About this listing
Beautiful almost 300 years old wooden cottage in heart of Switzerland at last plateau before Engelberg - mecca for freeriders.With unique familiar atmosphere which you can't find in hotels. Ideal for active holidays. You will be surrounded by nature.
Geniessen Sie das Abendessen in unserem schönen schweizerischen altem Wohnzimmer. Enjoy your Dinner in our beautiful Swiss old living room.
Last plateau before Engelberg 800 m above sea level. When you wake up you can be within 10 minutes at the Ski station and after other 15 minutes on Titlis - 3020 m above sea level. In winter season freeriders from whole Europe come here. But there you can find much more activities than freeride - paragliding, via ferrata, mountainbiking, walking in mountains, sunbathing at beautiful clear mountain lakes, scuba diving...
The price 40 CHF is per person per night. Clening costs departure time CHF 20.00 per Person.
We have 4 rooms for guests - one with 6 beds, one with 5 beds and two with 3 beds. There are also 2 newly renovated bathrooms, 2 toilets, pantry, newly renovated kitchen and two livingrooms.
If you want to rent whole house it costs 450 CHF per night. Otherwise, it's highly possible that there will be more guests in house.
Even if in the calendar it looks the house to be full, you may write me since we might still have some availability. Because even with only one person's reservation, at the Airbnb calendar it appears full house booked.
In Klondike you have free wifi. In livingrooms are TV, in bigger livingroom is also Apple TV so you can play anything from your Iphone or Ipad. Use of washing machine only after permission. Kitchen is full equipped - electric water boiler, microwave oven, dishwashing machine, toaster, induction hob, coffeemaker...
At the pantry there are boxes for your food and two fridges with freezers.
Interaction with Guests
If you need anything I'm living here so I can help you anytime.
There are many beautiful places in neighborhood - e.g. Titlis, End der Welt, Engelberg Käserei, Brunni, Luzern, Pilatus, Rigi, Stanserhorn...
Own car is highly recommended!! Klondike is right between two train stations, Grafenort and Engelberg. It's circa 5 km through the forest. Furthermore, you might can use taxi service to Grafenort or Engelberg and from there make your trips into neighbourhood by train.
TIP: You can buy tellpass and make your trips much cheaper.
Other Things to Note
The house is made of wooden, and therefore it can be noisy sometimes and smoking is only allowed outside.
We have cat, his name is Čert von Stein Please left your dogs at home. Čert doesn't like them.
Dogs or any other pets only after permission.
Please feel and behave here like at home. It is only important to tidy up after yourself and follow few house rules which I will tell you after your arrive. bring your slippers!! :-)
1. Strict prohibition of smoking and manipulating with open fire in the house.
The only exception is, when you are in bathroom. The candle could be placed only on designated place and all the time under restraint. Before you leave the room you are required to blow out all the candles! The fire-extinguisher is next to the main entrance and extinguishing blanket is in the kitchen. The biggest water supplies are into the bath, shower and in kitchen into the sink. In bathrooms are black waste bins under wash-basins boards. These bins could be used for water during fire. The shortest escape routes are: windows in bathrooms, main entrance and back entrance in 1st floor opposite toilet.
2. If you are sharing the house with other guests there is night hour 22:00 – 6:00. If you are only group of guests the night hour depends on you.
3. Turn lights off (the light in 1st floor in the hall could be on all the time). In winter don’t open the windows, if you need to, open it max. for 2 – 3 minutes together with closed doors. Entrance doors, doors to entrance hall, pantry and toilets has to be closed all the time! In summer open windows only with the mosquito nets. In winter left the doors to rooms open, because of heating the rooms through halls and during the day the small movable heaters have to be turned off.
4. We are not liable for your valuables. If you want you can store it at hosts.
5. All shared rooms keep clean. After using kitchen clean up after yourselves immediately. The counter top has to be clean and free all the time. All dishes except teflon pans and wooden spoons put in the dish-washer. Before putting it to dish-washer rinse the worst dirt. Stainless steel pots hand wash only with the yellow (softer) side of the dish sponge, otherwise it will be scratched. If the dirt is baked, let it soaked. If the dish-washer is full, start it. Tabs are on the counter top and we use only the program INTENSIVE. Please after using pots make it free and clean and put your food in plastic boxes to fridge, so other guests can use the pots again. You can use outside grill, if you clean it after yourselves and good keep down the fire.
6. Put all your food to plastic boxes or fridges in pantry. Small things, which you often use (tea, sugar, kid bottles, thermos bottles…), you can place to free drawers or cupboards in the kitchen. Please don’t leave this things on the counter top.
7. Sort out the garbage. PET–bottles (not plastics in general), tins, paper, glass and things suitable to compost. PET-bottles and tins make empty and crumple it. Mixed waste is the blue plastic bag in the kitchen, for sort out garbage is there another bag next to it and for compost is on the counter top big bowl. If you do not know how to do that, we will advise you gladly.
8. You can park on the park place for 2 cars near the Klondike. I fit is full you can park in line at drive way to barn in front of the house. If the grass is wet don’t go by cars on it near the house! If you are not sure where you can park, we will gladly show it to you.
9. After skiing you can dry your things around tile stove in living rooms. Your skies you can put to basement.
10. Cleaning cost departure time CHF 20.00 per Person.
If you need anything, we are here to help you :D
Loved the place, beautiful ! Real Switzerland !! Old house but has its charm ! Thanks for the great place
The klondike takes you back into a'typical SWISS "Challet" of the 18th century with modern accomodations. It is situated in exiting the first sharp turn in the climb towards Engelberg. It is in the middle of a meadow surrounded by an old typical Swiss water power station and adjacent to a forest with a beautifull trek towards Engelberg along a gorgeous water source. this trek is highly recommended. The situation is very central in Switzerland : 20 minutes from Lucern, 60 minutes from Bern or Zurich, 90 minutes from Interlaken. Of course it is close to the mount Titlis and its skiing resort. The house is surounded by a garden where Thomas and Nadine grow vegetables and flowers that the visitors can enjoy. THOMAS will make also barbecue for you. there is a lovely Pergola.
Great house. Clean and well organized. A lot of things available in the kitchen. Very friendly host. We felt very welkome. Our children liked the garden a lot. And so did we (so many delicious vegetables we ate!). I would recomment this place to anyone who loves nature and great hospitality. Thanx Thomas
Thomas was an excellent host during our stay! The house is in a beautiful location, clean and feels like home. Thomas is very accomodating and gave us some great tips for the area. Will hopefully be back again for the winter skiing! Would definitely recommend
Klondike, a 300 years old ancient chalet in valleys of Engleberg... never thought it would turn out to be so heavenly. Frankly, I just read reviews and checked location before booking it but wordy reviews can not simply describe the beauty of Klondike. Just 5 min away from Engelberg, easy access to all the mountains from Lucern region. If you have car.. its the best place to stay and enjoy several adventures. Host is kind , helpful and creative... he makes sure to turn this ancient place into party place. Thanks a lot Thomas for making our stay awesome. Last but not the least many thanks for the Drone film in the mountains!!! Hi 5.. See you next time.
Thomas was an incredible host! He brews his own beer, is a semi-professional beatboxer, and his own permaculture garden. When we arrived, Thomas made us feel at home and gave us full access to anything we could possibly need. After coming in at night, Thomas would start a fire and provide us recommendations of what we should do the next day. Overall it was an incredible experience! Definitely would recommend it to anyone.
We had a great time in Switzerland. Thomas is a friendly and helpful host. Klondike is a great place for a younger crowd to stay in but was a bit challenging for my 78 year old mother. Be prepared to hear noises at night when someone uses the restroom. Since the Berghaus is 300 years old, everything speaks. Overall I would recommend Klondike but only if you are traveling with a younger crowd. Make sure you are traveling by car since it is quite a hike to a town nearby. The setting is gorgeous and right next to hiking trails.
About the Host, Thomas & Nadine
D: Wir leben im Berghaus Klondike in Obermatt. Auf Reisen bevorzugen wir Unterkünfte für sportbegeisterte junggebliebene Leute. Diese möchten ich Ihnen in meinem Berghaus bieten. Erleben Sie die Gastfreundschaft, die Ihnen in diesem Haus zuteil wird. :-)
EN: We live in Berghaus Klondike in Obermatt. When we travel we prefer unique home atmosphere than big impersonal hotels. The same we trying offer to my guests. So they can taste swiss life. :-)