About This Listing
This bright and airy first floor 2 bed apartment boasts a large open open plan living/dining area plus fully fitted kitchen, 2 bedrooms and shower room whilst outside is a private south facing patio. Strolling distance to all amenities.
A stone's throw from all amenities so you can just park your car or hop off the bus and relax! Equally, being so central, it is a great base for touring the south of Ireland.
Entire apartment and patio for private use.
Interaction with Guests
Guests are always greeted on arrival where possible. And help is on hand for any queries throughout the stay.
Everything on your doorstep - whether it is traditional pubs, fishing, golf, historic sites - all within walking distance. Very central for touring the south of Ireland being only 2 hours or less from major cities of Cork, Shannon, Dublin. A mere 10-15 minute drive from medieval Kilkenny city.
Very good public transport - airport bus to and from Dublin Airport. Buses also to Kilkenny until late, Dublin, Cork, Waterford etc.
Major roads two minutes away link to Kilkenny, Dublin, Cork, Clonmel, Cahir, Shannon.
Other Things to Note
ONE NIGHT STAYS are accepted but subject to a supplement of 35 EURO to cover changeover costs. This can be paid on arrival or included in the quote. When requesting a one night booking please indicate how you would like to pay for this.
Electricity is payable via a pay-as-you-go card meter which can be topped up in local outlets including the shop opposite (normal closing time 9pm). So you only pay for what you actually use - no hidden costs!
No smoking inside please.
It was a cosy and neat apartment. Will definitely come back later next time. Thanks
Had a very quick visit at Davids Apartment, but enjoyed very much. We arrived very late at night and he was waiting for us for many hours, he was pleasant and happy to show us everything. Enjoyed the pubs at the area/ nice atmosphere!!
Would def go back again.
The only negative is that i wasn't informed that we wouldn't have towels etc. but I guess that's happening when u rent a flat.
Thanks a lot!
We would like to thank David for his casual and relaxed welcome when we met outside his apartment in Callan and for accommodating our early afternoon check in.
Unfortunately it pretty much went down hill from there. Travelling from Canada and arriving in the village on a cold day to find the price we paid (212 euro for 2 nights) plus AirBnB fees did not cover the basics such as heat and electricity was not exactly the warm welcome we expected!
Upon arrival we discussed the extra cost charged by AirBnB and acknowledged that it was totally out of his hands and something we should discuss further with AirBnB, if we felt necessary.
David mentioned a meter card....something I had never heard of before and had no awareness it meant we would have to pay extra if we wanted heating and electricity! When we arrived the apartment was extremely cold and David explained that he had put 20 euro into the meter earlier in the day and that had been eaten up by the idle running cost of the system and that we had to top up the meter card at the filling station across the road. We proceeded to do so by adding another 20 euro shortly after our arrival.
We did not cook in the apartment and were very careful about our use of electricity for both heating and lights by turning off everything when not needed and when we went out. We were away all of the next day and upon our return around 5 p.m. we discovered we had only a few euros left on the meter and the filling station was closed. The frustration we were experiencing was further exacerbated when the meter alarm went off during the night "informing us" we were about to be left in the cold and dark!! Not wanting to disturb our hosts during the night we attempted to make contract with David and Maria in the morning, at the contact numbers they gave us, to inquire where else in the village we could top up the meter, but got no response........in fact we never heard from David or his wife again!! We were able to do a top up in the morning when the filling station eventually opened at 10 a.m.
Overall not a pleasant experience. For what you get this apartment is expensive and cold with no creature comforts.. sparsely equipped kitchen..no cleaning supplies..no coffee pot and few if any coffee shops open in the village. No towels....David indicated he was busy with family and other properties and couldn't be washing/drying towels for (website hidden) didn't work....thankfully, since that too would have caused the electricity to run out even sooner.
I have used AirBnB before and had wonderful experiences in several countries but this has to have been the worst!
Accommodation aside we had a lovely visit to the area and will likely return but most definitely not to this apartment in the heart of Historic Town!!
Thank you for your comments. We are always pleased to accommodate our guests with an earlier check in if at all possible and were able to do so in this case allowing check in 3 hours earlier than normal. To address the other points one by one:
1. Price. The price was clearly stated at enquiry stage and worked out at just 26 EURO per person per night including New Year's Eve night - less than the price of the most basic hostel !!!! The guest had the choice of either accepting or declining yet, despite this, she disputed the price upon arrival and continued to do so via an onslaught of text messages that day and following day (New Year's Eve) which were all answered by return. She even suggested doing a "cash deal" outside of Airbnb so she could pay less!
2. Electricity. It is clearly stated in the listing that electricity is paid via a card meter which is fair to everyone because the guest only pays for what is used. Upon arrival it was in credit and it was clearly explained about topping up the card - the nearest top up point being 15 metres across the road but can also be done online or via a phone call. It was also pointed out that the shop opposite would close early on New Year's Eve at 6pm (normally 9pm) and would reopen later than usual at 10am on New Year's Day. Additionally the shop had huge signs everywhere stating the opening times for New Year's Eve/Day. I fail to understand how, if true, 20 EURO could have been used up in two days - we have many one week bookings who do not use that much!!!!!
3. Communication. After check in we were in touch via text messages back and forth during their entire stay, my last reply being at 4pm on New Year's Eve. ALL were regarding the price they had paid! Every text they sent was answered in full so not sure where the "lack of communication" mentioned came from! Our last contact from them was a missed call at 9.50am on New Year's Day (their departure day) asking when the shop would open because they wanted to top up the electricity (check out is at 10am - the time the shop opened - which they would have known anyway!!!)
4. Coffee shops - there are 4 coffee shops in Callan, none of which would be open on New Year's Day!
5. Towels - again it is clearly stated that these are not provided (to keep the price competitive for our guests). However, if specifically requested prior to arrival, we will (and have in the past) provide them if it is not possible for guests to bring their (website hidden) - TV works! And nothing was mentioned to us during their stay.
Stayed in David's apartment for only one night enroute to another location And wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.
Very spacious upstairs flat with fantastic amentities - very modern well equipped kitchen, nice bathroom and great outdoor area. Great location with a petrol station just across the road and a big supermarket 2 mins walk at the end of the street. Great base for exploring Kilkenny town and district. David was a warm and friendly host - we had a great 2 nights stay. Many thanks
This host has 25 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews