About this listing
Cute 1950's house with peaceful zen garden and meditation/fitness room available for 30 day or more rentals. Parking requirements set by the City of San Luis Obispo don't allow me to rent for less than 30 days.
Excellent location is within easy walking distance to historic downtown San Luis Obispo (8 blocks), train station (4 blocks), restaurants (4 blocks), bike/running trail (4 blocks) and hiking trails (6 blocks). Plenty of additional hiking, biking, beautiful beaches and wine tasting opportunities are all within a 12 mile radius. For a video that captures a visit to our beautiful Central Coast perfectly, enter SecretsofSLO in the search field on YouTube.
The two-bedroom house is very homey with hardwood floors throughout. The kitchen is fully stocked with plenty of dishes and equipment for preparing home cooked meals and goodies. An R.O. unit provides filtered water for drinking and cooking. There is also a laundry room with a washer and dryer.
There are several fruit trees in the front yard that you can help yourself to if you happen to be here while the fruit is ripe. There are usually oranges year-round (think fresh-squeezed juice for breakfast). The plums and peaches are ready for picking in June/July and are delicious!
The backyard has a patio area with a table for outdoor dining in a private and peaceful setting next to a small pond. I normally have some tomato plants and assorted greens growing in raised bed throughout the summer that you are welcome to help yourself to. Then step through the arbor into a shady secret garden area with a meditation fountain, bench, lanterns and a small bistro table where it's heaven just to sit and have a glass of wine while you listen to the bubbling water.
Our resident cat, Lucy, comes with the house. She is a little shy at first, but she is a sweet, affectionate kitty once she warms up. She comes and goes through her cat doors.
The 10% transient occupancy tax collected by the City of San Luis Obispo has been added to the nightly rate, so the actual nightly rental rate is (phone number hidden) TOT = $150.00/night.
I want to add a few small disclaimers here so as not to mislead anyone:
1. While there are two bedrooms in the house, ideally the house accommodates a maximum of two because A.) there is only one smallish bathroom, and B.) there is only one "real" bed, which is a queen bed in the main bedroom. The second bedroom has a surprisingly comfortable queen air mattress that can be set up but that takes up pretty much all of the floor space in the room once it is inflated. The second bedroom also has a not-terribly-comfortable futon (approx. full size) if preferred.
2. There is and 24" HDTV and DVD player in the main bedroom for watching movies. There is currently no cable or satellite service although I do have a Roku box which is set up to receive streaming from Netflix, Amazon Prime, Crackle, etc. I also get four local TV stations via an HD antenna. I have a few DVD movies in the house to choose from, and there are Redbox DVD rentals available at Albertsons, etc. I also have HDMI and DVI cables available so that you can connect your laptop to the HDTV in the main bedroom and watch streaming movies from any personal accounts you may subscribe to.
3. There is no dishwasher - other than you ;-)
4. The treadmill in the fitness room photos is on the fritz, so that is temporarily not one of the amenities of the house.
Guests have full access to all rooms in the house as well as the front and back yards. The garage is full of my stuff and that's the only off-limits area.
Interaction with Guests
I like to be at the house when guests arrive so that I can introduce them to Lucy and answer any questions. I normally won't return, unless it is to put the trash out on Thursday night. But I am available any time by phone, text, or email if questions come up.
The neighborhood is a mix of modest to upscale homes. It's a pleasant, quiet neighborhood with a nice mixture of families, professional couples, retirees, and students. The location is ideal, in my opinion -- close enough to downtown to walk, but far enough away that you leave the traffic and hustle and bustle behind.
The house is within easy walking distance of shopping and restaurants. Downtown SLO is just 8 blocks away.
The vast majority of guests have been wonderful, and I consider myself lucky to have had only one guest that made me feel there was even a need to list the following rules.
1. No smoking on the premises. Sorry, but this includes the front and back yards as well as inside the house since I've learned that the smoke from outside can drift in through open doors and windows.
2. No pets on the premises, including the front and back yards. I love all animals, but Lucy is very afraid of dogs and even other cats.
3. No more than four guests in the house at any time. Or in other words, no parties, bachelor or otherwise. Because this is a quiet neighborhood it is only suitable for quieter groups. Please make sure you are comfortable with the idea of peace and quiet before making a reservation request.
4. No loud noise after 10:00 p.m.
I hope you will stay in my house with the expectation of enjoying it's serene atmosphere. Thank you in advance for respecting the house and neighborhood as if they were your own.