About this listing
Cute 1950's house with peaceful zen garden and meditation/fitness room.
Excellent location is within easy walking distance to historic downtown San Luis Obispo (8 blocks), train station (4 blocks), restaurants (4 blocks), bike/running trail (4 blocks) and hiking trails (6 blocks). Plenty of additional hiking, biking, beautiful beaches and wine tasting opportunities are all within a 12 mile radius. For a video that captures a visit to our beautiful Central Coast perfectly, enter SecretsofSLO in the search field on YouTube.
The two-bedroom house is very homey with hardwood floors throughout. The kitchen is fully stocked with plenty of dishes and equipment for preparing home cooked meals and goodies. An R.O. unit provides filtered water for drinking and cooking. There is also a laundry room with a washer and dryer.
There are several fruit trees in the front yard that you can help yourself to if you happen to be here while the fruit is ripe. There are usually oranges year-round (think fresh-squeezed juice for breakfast). The plums and peaches are ready for picking in June/July and are delicious!
The backyard has a patio area with a table for outdoor dining in a private and peaceful setting next to a small pond. I normally have some tomato plants and assorted greens growing in raised bed throughout the summer that you are welcome to help yourself to. Then step through the arbor into a shady secret garden area with a meditation fountain, bench, lanterns and a small bistro table where it's heaven just to sit and have a glass of wine while you listen to the bubbling water.
Our resident cat, Lucy, comes with the house. She is a little shy at first, but she is a sweet, affectionate kitty once she warms up. She comes and goes through her cat doors.
The 10% transient occupancy tax collected by the City of San Luis Obispo has been added to the nightly rate, so the actual nightly rental rate is $136.36 + $13.64 TOT = $150.00/night.
I want to add a few small disclaimers here so as not to mislead anyone:
1. While there are two bedrooms in the house, ideally the house accommodates a maximum of two because A.) there is only one smallish bathroom, and B.) there is only one "real" bed, which is a queen bed in the main bedroom. The second bedroom has a surprisingly comfortable queen air mattress that can be set up but that takes up pretty much all of the floor space in the room once it is inflated. The second bedroom also has a not-terribly-comfortable futon (approx. full size) if preferred.
2. There is and 24" HDTV and DVD player in the main bedroom for watching movies. There is currently no cable or satellite service although I do have a Roku box which is set up to receive streaming from Netflix, Amazon Prime, Crackle, etc. I also get four local TV stations via an HD antenna. I have a few DVD movies in the house to choose from, and there are Redbox DVD rentals available at Albertsons, etc. I also have HDMI and DVI cables available so that you can connect your laptop to the HDTV in the main bedroom and watch streaming movies from any personal accounts you may subscribe to.
3. There is no dishwasher - other than you ;-)
4. The treadmill in the fitness room photos is on the fritz, so that is temporarily not one of the amenities of the house.
Guests have full access to all rooms in the house as well as the front and back yards. The garage is full of my stuff and that's the only off-limits area.
Interaction with Guests
I like to be at the house when guests arrive so that I can introduce them to Lucy and answer any questions. I normally won't return, unless it is to put the trash out on Thursday night. But I am available any time by phone, text, or email if questions come up.
The neighborhood is a mix of modest to upscale homes. It's a pleasant, quiet neighborhood with a nice mixture of families, professional couples, retirees, and students. The location is ideal, in my opinion -- close enough to downtown to walk, but far enough away that you leave the traffic and hustle and bustle behind.
The house is within easy walking distance of shopping and restaurants. Downtown SLO is just 8 blocks away.
The vast majority of guests have been wonderful, and I consider myself lucky to have had only one guest that made me feel there was even a need to list the following rules.
1. No smoking on the premises. Sorry, but this includes the front and back yards as well as inside the house since I've learned that the smoke from outside can drift in through open doors and windows.
2. No pets on the premises, including the front and back yards. I love all animals, but Lucy is very afraid of dogs and even other cats.
3. No more than four guests in the house at any time. Or in other words, no parties, bachelor or otherwise. Because this is a quiet neighborhood it is only suitable for quieter groups. Please make sure you are comfortable with the idea of peace and quiet before making a reservation request.
4. No loud noise after 10:00 p.m.
I hope you will stay in my house with the expectation of enjoying it's serene atmosphere. Thank you in advance for respecting the house and neighborhood as if they were your own.
We really enjoyed our peaceful time here. The neighborhood was very nice. We walked into downtown SLO every day. The backyard was wonderful and we already miss Lucy, the cat. We hope to come back next year and stay longer.
Very peaceful and quiet. Close to downtown. Very nice backyard. Lia was very responsive, welcoming and helpful! Great for a couple or a small family.
We had a great time at Lia's quaint little house. Love San Luis Obispo and the surrounding area. We also enjoyed coming back and enjoying the back patio with Lucy. It was a great birthday weekend!
The house was great! It was very clean and nicely decorated!
Lucy the cat was very friendly and fun to hang out with!
We are looking forward to coming back!
Lia provided wonderful detailed information before we arrived, and greeted us when we got there. She showed us around the house, introduced us to Lucy and made us feel very welcome. She was available by text during our visit. Lucy was a lovely addition to our visit, never obtrusive, needing nothing, but providing company when we were at the house. Lia's gift of breakfast food and beverage to get our stay off to a good start was most welcome. We thoroughly enjoyed the backyard and the fountain and the special evening lighting.
While we did not get to meet Lia, she was a wonderful host and we enjoyed our stay in her lovely home. The cottage was adorable and the perfect size for the three of us. Lucy, the cat, was there to greet us upon arrive and kept us company throughout the weekend. Lia made us feel right at home by providing us with breakfast food for our first morning and having the air mattress in the guest bedroom all set-up (it was amazingly comfortable!). We enjoyed hiking in the area and walking down town for dinner in the evenings. Such a fun place to stay for the weekend!
The home was exactly as listed. Lucy the cat was no problem for any of us. This place is CLEAN!
Would certainly stay here again.
About the Host, Lia
I was born and raised here in San Luis Obispo, and while I moved away for a few years, I couldn't stay away and I have lived in this beautiful area most of my life. I love hiking, gardening, and nature in general. I worked for many years in the computer software industry, but now enjoy a slower pace doing consulting work for small businesses.