About this listing
Fully furnished 2 bedroom apt on the 2nd floor of a private home in a residential area of Santiago, 20 mins from airport. Enjoy an optional breakfast, A/C, WIFI, cable, washing machine, stove, a driveway, back-up generator & heated water tank.
Our beautiful home is conveniently located on a hill-top in the quiet residential neighborhood of Los Altos De Rafey, Santiago (between Hoyo De Lima Industrial and the famous Zona Franca) right off of Circunvalacion Avenue.
The home is incredibly spacious and airy with lots of screened windows that let in the amazing hill-top breeze. There are two large bedrooms equipped with powerful air conditioning, large ceiling fans, Queen-sized beds, large windows and wall-to-wall closets with lots of storage space. There is also a full-sized sofa bed in the living room which can accommodate two additional guests or small children and a play-pen which can accommodate an infant or toddler. There is a full kitchen with windows, a large ceiling fan and everything you need to cook a full meal to enjoy in our beautiful dining area. There is also a wrap-around terrace which is a perfect place to lounge on our rocking chairs while taking in the cool-breeze and scenic views with a cool Presidente beer on hand.
You will be staying on the second floor which has a private entrance. Guests will have access to a private driveway, wireless internet access, local telephone calling, a washing machine, cable TV, gas cooking stove, bottled water, a microwave, coffee pot, pots and pans, blender, cooking utensils and serving set for 4, heated water tank for bathing, extra linens, extra towels and cleaning and laundry supplies.
**Bed and breakfast** We are offering an additional optional service for our clients which includes a delicious breakfast the day after your arrival or the same day of your arrival (so long as your check in is between 10 am and 5 pm). Enjoy a tasty dominican breakfast dish called "Los Tres Golpes"; a soft and delicious green plantain mash (mangú) topped with sauteed red onions and accompanied by fried white cheese, fried salami, and eggs made to order with a cup of coffee Santo Domingo!
To obtain this service please make a reservation along with your rental reservation for only $10 USD per person or $15 USD per couple. Take advantage of the opportunity to enjoy an authentic dominican dish in the comfort of your own apartment where you will be given the V.I.P. treatment since that is what you are to us!
Interaction with guests
Your booking will be done with Clarissa but upon your arrival, Gloria will ensure that your check-in and check-out run smoothly. Gloria resides in a nearby community and will be at your disposal in case of emergencies. Clarissa will also be available day or night via telephone or email if you should ever need anything.
EXTENDING YOUR STAY: If you fall in love and choose to extend your stay, simply contact me and I will do my best to accommodate you if there are no other reservations. You will be expected to pay for the additional night(s) using a major credit card via the site's resolutions tool.
The home is located in Altos de Rafey which is a quiet residential neighborhood. At the entrance of the neighborhood is a shopping center which features a Texaco gas station, taxi stand, food market, ice-cream shop, restaurant, beauty salon, and liquor store among other things. The popular Colinas Shopping Mall and Jumbo Supermarkets are only 5 minutes away and offer many international products including food items. It is also about 20-25 minutes from the Santiago International Airport and about 10 minutes from the popular Santiago monument and the bustling shopping avenue Calle del Sol which features local artisans.
Major attractions are anywhere from 15-20 minutes away and include El Centro Leon, the National Monument to the Heroes of the Restoration Era, the Aurora Cigar Factory, the Apostle Santiago Cathedral, Kaskada Park and Dream Casino to name a few. There are also major restaurants nearby such as the famous Pedro Restaurant, Camp David Ranch and El Tablon Latino, all given 4.5-5 stars on TripAdvisor.
The home is perfect for those with a vehicle but a nearby cab service, "Taxi Familial" is cheap, safe and easily accessible day or night. There is also a small deli/grocery store that delivers right to the home so long as you have Dominican pesos for your purchases.
Other things to note
WATER & ELECTRICITY OUTAGES: Given the economic state of the country, there are occasional water and electricity/power outages conducted by the municipality. However, we have both an electric generator that kicks in automatically in the event of a power outage as well as an additional water storage tank ("tinaca") in the event of a temporary water shortage.
SAFETY: Please be safe when traveling in the neighborhood or in the surrounding areas of Santiago or the rest of the country. Do not wear flashy jewelry or have expensive electronics within reach. This remains a third world country were a large percentage of the population lives in poverty. Always keep safety in mind when moving about.
TAXI, COOK, or MAID SERVICE: A trusted taxi, cook and/or maid service can be arranged for an additional fee. Fees for these services will be negotiated with, and paid directly to, the particular service provider. Please inquire with Gloria for contacts regarding these additional services but note that we are not responsible for the quality of their services.
1. NO SMOKING. No exceptions.
2. Small pets permitted only with prior notice.
3. No loud parties. This is a quiet residential area.
4. Please keep the property and all furnishings in good working order and only use appliances for their intended uses.
5. Conserve water. DO NOT leave water running when not in use in order to conserve our back-up water supply during municipal water shortages.
6. DO NOT use hairdryer or microwave during a municipal power outage. This can blow our back-up electricity generator.
7. Take all valuables with you. We (the "Owners") are not responsible for any lost or stolen items.
8. The Owner and the agents of Owner are not responsible for damage, loss, expense, and stolen claims, action or liability of any kind whatsoever, or howsoever caused including, without limitation, a claim of any kind by any member of the Guest party (including those of minor children), which arises from or relates in any way to the use or occupation of the property by the Guest, members of the Guest party or by invitees of the Guest.
9. Have fun! The DR is known for its beauty and warmth so please go explore!
Cancel up to 7 days before your trip and get a 50% refund plus service fees back.
This host has 2 reviews for other properties.View other reviews
- ME (Clarissa): a native New Yorker of Dominican descent living in Brooklyn, practicing poverty law, and completely obsessed with collecting recipe books, work-out equipment/videos and talking about the book that I've been writing in my head for over a decade (you'd be surprised at the level of detail). My incredibly patient fiance and totally fashionable teen-aged daughter are my reluctant co-conspirators through life and luckily are much, much cooler than me.
- MOM (Gloria): a wonderful New York ex-pat who lived and worked in Manhattan since the 70's and finally had the good sense to retire to the Dominican Republic and finish construction on her home in 2006. She's a seamstress by trade with a hardworking, creative and entrepreneurial spirit and is super excited to host you in her lovely home! (That's where you come in):
- YOU: a wayward traveler with your sights set on the gorgeous Caribbean island of Hispaniola, Dominican Republic, who will soon find your home-away-from-home in the vibrant and bustling Santiago! Lucky you!
Let's make this happen!