About this listing
Walk to the famous "Painted Ladies" of Alamo Square! Eat at unique neighborhood cafes and restaurants. Stay in a historic cottage which was fully remodeled with all modern features, glass and tile bathroom, soft wood floors, very comfortable beds.
This cottage is a separate building, away from the street, so it is extremely private. One hundred years ago it was a carriage house for a horse and buggy before the age of cars. It was completely re-built last year with all new materials and modern amenities. We live in the main house 20 feet away, and we are usually here to help you get settled or quickly answer any question.
The unit consists of the entire cottage, with partial views of Twin Peaks and Sutro Tower. Total size is approximately 1000 sq. ft. (92 sq. m.) The downstairs is open plan with gourmet kitchen, dining table with chairs, couch, large TV and full bathroom. Upstairs are two bedrooms, each with a queen bed, plus a full bathroom.
FREE PARKING is included right out front.
We apologize that the outdoor landscaping is still under construction. There is a 20 foot stretch where the ground is uneven and it may be difficult to roll suitcases. It is safe and well lighted day and night.
* full modern kitchen
* free outdoor parking in front
* two new, very comfortable queen beds
* sofa downstairs, opens to queen bed
* air mattress for 7th guest (it will be a tight fit and a little uncomfortable)
* exotic wood floors
* large windows, great light
* two full bathrooms, modern glass and tile
* tub with double saloon glass shower
* professionally cleaned before each visit
* sheets, towels, and soaps provided
* high speed wi-fi, cellular/3G/4G, strong signal
* TV with cable, FREE streaming Netflix, DVD
* HULU, Amazon Prime Movies, etc. on your account
* private entrance with access code
* bike storage: off-street safe and secure
* laundry: free washer, dryer, and detergent!
* luggage storage for early arrival, late departure
* breakfast: free coffee is included. Many cafes and restaurants a few blocks away
Interaction with Guests
We live 20 feet away in the main house and we are here to assist as needed.
We are right in the middle of San Francisco in the historic North of Panhandle ("NOPA") neighborhood, near Presidio Heights, and accessible to everything this great city has to offer. The area is very clean and safe, quiet at night and thriving during the day. Walk among Victorian gems, soak in the cafe and foodie scene, bike to the beaches or the Mission, or take a cab or easy bus to anywhere. Stroll to these unique neighborhood attractions, all within a few blocks:
* Alamo Square's Painted Ladies ("The 7 Sisters")
* Panhandle Park to Golden Gate Park
* Amazing restaurants: NOPA, Green Chile, Ragazza Pizza, Crudo (seafood), Nopalito, Tsunami Sushi, Herbivore
* Cafe paradise: Matching Half, Abirs, The Mill, Mojo, Peet's
* Wine/bar heaven: Wine Kitchen, Candy Bar, Vinyl, Fly
* Gourmet food to go: Faletti's, Bi-Rite Divis
* Farmer's market: Sunday 10-2
* Entertainment: Madrone, The Independent
* SF Symphony, Opera, Ballet, Hayes Valley (20 min walk)
* Jazz: The Fillmore, Yoshi's, SFJAZZ (15 min walk)
* Buena Vista Park (15 min walk)
* Haight/Ashbury (20 min walk)
* Walk to dozens of sights, shops, and restaurants
* One FREE parking space is included
* 3 bus lines within 2 blocks
* Cable cars: a quick bus, taxi, or 30min walk away
* From the airport, take "SuperShuttle" or taxi
* Taxi to anywhere in SF under 15 minutes
* Rent bicycles and ride new city-wide bike lanes
One FREE reserved outdoor parking space is included. In addition there is plenty of street parking if you have a second car. You don't need a car to see San Francisco, but it is helpful to visit Wine Country, Marin Headlands, the beaches, and scenic Highway 1.
Other Things to Note
Early or late check-in or check-out:
We have a secure laundry room to store your luggage if you arrive before check-in time or depart after check-out time. I will email you the access code for the the door locks so you can come and go at any hour. There are no physical keys.
Washer, dryer, and laundry detergent is provided free of charge, 20 feet away in the main house. There may be a wait if someone else is using it. Please limit to two loads per day. Not available Tuesday afternoons.
Kindly remove your shoes indoors.
Checkout time is 11am.
No smoking, pets, parties, or events on the property.
Please limit noise outside as we are in a quiet residential neighborhood.
If you have time, please clean dirty dishes and take out trash on your way out.
From Oct 12 - 14, 2015 the minimum stay is 2 nights.
We had a wonderful stay at Russ's Secret Cottage! Everything was clean, modern, and well-maintained in the home. We had a group of five and were extremely comfortable. We also appreciated the amenities, such as the nice towels, soap/shampoo/conditioner, coffee makers, etc. The location was also fantastic--we were walking distance from Golden Gate Park, the Painted Ladies, Haight-Ashbury, and a reasonable cab ride to everything else. I highly recommend staying here, especially for a family or a group!
It was a great stay, while entering it may look dodgy but it's actually an incredible place and area to live in. Russ was very helpful on day one as we had a few stupid questions, haha. I'd definitely recommend staying here.
The house was beautiful and very comfortable - myself and family of five others were able to comfortably stay there for four days with no problems at all while easily getting around the city walking and using public transit. It was a great vacation!
Russ has been a great hoast, very friendly ans always helpful. Rhw appartment ia a little jewel, in a quiet and yet fantastic area. We would warmly recommend it and would without hesitation reiterate the experience.
When you first drive up to the Secret Cottage, you may be slightly confused. The neighborhood is fine and quiet, very residential, much like a place you would live rather than visit. The landscaping is admittedly a work in progress, but once you open the door to the cottage, you will be very pleased by the charming, clean design of the space. There is a beautiful kitchen and two gorgeous baths. As the cottage is behind the main house, you are a bit off the street, so it's quiet and shaded.
SF can be a little daunting - there is a lot to do. There is a very good notebook with cottage orientation and area walks and resources. Shopping is just a few blocks away.
The locale is good. You can walk to the Haight and Golden Gate Park easily. There are a few cool coffee shops and restaurants in the area.
Laundry is on-site, a very nice perk. The keyless entries really are a nice touch. I wish more people would offer this.
All in all, for the price of a hotel room you can have this lovely, relaxing cottage, a great place to kick back from the urban rush.
This was a wonderful place for our family to stay for a long weekend. It was clean and the perfect size for 6 of us. It also had very nice appliances to use. One of the best parts was not having to carry around a key all vacation, the code was nice. We also felt very safe being tucked back behind some homes. Also this was fairly close to great areas. We were able to walk to the fisherman's wharf and other areas, barley using our car. It was also great that there was a parking spot right in front. We would definitely recommend.
Wonderful location! Very close to tons of San Francisco attractions. I loved that there was a parking space since we took a roadtrip from LA. The house was very nice and private, accommodated 6 people comfortably.
This host has 9 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
About the Host, Russ
I've lived here for 10 years with my wife and dog. We recently had a baby boy and wow has life changed! We enjoy hiking, eating, cooking, weekends in wine country, the beach, traveling to exotic places, and most of all nap time.