About this listing
Detached private studio offers a quiet place to recharge within all the hustle and bustle of the city. Sleek decor, plush linens, wifi, and a mini-kitchenette with refreshments make for a restful travel alternative.
Renovation was finished in October 2013 with ultra-quiet heating and cooling unit, separate entrance, dedicated parking for one car, and well-appointed en suite bath.
The kitchenette has a mini fridge, microwave, Nespresso coffee maker, and assorted dinnerware. PLEASE READ description through to the bottom: "Other Things to Note."
Guests have access to a large shady backyard and entertaining area, complete with fire pit during the colder months.
Interaction with Guests
We will be present during your stay, but we respect our guests' privacy and recognize that this is often an alternative option for those seeking peace and quiet that they couldn't otherwise get in a hotel. Check-in and check-out are completely self-sufficient and we rarely meet our guests.
Located in the heart of South Congress, this guest studio is a 10-minute walk to all of Soco's famed shopping and restaurants. A quick 5-minute drive, or a walk to the nearby bus stop, will bring you Downtown. This is the ideal spot for travelers looking for peace and quiet in a historic neighborhood with a distinct “South Austin” feel.
The airport is a short 20-minute drive, depending on time of day, and there are bus routes nearby if you're comfortable walking. Austin's bus system is reliable, but we recommend getting a car while you're in town. You will be able to park your car in our driveway during your stay.
Other Things to Note
There is NO TV in this home.
This home is not listed as a family-friendly property. No persons under the age of 18 in the studio.
There are two dogs on the property that will occasionally be seen chasing tennis balls in the backyard during your stay ☺ They will never be unattended.
While the water tank is not shared with the main house, it will run out of hot water if you take a long enough shower. Please be aware.
Wifi has been reported by a handful guests to be spotty. We have been unable to replicate the issue ourselves, but have purchased a "signal repeater" and have had no complaints since. AT&T believes it has to do with the type of device that is being used to connect.
***Strict Cancellation Policy***
1. Please read the description thoroughly before booking.
2. "Why didn't you respond to my 2am call about the wifi being slow?" Because we're sleeping. This is our home, not a hotel! This studio is our in-law suite first, a rental second. We recognize that we are being paid to provide a service: a safe, clean, quiet, and comfortable place to sleep, shower, and store your things during your stay. Please understand that we have jobs, families, and obligations apart from Airbnb. Calls, texts, and emails after 9pm will addressed the next morning.
3. Communication: Please do not bang on our doors or windows to get our attention. The dogs will bark and we have an infant son who is easily woken. We provide our cell number so that you can reach us easily by calling or texting. We also have the Airbnb app loaded onto our cell phones so we can receive message alerts. Please call us with your urgent requests and if we're home, we'll meet you outside immediately.
4. Check-In / Check-Out: Late check-out and early check-in requests need to be determined at the time of booking.
5. Parking: The driveway is yours to park in during your stay. If you would prefer to park on the street in one of the two spots in front of our house, just let us know and we'll move a car to the driveway.
6. Noise: Please be mindful of noise after 8pm if you are in the backyard. Though the yard is wooded and private the sound carries to our neighbors.
7. Additional Guests: You are welcome to bring up two additional guests onto our property with prior notification, however they CANNOT stay the night and must use available street parking.
8. Children: We do not allow persons under the age of 18 to stay in the studio.
9. Fire Pit: When you're done using the fire pit, douse the flames THOROUGHLY (no smoke or steam coming from the pit) with the hose in the back of the guest house and turn off the water when you're done. *Failure to do so will result in the loss of your security deposit.* Texas is dry and failing to watch or properly douse a fire puts you and everyone in our neighborhood at risk.
The place was exactly as described-- well equipped and clean. I read several reviews which said people had issues with the shower, but we didn't experience that. It was in a good location, and we enjoyed our stay. Our hosts promptly responded to our communications and everything went smoothly. We never even saw our hosts, which is nice if you're an introvert. :)
Nicole responded promptly to my inquiry about arrival time and restaurant suggestions with detailed information. We have traveled widely internationally and lived abroad and enjoy interesting cities, architecture, museums and culture. Austin was well worth visiting although it was relentlessly hot. The guest studio in the hosts' backyard was clean, tastefully decorated and comfortable. We enjoyed the Nespresso coffee provided and used the mini refrigerator for simple breakfast items. The cleaning supplies made it easy to wash our dishes and clean the bathroom during our four-day stay. Nicole's restaurant recommendations and music club suggestions were excellent. We particularly liked Elizabeth Street Cafe, Botticelli's and the Continental Club. Food was delicious and service staff friendly. We even met a transplanted Canadian from Ontario! The guest studio is about 9-10 blocks from South Congress in a safe neighbourhood but due to the July heat we chose to drive, park and walk. We appreciated the air conditioning and ceiling fan in the guest studio which was private and quiet despite Nicole and Chris having two dogs and a new baby.
I think everything that can be said has already been said by previous reviewers. The property was just as described. We were extremely happy there. We had no problems with the air conditioning but we were never able to get on the wifi. We were out and about a lot and didn't have much contact with our hosts, who have a new baby. However, they were friendly and quick to respond to our text messages.
This was such a cute little place in a gorgeous area of Austin. Located on a small street, it's easy to find and 5 minutes from South Congress. If you like peace and quiet, this would be perfect for you as it was for me. It has no television and connecting to the wireless can be difficult at times (although not impossible) but location is everything. I walked throughout the neighborhood one evening and it was just beautiful...full of unique Austin architecture and horticulture. Even without a television, South Congress and downtown are so close with plenty of entertainment. The hosts were incredibly kind and easy to communicate with. I only saw them once as they were quiet and made sure my experience was private. I'd definitely go back to this cute cottage!!
Nicole and Chris were very welcoming, even with a new (and very quiet) baby. I had a great stay in Austin, their place is very convenient for SoCo.
The private space was impeccably maintained. We felt like we were the first guests to stay there. Definitely a great and convenient option for those looking to enjoy any part of Austin.
Welcoming hosts. Accurate listing, and a clean place to stay. Travis Heights is a convenient and quiet neighborhood to stay in. Would stay again.
This host has 2 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
About the Host, Nicole & Chris
Nicole is a NYC transplant and Chris is an Austin native. When we're not running around town with our family, we're soaking up the city's food, art, and music scene. We're diehard fans of the Soco neighborhood so when you ask as what to do and see, we're going to be a little biased :-)