The Colibri Casita Is a charming new cottage at our the 35 acre Bio Thermales rainforest reserve with natural hot and cool springs pools in the north-central Costa Rican heartland. This is authentic Costa Rica: clean, comfortable and close to nature.
We are three hours north of San Jose (airport), 45 minutes east of Fortuna and Volcano Arenal.
Our hot springs are ancient “deep Earth” sources that bubble up through the rainforest floor, bringing mineral-rich waters that have been in the Earth for at least 10,000 years. Our waters are rich in bicarbonates, calcium and magnesium, low in sulfur, and slightly acidic, qualities shared by many of the world's best hot springs.
Guests enjoy 24 hour access to the hot springs, swimming pools and rainforest trails
Please note that we do not charge extra for children under 18 years old.
Colibri Casita features (see floor-plan for all details):
• Air-conditioning (but you probably won't need it)
• All onsite hot springs and recreation activities included
• Master bedroom with handcrafted four poster Queen sized bed with orthopedic mattress and hypoallergenic bedding
• Second bedroom with Queen sized bed with orthopedic mattress and hypoallergenic bedding and a Twin-sized bed with hypoallergenic bedding
• Hand-crafted rustic furniture from naturally harvested trees on the land
• Complete kitchen with stove, refrigerator, micro-wave, coffee maker, electric skillet and basic kitchenware
• Tiled bathroom with real hot-water heater
• Balcony in back, accessible by sliding glass doors from each bedroom overlooking the rainforest
• Maid service every 3 days included
• Laundry service at $5per load
• Short walk to rainforest and hot springs pools
• No telephone or television
• Hosts Kathy and Bernie live onsite
• Languages: English, Spanish, German, limited French
Note on wifi -- we are currently working on a system to establish wifi connection with the casita, but at this time wifi is available only to the Tree House or at our reception area. If internet access is very important to your work, the best option is to bring a laptop/device with a USB port and purchase a 3G stick at SJO airport for about $50, no contract required. Remote locations in Costa Rica usually have spotty or no wifi and weather dependent.
One time $10 cleaning fee; thereafter housecleaning services every 3 days are free.
Bio Thermales Hot Springs features:
• Our hot springs pools are all-natural mineral water just as it flows from the Earth
• Rainforest Pools from 90° - 105°F (31° - 40°C)
• Grotto Pools in meadow flow from the 112°F/45°C source pool onward into two larger and progressively cooler pools which are handicap-accessible and suitable for small children.
• Cool Thermal Pool in meadow is 90°F/31°C mineral water flowing from the thermal creek
• 2 Cool Spring Water swimming pools (all natural, continuous water flow) from forest spring
• Bathhouse in meadow with handicap accessible bathrooms and showers
• “Ranchos” – roofed tables with concrete floors and grills for picnics
Other Activities on our 35 acre rainforest reserve:
• Bird-watching: many types of toucans, oropendulas, parrots, hummingbirds, and the rare green macaw
• Rainforest: enjoy it from the casita porch or hot springs pools, take easy walks on paths or more adventurous hikes
• Fossils – enjoy our collection or hunt (gently) for your own
• Wildlife: two-toed sloths, iguanas, capuchin and mantled howler monkeys, tree frogs, birds, butterflies, even a jaguarondi if you are lucky and quiet.
We are happy to help guests arrange activities through trustworthy tour guides and companies.
Bio Thermales Hot Springs is open to the public for day use of the hot springs, and most of our day visitors are Costa Ricans, so you may also meet new Tico friends. Bio Thermales is generally not crowded, however, except on major holidays and Sundays.
You may see our other listings on Airbnb at:
Tree House: "Rainforest Tree House with Hot Springs" airbnb.com/rooms/50435
Tucano Casita (Toucan Casita) is listed as "Rainforest Casita with Hot Springs": airbnb.com/rooms/30358
Mariposa Casita (Butterfly Casita) is listed as "Rainforest Casita2 with Hot Springs" airbnb.com/rooms/51518
Colibri Casita (Hummingbird Casita) is listed as "Rainforest Casita3 with Hot Springs"
Food/Meals: The casita has a kitchen. There are many restaurants and a good supermarket within a 15 minute drive. Traditional Costa Rican meals can be delivered from a local caterer for very reasonable prices (Costa Rican food is tasty but not spicy). Otherwise, we can call a taxi or synchronize a food shopping trip when we go to town for errands.
Driving from SJO airport:
We highly recommend at least a small 4 wheel drive car. The last 3 kilometers are country roads.
Three hours of daylight are needed to safely drive here from the SJO airport before sunset at 5:30 pm. The drive through mountainous cloud forests is splendid in daylight, but prone to fog and rain, especially at night, creating hazardous visibility conditions after dark. Finding our countryside location will also be far easier if you arrive the first time before sunset. If your plane lands in the morning or mid-day, you can drive here directly from the airport. Otherwise, it is safer to book a room near the airport on your first night or we can help you arrange a private professional driver.
Last night in Costa Rica:
To drive directly to the SJO airport on the same day as your departing flight, you will need an afternoon or evening departing flight. For early morning departing flights, it is necessary to stay your last night near the airport.
Please email us before booking if we are your first and/or last destination in Costa Rica.
Four of our 8 organic form hot springs pools and a natural cool spring pool are located in the rainforest, and 4 hot springs pools as well as 2 cool natural spring swimming pools, are located in a meadow, surrounded by rainforest. Casita guests enjoy 24 hour hot springs pools and 35 acres of rainforest access at no charge.
We enjoy interacting with our guests and making suggestions for and even help book activities in the area, as well as options for transportation. For personal interaction, we take our cues from our guests -- if they prefer privacy, we respect that; if they enjoy interaction, we are open to interaction and have met many delightful new friends in this way.
We are off the beaten tourist track, in a rural community of rainforest, dairy farms and orchards, yet only a 45 minute drive to We are a 45 minute drive from the many activities in Fortuna and Volcano Arenal -- such as ziplines, hanging bridges, white water rafting, slow river floats or kayaking through wildlife sanctuaries -- or an hour drive from the less trodden cloud forest of Juan Castro Blanco National Park, with wonderful bird watching, including the Resplendent Quetzal. To see Quetzals, the best season is Feb to early May.
Excellent stay at the Rainforest Casita. Location & surrounding's are beautiful and peaceful (a lot of birds to see just from the balcony!) The casita is comfortable with character and excellent amenities, kitchen, large, modern bathroom, AC in bedroom and large balcony.
Owners were not present when we stayed but the manager was very helpful, friendly & professional. Communication to help before and during the stay was excellent & full of useful details.
An excellent place to stay either to relax or as a base to explore the North at a very reasonable price for the quality of the offering.
I give a five star rating regarding my experience. I was quite ill with a toothache following some dental surgery. Kathy went out of her way to take care of me. The soak in the hot springs water on the property was wonderful. I wouldn't have asked for a more kind and caring person. The property is beautiful!
It is safe to say that Kathy made our entire Costa Rican vacation a dream vacation - even the days that we were not at Bio Thermale Hot springs were planned with her help :). She guided us on where to go and where to stay and every one of her recommendations was perfect. Talk about a gracious host?
As to Bio Thermales Hot spring, the Casitas are quaint, exotic, comfortable, handmade (by Bernie!) marvels, and the hot springs are just sublime gifts of nature, perfectly cultivated by Bio Thermales. It is a little bit away from the action at la Fortuna which for us was a good thing, We even bought fresh eggs (from their own hens) , tilapia (from their fish farm), and fresh milk from an adjacent milk farm. Plus Kathy and Bernie's lovable dog Peppy was a big hit with the kids.
Needless to say, we will do everything possible to come back.
This is the final rate, including any fees from the host and Airbnb.