This is an old school ‘real’ Manhattan walk-up loft building that is landmarked as part of the Ladies’ Mile Historic District. A smaller building with a more intimate feel it has just 8 units, all owner occupied, with 2 stores on the ground floor.
Flatiron Loft -- W. 18th Street just off 5th Avenue
1500 sq ft
1 bedroom with home office/2nd bedroom
2 queen size beds/sleeps 4
The unit has a wide open floor plan so you will have lots of room to move around and not feel cramped like many Manhattan apartments. It is the single thing most people comment on. The loft sleeps 4 comfortably, and if you have a 5th visiting, the couch in the living room is equivalent to a twin-size futon when you take the pillows off. My unit is on the 4th floor (which is 3 flights of stairs).
The loft is heated/cooled throughout. The main area has a huge air conditioner that cools the place in 10 minutes. The back bedroom has its own airco so you can just use that at night. There is a video intercom system to let people in.
Apple Airport Extreme Wireless Router 802.11n
Cable TV w/DVR
Panasonic 31" flat screen in living room
Sony Surround Sound DVD/CD player
Toshiba 20" TV w/built-in DVD player in back bedroom
Cuisinart coffee maker
Cuisinart toaster oven
Cuisinart ice cream maker
Each bedroom has 2 closets. 2 closets have my stuff stored in them and 2 are available for your use.
18th Street is in the Flatiron District -- great shopping, restaurants and galleries within walking distance. Nearby Union Square is host to a sprawling Farmer's Market 4 days a week as well as Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. Just north on 5th Ave at 23rd is Mario Batali's new Eataly -- a 50,000 sq ft artisanal Italian food and wine marketplace. A short walk south puts you in the heart of Greenwich Village, while the same time to the north gets you to 34th Street and Madison Square Garden or Macy's. The Famous Chelsea Piers Sports Complex is a fifteen minute walk west on the Hudson River with health and fitness facilities (pool, gym, classes, rock climbing, etc.) roller blading, two ice skating rinks, bowling alley, driving range and a wide variety of children's programs. The 4/5/6/L/N/Q/R/W are all less than 6 blocks away at the 14th St/Union Square station, and the 1 train at 18th street make travel to other parts of Manhattan simple.
Sheets & Towels included
Cookware, Utensils, Dishes, Glasses, etc.
Utilities included – cable, hi-speed internet + wireless, heat, electric*, gas
*during the warmer months, any electric use over $120/mo for the airco will be charged. This can range from an additional $50 to $150 per month during the hottest months.
Other Things to Note
Guest will need to sign a separate agreement as per the Coop which outlines the house rules such as when garbage can go out, no storage of items in the hallways, no roof access, no loud noise after 10pm, etc. They are very strict about these rules. Please read the terms below under House Rules.
1. The guest shall reside in the premises only as a temporary residence and shall not use the premises for any commercial, illegal, nuisance, or dangerous activity. Any activity that impacts the shared areas of the building such as hallways and front lobby (including but not limited to: parties; delivery of equipment; moving in of items; or excessive comings and goings of visitors) must be agreed upon with Owner in advance in writing. If moving in with more than a couple of suitcases per person, the Coop would charge a move-in/move-out fee to cover any damages to carpet or walls and will restrict the hours you are allowed to do so, all to be agreed upon in advance in writing.
2. Only the names listed above as Guests are entitled to reside in the apartment and as such these names and a current photo will be submitted to the Co-op Board of Directors. Any changes must be requested in writing in advance to Owner (via email is fine). Once approved, additional guests will incur additional charges of $_20_/nt per guest and booked thru the airbnb website. Their names/photos will be submitted to the Coop Board. No strangers may be admitted to the apartment and no friends or associates of Guest may be left alone in the apartment at any time. Guest must not assign all or part of this lease or sublet all or part of the Apartment or permit any other person to use the Apartment.
3. Guest is responsible for payment based on the length of time authorized in this agreement or for the period in which the guest is in occupancy, whichever is longer.
4. Guest will be given one set of keys for each guest on the agreement (2 sets minimum) and will not make duplicates. Guest will not change any locks on the door to the premises and will return all sets of keys at time of moving out or pay a key charge of $150.00 to re-key locks. Guest will not give a set of keys to anyone not listed on this agreement, unless agreed upon in writing with owner.
5. Any claim against the security deposit shall be released 48 hours after departure after owner determines that no damage, loss or injury (other than from reasonable wear and tear) has been done to the premises or property therein. If the premises are not vacated and left in ‘broom clean’ condition or if excess garbage, recycling, magazines, newspapers, shopping bags, boxes, debris, etc. is left behind to be disposed of, guest shall be charged an additional cleaning fee for the extra time involved. Also, if you move the furniture around while there, please make sure to return it before leaving, otherwise I will need to charge for the time involved to put it back. Leave all keys inside apartment by door and just pull door behind you making sure it locks. Please remove all personal belongings, take out trash and recycling (on day closest to your departure date), and leave used bedding and towels by washer/dryer. Do NOT leave garbage out the day you leave if it does not fall during the allowed times for garbage.
6. During the summer months Owner will make a claim against the security deposit for any amount in excess of $120/mo for the electric bill to compensate for additional air conditioning charges. In the past this has ranged anywhere from an additional $40 to $280, typically around $150. Upon departure, a claim of $300 will be made until such time as a utility bill is received, but no longer than 30 days, and once the overage is applied the balance will be refunded.
7. Owner shall not be responsible for any injury, loss or damage to guest or guest's property or friends other than as a result of owner's gross negligence. Guest must give Owner prompt notice of fire, accident, damage or dangerous or defective condition.
8. The guest agrees to be responsible for insuring his/her personal property, and Owner shall not be responsible for Guest's personal property.
9. Pets are not permitted.
10. No smoking inside the loft.
11. No loud noise after 10pm. That is a city ordinance. Once you are in the loft you don’t hear the neighbors, but walking up the stairway you do hear sounds from each loft. Having a couple friends over for dinner is one thing, but having a big party where people are coming in and out, talking loudly in the stairway, loud music every time you open the door, people leaving a little tipsy, is another. If you do have a gathering – being the exception not the rule – I can write the Co-op ahead of time and say you are having a dinner to celebrate the end of your project, or a birthday party, etc., but just be super conscious about how it impacts the building. You can hear people walking above you so that is also something to be conscious of after 10pm for the people below you. Upstairs is a single guy who is pretty quiet so you won’t hear him a lot, but you will hear his washing machine!
12. No roof access allowed at any time. This one is taken very seriously by the Co-op. Not only is it possible that the roof may get damaged causing expensive repairs, but the Co-op would be liable if anyone got hurt or slipped and fell. Also, the top units have skylights and any sense of strangers on the roof is an immediate threat to the owners in those units. If the police are called they will charge up the stairs with their guns drawn (which has happened). Alternatively my neighbor on the top floor has threatened to run up there with a baseball bat. So please do not violate this and also make doubly sure that your guests don’t leave the apartment to go smoke a cigarette and decide to go up on the roof without telling you! Also, if you buzz a guest in, be waiting at the door. One guest buzzed in friends after midnight that had had a bit to drink and they wandered up to the roof level. That tenant was evicted by the Co-op.
13. Do not go out onto the fire escape. It is designed for emergency use only and not to be used as a patio. Keep that back door locked securely at all times.
14. Do not leave anything in the hallways.
15. Guest will be very careful to follow Owner’s written instructions regarding the washer/dryer, front air conditioner and dishwasher or be liable for repairs resulting from misuse.
16. Guest will allow only non-toxic cleaners in the apartment and Owner will supply all products. Please note that only non-chlorine bleach can be used in the washing machine or it will be damaged and guest will be responsible.
17. Garbage may be put out on the sidewalk directly in front of the building between 5 pm and 1 am on Monday, Wednesday and Friday nights - but not the night before a city observed holiday in black plastic bags only. Any other times may result in a fine to the building of $500. If it is discovered that it is Guest's trash, Guest will be responsible for the fine. Recycling goes out on Monday evenings in clear plastic bags only. IF YOU DO NOT USE THE PROPER BAGS THE CITY WILL NOT PICK IT UP RESULTING IN FINES TO THE BUILDING. Recycling instructions are posted on refrigerator.
Never leave garbage in hallway for any reason at any time. Do not use white trash bags (City will not pick up).
18. During reasonable hours, and upon at least 24 hours notice to the guest, owner or his agent shall have the right to enter the premises for the purpose of inspection or repair or to show it.
19. Guest agrees that each violation of the terms of this agreement will incur a minimum $100 fine and guest may be required to immediately vacate the apartment and cause owner to change the locks. If evicted, Guest will be charged for the next 30 nights (or up until the end of the original reservation if fewer than 30 nights remain).
20. If Guest fails to pay rent or violates any terms in this agreement, Owner may bring a court action to evict Guest and Guest agrees to waive any defenses to such action. Guest further agrees to pay any legal fees incurred by Owner as a result of Guest’s failure to follow the terms of this Agreement.
21. Owner and Guest agree not to use their right to a Trial by Jury in any action or proceeding brought by either, against the other, for any matter concerning this Lease or the Apartment. This does not include actions for personal injury or property damage.
22. (hidden) is organized as a co-operative apartment corporation. (hidden) owns shares and the Proprietary Lease to the apartment (hidden). This sublease shall be subject and subordinate to all the terms, covenants and conditions of the Proprietary Lease and House Rules. Any conflicts between the Sublease and House Rules will be decided in favor of the Proprietary Lease and House Rules.
From the Proprietary Lease:
“If the occupancy of the Space by any subtenant or the conduct of the subtenant interferes in any material respect with the use of the Building by other tenants or creates a risk of damage to the Building or any property of the Corporation or any Tenant or is otherwise detrimental to the best interest of the Corporation or its tenants, the Corporation may in its sole discretion, terminate the subletting, and the Tenant, within 14 days after the Board of Directors gives written notice of the termination of a subletting, shall remove the subtenant from the Space. If the subtenant is not removed from the premises within 14 days after such notice and if the Tenant does not institute and diligently pursue a summary proceeding to evict the subtenant, the Corporation shall have a right to do so, and the cost shall be paid by the Tenant to the Corporation as additional rent hereunder. Any subletting or sublease, whether written or oral, entered into by the Tenant, shall be subject to the Corporation’s right to terminate the sublease, pursuant to this paragraph, and this right shall be disclosed to and agreed to by the subtenant before the commencement of the subletting.”
Guest agrees that if the Board of Directors gives written notice of the termination of a subletting, to vacate the space within 14 days.
The apartment is just as described in the listing. It is very spacious, but my favorite thing about it was the location. It's within walking distance of so many great things, Union Square, shops, restaurants and several subway stops. I stayed in the apartment for 3 months and Heather was very responsive whenever I had questions or concerns.
We had a great time living in Heather's apartment. It was clean, spacious, and very nice. The location could not be better. I definitely would recommend staying here.
This place is brilliantly located and very spacious. Quite the find in NYC. The neighbours were lovely and when there were troubles with the apartment Heather dealt with them in a very prompt and conscientious manner.
We stayed in Heather´s apartment for a month with a 1 y.o. and had a great time. Everything you need is just around the corner, and the subway station on Union Sq will take you anywhere.
The apartment actually feels more spacious than on the pictures, and Heather is a great host - always available and very helpful!
This was our first airbnb experience, and we could not be more happy with it. Only bad thing is that we had to leave!
I've been a lighting designer for theatre and opera in NY and Europe for over 30 years. After 25 years in NY I am now based in Los Angeles, doing installations with light and represented by a gallery. I love art, traveling, animals. In the last few years I've become really interested in raw foods and juicing and it has transformed my life.