Beautiful, cozy 300 year old cottage right on the sea for that special get away.
Idyllic Irish cottage on Galway Bay, the real Ireland near beautiful villages with great food and music
An entire Irish thatched cottage just for you.
Imagine yourself right on the sea, in a real traditional Irish cottage just 20 minutes from Galway city. This award winning home in a nationally protected heritage area has gentle green fields either side and a perfect blue-green bay in front. You'll love the hand-made bed in the master bedroom, the cozy loft, Irish stove, thick walls and books by Yeats and Joyce on the shelves.
We provide everything for your visit: fresh towels, linen, crockery, hair dryer, maps, even a bicycle.
Every glance out the window is a stunning vista of changing skies. The Burren hills, the oyster-catchers in their boats, the farmers passing and the empty castle across the bay fills the scene. That castle is another story, of the fight for a new Ireland, and a history to discover.
'Little slice of heaven' - Tripadvisor review
Just a short drive from vibrant and fun loving Galway City with main transport links to Shannon and Dublin, this award winning idyll, with modern conveniences, is just 1.5k to gorgeous Clarinbridge village, home of the oyster festival and welcoming restaurants and pubs. There's shopping there too with the top rated Meadows and Byrne, an antique shop you could spend hours wandering through and best coffee shops for miles around.
It's easy distance to Galway Golf club, and Burren National Park for world-class hiking. But you don't have to go far: There's fantastic seafood in local restaurants; great Guiness, traditional music in the pubs and lovely walks & cycling from your door.
“Perfect A++ , enjoyed every minute, beautiful location” - Tripadvisor review.
A real turf stove to warm yourself, wooden floors, a cozy hand-made Quaker kitchen and comfy beds; a master bedroom looking out to the sea and a pretty little loft reached by a set of stairs. Everything you need is supplied and Irish cook books to make not just bacon and cabbage.
Cave is available for only certain parts of the year so book early to avoid disappointment. There aren't many genuine thatched cottages left in Ireland you can rent; most are recently built or are taken over by heritage groups. We are proud of the cottage and we hope you enjoy it.
Enjoy your getaway.
NOTE: The map shows the cottage somewhat off the Bay. It is actually ON the bay. This is a thing with AirBNB.
Nearest Airport : Shannon at 90 Kilometres
Nearest City: Galway 12km approx
Nearest Ferry : Doolin to Aran Islands at 50 Kilometres
Nearest Train : Galway City at 12 Kilometres
Nearest Motorway : Galway to Dublin at 3 Kilometres
Nearest Bar/pub : Paddy Burkes Oyster Tavern at 2 Kilometres
Nearest Golf : Galway Golf Club at 9 Kilometres
Nearest Restaurant : Paddy Burkes, Goats Lane, 2km, Moran's of The Weir, Basilico at 3 Kilometres
What's it feel like? A million miles from care. This is where you really unwind and feel at home. But you want to get out, don't you? Explore. There is plenty to do nearby. The cute fishing village of Kinvara is 30 mins away by the amazing Burren home - great for hiking and exploring. There are festivals year-round; Galway Arts Festival, Cuirt and Galway Races. Golf and fishing all around the coast and out to the Aran Islands will tempt sportsmen. The bay is a calm sea with gentle tides lapping right in front of the cottage (3 metres from gate). You can swim right outside the cottage. Galway City is your charming with it's quaint cobblestone streets, traditional music, superb night-life and haute cuisine. Cave cottage is your retreat: Your neighbours are farmers and fisherman, your views are the sea and the mountains, your friends are yet to be made .
"amazing little thatch cottage right on the sea front...highly recommend this" - AirBnB
Number 1 Rule: If you find an issue on arrival you must contact us while you are there - not after. Sometimes things happen and when it does we will all work to fix it. We will endeavour to resolve your issue within 24 hours or less. We have a housekeeper on hand as well as other support so please email and call.
You will receive an email with info on how to operate the heating, light the turf stove, recycling info etc.
We do ask that you leave the cottage as you found it. You don't have to wash the sheets or anything - just a general clean up is fine. Instructions are in the cottage.
And now for the small print:
SHORT TERM RENTAL AGREEMENT
Cave Cottage and You, the renter.
You agree to the terms of this agreement when you enter into a contract by paying a deposit or otherwise with the owners
Terms of the Agreement:
1. The Landlord have the right to inspect the premises without prior notice at any time to enforce the terms of this agreement. Should the Tenants violate any of the terms of this agreement, the rental period shall be terminated immediately. The Tenants waive all rights to process if they fail to vacate the premises upon termination of the rental period. The Tenants shall vacate the premises at the expiration time and date of this agreement.
2. There is no telephone or internet access. Please make your own communications arrangements.
3. The Tenants shall maintain the premises in a good, clean, and ready to rent condition, and use the premises only in a careful and lawful manner. The tenants shall leave the premises in a ready to rent condition at the expiration of the rental agreement, defined by the Landlord as being immediately habitable by the next tenants. Tenants shall pay for maintenance and repairs should the premises be left in a lesser condition. The tenants agree that the Landlord shall deduct costs of said services from the security deposit prior to refund if tenants cause damage to the premises or its furnishings.
4. The Tenants shall dispose of all waste material generated during the rental period in a lawful manner and put the trash in the bins along the curb during their stay for pickup. Tenant is cautioned not to leave trash outside for long periods of time because it attracts animals.
5. The Tenants shall pay for any damage done to the premises over and above normal wear and tear.
6. No animals or pets of any kind will be brought onto the premises.
7. The Tenants shall not sublet the property.
8. The Tenants shall have no more than 8 (eight) persons reside or sleep on the premises.
9. The Tenants shall behave in a civilized manner and shall be good neighbors respecting the rights of the surrounding property owners. The Tenants shall not create noise or disturbances likely to disturb or annoy the surrounding property owners. Creating a disturbance of the above nature shall be grounds for immediate termination of this agreement and Tenants shall then immediately vacate the premises. Quiet hour starts at 10 PM and Pool and outdoor noise should be kept to a minimum.
10. There shall be no smoking inside the premises. Smoking is permitted outside the home.
12. Landlord shall provide towels, linens, cups, knives, forks, spoons, dishes, and other items as commonly used by the Landlord’s family. Toilet paper, soap, dish detergent, laundry soap, shampoos, and other consumables are to be purchased by the Tennant. No reimbursement will be made for unused consumables left at the premises. If consumables exist at the premises when the Tenant arrives the Tenant is free to use them...
13. The Tenants and Tenants' Guests shall hereby indemnify and hold harmless the Landlord against any and all claims of personal injury or property damage or loss arising from use of the premises regardless of the nature of the accident, injury or loss. Tenants expressly recognize that any insurance for property damage or loss which the Landlord may maintain on the property does not cover the personal property of Tenants, and that Tenants should purchase their own insurance for Tenants and Guests if such coverage is desired.
14. Rental Deposit amount is fully refundable up to 6 (six) weeks prior to the beginning of the rental period. After six weeks prior to the rental period the Landlord shall have the right to retain the initial Rental Deposit at the Landlord' discretion.
15. Tenants agree to pay all reasonable costs, attorney's fees and expenses that shall be made or incurred by Landlord enforcing this agreement.
16. Tenants expressly acknowledge and agree that this Agreement is for transient occupancy of the Property, and that Tenants do not intend to make the property a residence or household.
17. We occasionally experience outages that are beyond our control. We report outages as each occurs. No refunds or compensation will be given for any outages.
18. There shall be no refunds of rents due to shortened stays or ruined expectations because of weather conditions.
19. If the property should go on the MARKET FOR SALE, it may be shown to qualified buyers during the Tenants’ stay. Every effort will be made to schedule the showing at a convenient time and not interrupt the Tenant’s vacation. Tenant shall allow reasonable viewings of the home between 9 am and 8 PM present or not.
20. There shall be no refunds of rents because of shortened stays or ruined expectations due to work and family emergencies or other commitments.
21. It is the tenant’s responsibility to learn about safety precautions, warning signs of water conditions, and safety procedures concerning swimming in or being around the sea. Tenant agrees to have a responsible adult supervising minors while they swim in the sea. Tenant is hereby notified that the sea can be dangerous and tenant accepts fully the risks involved. Tenant is further notified to be cautious when exiting the home as the sea is open and in close proximity to the entry ways and can be a hazard. There are no rails to prevent a fall into the sea.
22. Place of Heritage. Cave cottage is a thatched cottage and in a rural environment close to animals such as cows, sheep, badgers, foxes, mice etc. While we endeavour to ensure that the cottage is free of vermin, leaving any window or door open has the potential to permit entry to mice.Tenant agrees to keep windows and doors closed especially when leaving the premises vacant at any period. In the event that you suspect that a mouse has entered the premises, let us know immediately and we will remedy the situation.
23. Tenant agrees that Fireworks and other hazardous materials shall not be used in or around the property.
24. Tenant shall use the property for legal purposes only and other use, such as but not limited to, illegal drug use, abuse of any person, harboring fugitives, etc. ; shall cause termination of this agreement with no refund of rents or deposits.
25. Tenant agrees not to access the “owner’s closet”, even if unlocked, which contains cleaning supplies and chemicals that could be hazardous to children and adults. The owners closet is located just inside the main front entry way.
26. Tenant is advised that the property contains a gas stove and cook top, gas heating, gas grill, and other gas powered items and will seek help from management if the proper operation of such items is not fully understood.
27. The property has a fire extinguisher installed near the kitchen area. The fire extinguisher was fully charged at last inspection. It is the duty of the tenant to inform management immediately should the fire extinguisher become less than fully charged. Tenant agrees to use the fire extinguisher only for true emergencies.
28. The property has fire alarms installed and they are believed to function properly at the time of rental. Tennant will notify management without delay if a fire alarm “chirps” or has a low battery condition.
29. Tennant is advised that there is no carbon monoxide detector on the property and accepts the risk involved in not having one.
30. Tenant shall see to their own security while in the property by locking doors, windows, garage doors, etc. when it’s prudent to do so.
31. Valuable items left behind by tenant will be held for the tenant and every reasonable effort will be made to contact the tenant for return. If items are not claimed for longer than 6 months they shall become the property of the Landlord. The Landlord shall not be help liable for condition of said items.
32. In the event of any issue while at the cottage, tenant agrees to contact owners while tenant still at the cottage and inform them of the issue so that owner can address it.
The reservation was canceled 49 days before arrival. This is an automated posting.
We had a brilliant stay on Galway Bay. A great place to stage various day trips in the west of Ireland. The cottage was charming and worked perfectly for our family of four. It was a treat getting to know Margaret who tends to the house and lives just a few doors down. Not sure if it mentioned it in the listing, but there is a washer dryer. Ohhh, and have fun looking for rocks with shell fossils in the stone fences and down by the bay.
Picture-perfect seaside cottage conveniently located just outside Galway. Our toddler loved sleeping in the upstairs loft right out of a storybook and watching the friendly cows in the neighbors yard. The hosts are easily accessible and instantly respond to questions or concerns.
The Cave Cottage was exactly the spot we were after. It was peaceful, cosy, and of course, stereotypically Irish.
From the moment we walked through the door, we didn't want to leave. We got the fire going, cooked some dinner, and opened a bottle of wine or two... it was just bliss.
Although we cooked for the majority of time we were there, we also took a trip to the Poppy Seed Cafe, to touch base with reality, and technology (as they have wifi!). It was a great spot.. and their scones are to die for!
We also took a (somewhat lengthy) drive to the Cliffs of Moher. The weather wasn't exactly on our side, but the views were incredible. After our windswept and soggy day trip, we were all the more grateful for getting back to our idyllic, toasty little cottage.
I can't recommend this place enough. The Cave offers a very real traditional experience. It's surroundings are stunningly beautiful, and whether you are there in rain or shine, you will fall in love with it's warmth and charm.
Suffice to say, we will be back.
Colm's cottage was probably the nicest place we ever stayed at! The cottage has so much charm, character, and atmosphere. It's nicely furnished and very cosy. We stayed three stormy, but yet perfectly relaxing days - thanks to the fireplace, but also thanks to Colm, his caring family and the very friendly neighbours. We were told that we witnessed the highest tide in 25 years (or was it 50 years?!) - the water came up to the house, but we and the cottage stayed dry, so everything was fine. Colm made sure we had everything we needed: drinks, flowers, chocolate, and coal for the fireplace (in addition to the central heating). In the end we got a lift back to Galway - great! We will definitely come back and have already been checking flights for the next stay. Thanks Colm and cave cottage!
I'm a writer living in London with one foot in fiction and the other in technology. I'm not the only writer who has set one of their plays in the cottage - many writers and artists come to Cave for the light, the atmosphere and to be somewhere special. More here (website hidden)_Byrne
I'm originally from Limerick but have lived all over the world, spending most of my time in San Francisco, New York and Los Angeles.
Like every Irish emigrant I always wanted my own piece of ireland. I searched for years. Every trip home included a look in the papers, a drive around the For Sale signs. When i first heard of Cave, I was told 13 children were last reared in it. Being one of 9 brought up in Limerick, I felt an immediate closeness to the rough hewn walls, the small rooms, the square-cut windows and the openness of the sea. We put in a bid and after a long back and forth - lost.A rich musician had outbid us at every step.
I met Bridie, one of the women who was brought up in the house and she told me tales from the war of independence, a love tale and another about the 'little folk' who used to knock on the back door. It was heart breaking to let it go. Then we got a call a month later - it was back on the market. The national heritage status prevented the building of a studio. The owner came to us and said he wanted us to have it.
After careful refurbishment, Bridie came in and had a look around. She was quiet for a moment, then said. 'It has the same feel'. She couldn't tell whether thew floorboards we put down, though a century old themselves, were there before or not. It was a success. 'It was always a place of music' she said 'and the door was always open'. We rebuilt the half-door so that you can keep it open too.