About this listing
*** FEATURED AS ONE OF THE TOP 25 BROOKLYN APARTMENTS ON AIRBNB'S "Best of Brooklyn" LIST! ***
There's a waiting list of friends who want our apartment if we ever move out - but why would we? It's got:
• Charm to spare: hardwood floors, vaulted ceilings, original moldings and fireplaces and that greatest Big Apple rarity - SPACE! There's a big living/dining room, bright kitchen, and beautiful bathroom. Plus, one of us a professional performer so there's even a mirrored studio for yoga! (It can also be used to host additional members of your party on a case by case basis - we've got an air mattress.) Every detail in the place has been lovingly considered. It feels open and fresh in the warm months and homey and inviting in the cold ones, providing a tranquil contrast to the lively streets below.
Your room is a cozy space with a full-sized bed, organic linens and a tall window that lets in great light. It's got a separate entrance, so you don't have to worry about disturbing anyone when you come and go. Access to the rest of the apartment is a few steps down the hall, but we have the entire top floor, so you have privacy moving from your room to the rest of the apartment.
• Location: Just a four minute-walk from the G, ten from the A/C line, and 1-2 blocks from major bus lines, so it's very easy to get around.
- 6mn subway to Williamsburg (+4mn walk)
- 13mn subway to TriBeCa (+10mn walk)
- 15mn taxi to Lower East Side (unless it's
- 4mn subway to famous Brooklyn Flea
Market and beautiful Ft. Greene area with
gorgeous parks and fantastic bar/restaurant
scene (+4mn walk)
There are great coffee shops and restaurants (and a little grocer's with the most surprisingly delicious vegan baked goods) popping up all around us and we're convinced that our neighbors (a mix of African-American, Caribbean, and, well, hipster) are the friendliest in the entire city. Bed-Stuy is probably the most sought after developing neighborhood in the city right now - it had a rough-and-tumble reputation in the days when rappers Jay-Z and Notorious B.I.G. were growing up here, but it's come a long way and we've always felt safe and welcome.
• Our hosting style: We love this city and want you to as well! We take your well-being seriously. We'll give you as much privacy or guidance as you need to be happy and comfortable.
Some other goods: fast internet connection, ample street parking, amazing homemade Jamaican food downstairs, two super sweet cats. We don't have a TV, but we've got DVDs that you're welcome to enjoy. (we use our laptops for the latter.)
Please let us know if you've got any questions!
*Note: Guest Bedroom is the smaller of the two rooms shown. The Master (with the cat on the bed), which includes an attached office, may sometimes be available at a higher rate. Just ask!
Other Things to Note
We love that this place has its original decor and atmosphere, and we hope you will love it too. However if you're usually more comfortable somewhere more modern and polished, it might not be for you.
There may be times when we are out of town but can't take our kitty cats with us. If this is the case, we're open to giving a discount if you are willing to take over feeding, litterbox cleaning (and hugs) during your stay!
Also, we're fully aware (and sad) that one or two recent reviews mention maintenance or cleanliness issues. We always strive to keep the place wonderfully clean and functional, however there was a short period while we were gone that the care-taking we had counted on lapsed. Since then we've come back and given the place lots of love and attention! Rest assured we are very house-proud.
We're laid-back and considerate and hope you are too. We've got to be fanatically clean in the kitchen to ward off six-legged friends, so please keep that in mind.
You must tolerate, if not enjoy, cats.
About the Host, Kestrel
I'm a UK native based in New York and Los Angeles, working internationally as a theater artist and actress. Glad to share my favorite New York performance venues and spots for wellness and good food.
I'm caring for this apartment temporarily for my dear friend Jacqui, which is why you'll see the reviews so far reference her as the host.