for information about purchasing insurance during your stay. We do not collect a damage deposit prior to your stay. However, Guest will be required to provide their valid credit card information, which will be held on file until after Guest's stay is complete. Guest will not be charged unless in the event of property damages requiring repair and/or professional cleaning, or for any unpaid rental fees.
7. Pet Policy: Guest is not allowed to bring pets on the property. Please contact us for names of local pet sitters if you would like this service.
8. Smoking Policy: Smoking is not allowed on the property.
9. Access: Guest shall allow owner access to the property for purposes of repair and inspection. Homeowner shall exercise this right of access in a reasonable manner.
10. Parking: Parking space is plentiful and free on the property. Guests are advised to lock their vehicles when parked.
11. Housekeeping: There is no daily housekeeping service. While linens and bath towels are included in the unit, daily maid service is not included in the rental rate. We suggest you bring beach towels if you plan to use the nearby beaches, as we do not permit towels or linens to be taken from the units.
12. Water and Septic: The property is on a well and septic systems. The mineral content in the water is high, and may impart a taste in the water. I water filter pitcher is provided in the refrigerator, and is useful in removing this taste from the well water. The septic system is very effective; however, it will clog up if improper material is flushed. DO NOT FLUSH anything other than toilet paper. No feminine products should be flushed at anytime. If it is found that feminine products have been flushed and clog the septic system, you could be charged damages for the septic cleaning costs.
Ok. So, this place is the most charming, lovingly restored farmhouse anywhere. Shawn is an artist--everything in the farmhouse is done with perfection. Kind of reminds me of the quote in the Mozart movie where Mozart asked Salieri to comment on one of his works and Salieri said "it has too many notes.." Well Shawn has produced a space and an atmosphere where no note is out of place. Iv'e been up there on a guys trip to to CC ski, and a family trip to teach my kids to downhill, both were remarkable. On top of this, Shawn is just a great guy, knowledgeable and helpful. If you want to learn about solar heating, pellet stoves, woodworking, cross country skiing, all are topics to discuss. I expect my family and i will be coming back for years to come.
Fabulous stay in Northern Minnesota! The house was very comfortable, beautiful, and full of thoughtful details.
My friends and I had an terrific experience at the Green Gate Guest House. Shawn is a true craftsman: the artistry involved in building and furnishing the house became evident during our first moments in the space. It was beautiful! He has stocked the house with anything you might need for cooking and plenty of magazines, books, and games. Shawn also gave us a wealth of information about the best spots for hiking, biking, swimming, etc. Green Gate exceeded our expectations, and we hope to visit again soon!
The greenhouse is simply amazing. Shawn has rebuilt an old farmhouse, with supreme craftsmanship and soul. The the detailing of the woodwork is beautiful. We spent 3 days cross country skiing with friends, and shawn was very responsive and insightful to all of our question--difficulty of trails, snow conditions, etc., really look forward to returning
A wonderful retreat, guest house was built from the heart and it shows! We loved our stay here and hope to return.
Awesome. Beautiful premisis and guest house. Amazing attention to detail from the craftsmanship of the guest house to the amenities provided. Well equipped with everything.... Even seasonings, oil, and cliff bars. Close to downhill skiing and even had a trail that hooked up with major xc ski routes. Our family thoroughly enjoyed our stay and look forward to coming back. Thank you Shawn!
We had a wonderful experience staying at Green Gate Guest House - everything was perfect - this is a beautiful cozy home. For people who love to cook - the kitchen is probably one of the best set up kitchen that we have come across in our travels. We cooked the whole weekend and it was a pleasure with all of the spices available in the home and quality cookware. We are looking forward to the next time we can stay here! Thanks Shawn!
This host has 2 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
I am a degreed professional (mechanical engineering as well as nutrition science) with a variety of passions and interests. In addition to a 'corporate' engineering career, I have worked in the natural foods industry (various roles over several years at a food co-op), nutritional counseling, and residential construction and interior design. For the past few years, I have been dedicated to the design/build of Green Gate Guest House- one of two unique lodging properties on my 13 acre homestead.
I have a passion for all areas of construction, design, technology, sustainable living, renewable energy, etc., and enjoy putting ideas into action through the myriad of projects I always have going!
I enjoy nature, outdoors, exercise (running, hiking, cycling, skiing, etc), as well as the culture and arts of the city. I've traveled domestically and internationally, and enjoy a mix of both 'roughing it' and 'pampering'- great experiences often include a bit of both! My travel adventures have been minimal for the past few years due to work commitments, but I look forward to more travel ahead (Nepal may be next!).
Having operated my vacation rental properties for almost two years now, I have been fortunate to host such a variety of wonderful guests. Everyone that has stayed here has been a pleasure to get to know, and I look forward to all our future guests.