About This Listing
Feel like you're living in HK with an expat lifestyle...
I'm an Aussie professional who understands the most fun travelling is meeting people. Happy for you to join me heading out and see what HK is about.
Comfy room, excellent location and everything that you may need.
Welcome to my home. I've specifically chosen the apartment and arranged it like any Aussie would. There is a communal rooftop (which no one else uses and hence is basically private).
- INCREDIBLY CONVENIENT LOCATION. I guess you've read other ads so won't go into detail. MTR 100m, Tram 100m, Buses. Best thing is Wan Chai market basically downstairs. If you crave a home cooked meal you can't go wrong. And I'm on the quiet side of Wan Chai. None of the noise, dodginess and shenanigans of Lockhart Rd (although its good for a drink every now and then... seriously, just a drink). Hennessy Rd has heaps of buses all times of day and night. China visa office 10 min walk away. Quiet street off the main road...
- WHY WAN CHAI AND NOT CENTRAL? You get a more local and "real" perspective of Hong Kong. More of a residential feel compared to the office buildings of central. But you are still only two MTR stops away and can get anywhere in HK very easily and quickly.
- ROOFTOP... Yes it's communal but no one uses it. I'm on the top level so no additional stairs required. Just move the outdoor furniture in/out each time you use it. Great for a BBQ (I have a portable Weber) which you are more than welcome to use. Perfect for a cigarette/cigar if that's you. Fantastic open view to Happy Valley. I really enjoy just chilling out in my own secluded space... you too will appreciate it given how dense and crowded HK can be.
- WESTERN BATHROOM (separate toilet and shower). None of this shower over the toilet chinese inconvenient stuff... Instantaneous gas hot water. One bathroom so I will be sharing it with you.
- BED... Private room with a full double bed (HK size so 137cm x 190cm). It's a soft comfy mattress. Definitely not rock hard chinese style. Plenty of closet space. Air con, sheets, towels etc as you would expect
It is an older apartment building but inside is really well maintained. You will feel very comfortable. Elevator... thank god it's not a walk up.
You get access to everything that an expat in HK would need to live.
- MY LOCAL KNOWLEDGE... the best cantonese roast meats, wanton noodles, local chinese cafes, dim sum, walks, bakery, vegetarian restaurant, dumplings, local non dodgy thai massage places... all within walking distance. And the coolest nightspots and hip restaurants around LKF and Wan Chai and elsewhere.
- KITCHEN, COOKING, BBQ. And with Wan Chai market literally downstairs you can buy whatever you need if you crave a home cooked meal. Of course stuff like oil, salt, pepper, soy etc are good for you to use. Fridge, microwave, 2 gas burners, kettle... and all the other the usual kitchen gear.
- UNLIMITED INTERNET AND WIFI (1,000 mpbs which is the fastest you can get in residential homes).
- PHONE... if I'm around you're welcome to make local calls using my mobile.
- CABLE TV... On demand movies, English Premier League, La Liga and heaps more. And a 42 inch LED TV to watch it on.
- MAID once a week. But arranged more often as guests come and go. She is wonderful and irons as well (depending on timing of your visit of course) but you can use the iron if you really have the urge.
- LAUNDRY washing machine. Same deal... maid can do it if timing suits.
- BEDDING Standard bed linen, towels, hair dryer, dehumidifier etc.
Of course my room is mine... your room will be yours. Standard housemate type arrangement with everything else :) Hope you get the sense from my writing style that I'm pretty relaxed about stuff.
Interaction with Guests
I'm social, loving life in a new city and meeting cool, interesting people. Totally respect that everyone is individual and has their unique preferences.
I'll make every effort to be around when you first arrive. But sometimes it will be necessary for me to tell you where I leave my spare key. More than welcome to call/sms/whatsapp me anytime. I won't respond if I'm sleeping :)
I'm used to an active, social lifestyle so there will be periods of time where I'm hardly at home. But to keep sane I'll have my evenings or days on the weekend just bumming on the couch at home.
The authenticity of HK but with the central location and quiet.
It's in a quiet area but incredibly convenient. Lockhart Rd has plenty of nightlife... Hennessy Rd and Gloucester Rd have plenty of traffic and buses. Where I am is quiet so you can rest easily. But downstairs there's plenty to keep you occupied with Wan Chai market and only a short walk to the MTR which gets you everywhere.
Very close to public transport... 100 metres (yes that's right) to Wan Chai MTR. Less to buses and the tram. You can access everywhere quickly through MTR. I have octopus cards (public transport cards) available for guests to you. All you need to do is add credit. No need to worry about obtaining a card of your own and putting a deposit down.
Other Things to Note
Check in/out really flexible. All dependent upon guests before/after. But I'm happy for you to leave your stuff around depending on when you're shipping out.
Eddies apartment is perfectly located to explore Hong Kong. It's situated in a vibrant, exciting area but is also really quiet as it is on the 23rd floor. The building has a doorman and Wan Chai is very safe. Eddie is friendly, welcoming and helpful. The apartment is small but clean, tidy and well equipped. Highly recommended - I would definitely stay here again! Thanks Eddie!
Eddie was a great host. He sent us an 8-page guide on the best restaurants in the area and how to get around, which proved to be invaluable. The description and photographs of the apartment on Eddie's airbnb page were accurate and the apartment, small by ordinary standards but average by Hong Kong standards, was well kept and clean. Eddie also provided for towels and a hair dryer, which we really appreciated. My friend and I loved the Wan Chai area, which was close to a local market and had loads of stores around to grab necessities at. Wan Chai is also close to several other locations, being 2 MTR stops from Central and 2 MTR stop from Causeway Bay. Tsim Sha Tsui and Kowloon weren't too far away, too.
All in all, great apartment, great location, would recommend. Would return, too.
We had a wonderful experience staying in Wan Chai with Eddie. Even though we flew in late, Eddie did a great job of accommodating us and we felt right at home. It is a wonderful location, close to the train and it's amazing how much you can do with 36 hrs in HK with a fantastic location to have as a home base.
Thanks so much Eddie for your wonderful hospitality.
Kim & Shaun
(Calgary, Alberta, Canada)
Eddie is a real pro when it comes to hosting. The apartment was exactly as advertised. Eddie made getting in and getting out really easy and provided a guide, which included tips on food and entertainment in the region.
Room was comfortable. A/C was cold. Showers were hot. Everything I needed.
Wan Chai is a high energy part of town and there's a lot to do in every direction.
extremely warm welcome by Eddie and his lovely family.
Continuous attention and very good tips for the Fusion restaurant.
Correct description of the place but probably too rustic for my taste.
No A/C and can be noisy in the morning as other houses are a couple of meters away.
Bathroom very basic and no place to hang or store any clothes.
more of a backpacking place but extremely nice hosts.
I must say for 5 days break in hongkong this has been an ideal place for me and my partner. The bedroom is fairly a good size, the bathroom also. It is clean throughout the flat and well presented. Eddie was amazing to us, he was friendly, polite and very helpful, anything you needed he was willing to help. What topped it for us was the great location, it was literally only a little walk from wan chai station, which took us everywhere we needed to go & it was convenient also. There were also many shops & restaurant you can eat nearby. Overall I had a pleasant stay!
About the Host, Eddie
Active, social and always up for meeting new people. I'm welcoming people to my home so that they have just as good a time in HK as I do. Its all about meeting people and experiencing what life is like in a different city.
Of course totally respect individuals unique preferences so let me know.