Eco-friendly, huge deck directly over a mountain stream. Quiet & secluded but still close to Gatlinburg. Great Smoky Mountains National Park 5 mins away w/ more hiking trails here than anywhere else. LGBT/interracial friendly be yourself!
The White Tail Room features a king sized Tempur-Pedic Bed, perfect for sore muscles in the evening. So far I've received rave reviews.
Welcome to the quiet side! Fern Gully is your eco/friendly creek-side cabin in the Smokies, a quiet sanctuary for up to 5. TOTALLY UNIQUE FROM EVERYONE ELSE; read on!
My forefathers were among the first to lobby Pres. Roosevelt for the creation of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. His gift was to be one of only a few families in the world to have cabins in Elkmont the last inhabited community within the Park. many of Fern Gully's furnishings are from our cabin.
My room's a studio apt with sound insulated walls & separate entrance at the farthest end of the deck. I can't hear you & you'll only hear me through occasional floor creaks. Zoinks never barks unless she sees dogs in the street while she's outside.
Fern Gully's features:
- Screened-in deck directly over mountain stream spans nearly whole length of cabin with rocking chairs, picnic table for 6 (from Elkmont!), coice of eco friendly propane/infrared or charcoal grill, lights illuminate water at night. One rental across creek to very far end, everything else across the creek is nothing but wild forest!
- Great Room: vaulted ceiling, fully equipped kitchen, fireplace, reclining leather sofa & 46" flat-screen HiDef TV connected to Wi-Fi. Roku. Hardwood floors & 2 HEPA filters.
- Oatmeal, local jams, ciders, coffee & tea provided.
- House Manual on kitchen counter; you'll feel at home right away.
- Main Guest Room: King Tempur-Pedic bed, ceiling fan, huge closet & bamboo floors. Pocket door to priv. bath w/ another to Great Room. Wand shower head & seats.
- Extra Room: Simple & small but with dbl bed, single & window over water. Laundry en suite, Eco-friendly detergent provided.
- Almost every guest says they'll return. Awesome!
- Remember I only get messages through Airbnb or email.
- EVERYTHING IN THE PICTURES IS YOUR SPACE I DON'T ENTER WITHOUT INVITATION! My room inside cabin is a studio apt. Sound insulted walls & sep entrance off deck farthest away from you. Like any neighbor, I will never come into your home without knocking! If we run into each other, most likely only if you're on deck & I use my entrance on the end I'm gone in a flash!
- Small library, games, coloring books & puzzles for rainy days.
- Messages must be sent via Airbnb, or email. I don't have reception for direct calls or texts
Interaction with Guests
- House Manual has the info you need w/out assistance. But both my dog and I are very friendly, outgoing & I love to help! Avail. from 9:30 - 9:30. Cell # provided if I'm out.
- I have a chronic illness that destroyed my immune system, During cold/flu season I avoid people as much as possible. I'll stay in my room the entire time but we can still communicate through Airbnb messages (I check out more often than email). That way I can help out or answer questions.
Neighborhood extremely quiet. Most homes rentals. I've been here many years & never had problems. Though close to action of Gatlinburg & Pigeon Forge, it's so quiet & secluded you'll feel like the only people in the world.
- Free outdoor parking onsite.
- When in Gatlinburg or Newport be conscious of speed limits. They *mean* it!
- Gatlinburg & Pigeon Forge created a trolley system to major attractions, saving a bundle parking.
- Should you decided to hike a trail that is not a loop to get to your car, my friends shuttles provided by A Walk in the Woods.
- Messages must be sent via Airbnb, I don't have cell reception for direct texts
Other Things to Note
- GPS directions seem faster but may take you thru Pigeon Forge (can add hours to the trip), or *serious* mtn back road w/*major* curves & no GPS to get out or call for help! Trust me...*Newport!*
- Messages must be sent via Airbnb, I don't have cell reception for direct texts
- The cleaning fee I charge is significantly less than what I pay the house keeper. She's paid to make beds, wipe mop etc. She is NOT paid to pick up after you. That falls on me. Please bear it in mind during your stay & when checking out.
2) Personal tours of Elkmont, last inhabited community in the Park. I was one of the lucky few who lived there. FEE: $40. Tips GREATLY appreciated, divided btwn med costs & the heavy expense for the upkeep of a cabin so close to water.
4) Basic (free) or optional (fee) housekeeping, both only once/day & if you're out. Some days I'm called away or too ill, but will do my best. Your basic and optional (for a fee) are listed below:
--Bath/kitchen garbage (when full) emptied
--Bath supplies stocked, linens replaced by request (left on floor)
--Soaps/shampoo replaced as needed
--Kitchen stocked w/cleaning & napkin rags, breakfast items
--Floors of heavy traffic areas cleaned
--Fireplace cleaned as needed. For you fire newbies, it's not needed after every fire.
--Beds made ($1 extra to change sheets)
--Swept & mopped/vacuumed
FEE: $5/per day chosen
-Shower, toilet, sink, counter, mirror cleaned
-Floor swept & mopped
-Bath mat vacuumed or replaced if needed.
FEE: $10/day chosen
-Dishes etc cleared & cleaned
-Coffee Spot, counters, cook top cleaned
FEE: $10-$15/day chosen depending on effort & time
THINGS TO DO:
1) Have a great time w/out even leaving FG! Splash in private creek, play games for quality family time, curl up w/ a book before a fire or flick on a Hi-def TV, dine by candlelight or just hang out & listen to sounds of nature to beat ANY app! Neighborhood has partially forested loop exactly 1 mile from gate to gate. Great for walkers keeping track of distance.
2) Our side of Park is a hiker's paradise, w/ than any other. Never need to go to G'burg!
3) Elkmont tours, (mentioned earlier). $40/group
4) A Walk in the Woods has something for all interests & fitness levels. Featured on Travel Channel, voted Top Guide by REI, listed as one of the top experiences in the area. 5 ☆s on Trip Advisor. Call ahead. They may have open groups to tag along. Airbnb hides websites & phone #. Search "A Walk in the Woods Gatlinburg" & it's top hit.
5) Mountain picnics, local crafts & pioneer celebrations year-round.
6) Climbworks, #1 zipline in the country is less than a 5 minute walk from FG. A 2 HR guided tour. You will see the forest from a whole new perspective. They also have a mtn bike roller coaster!
7) FG's about 5 minutes from Greenbriar in the GSMNP. So beautiful countless weddings held there. Perfect for picnics, swims, strolls or long hikes. For hardcore walkers & runners, road paved, then graveled. Lots of distance to cover, w/gorgeous views.
8) Cosby Campground only 10 minutes away has the most trail-heads in Park.
9) Everything in GSMNP is great to see. Hiking trails for all fitness levels, beautiful vistas to see via car. Celebrate of our pioneer heritage year-round w/ food, music & demonstrations. Any time of year offers all sorts of things to do or see! Mountains world-renowned for showing off. Wildflower Pilgrimage celebrates spectacular wildflowers all over the mountains. We're known as "The Wildflower National Park." Summer has one of the rarest occurrences in nature; synchronous fireflies. Colonies exist only in Elkmont & Malaysia. Summer's lush, green & full of swimming, picnics, wildlife, horseback riding, hikes, biking Cades Cove, fishing & much more! Fall's display of forest colors defies description & the harvest celebration is fun for all ages! Winter has some of the most beautiful views of mountain ice & snow in the country. I haven't even begun to cover it all!
As for the rest of these attractions, they may not be in the park but they're still blast! Use Trolley system whenever possible.
1) Wander around The Artist Colony! See masterpieces of pottery, glass work, leather work etc, all created by local folks. The beautiful & historic Buckhorn Inn there, w/ an unparalleled view of Mt. LeConte, a world renowned labyrinth & a peaceful pond complete w/ swans.
2) Ripley's Aquarium is #1 in the country w/ good reason. It's awesome!
3) Dollywood is one of America's top rated theme parks & it's right here! Home of The Wild Eagle, first & only winged roller coaster! The Mystery Mine is steepest in the country. Brave (or crazy) roller coast fanatics should check it out on the web. You'll be instantly intrigued. There are also demonstrations of old-time Appalachian arts. In summer heat Dolly's Splash Country is a must-go!
4) About an hour & a half away (w/ beautiful mtn views), visit the largest home in the country, Biltmore House & Gardens in Asheville NC. Spring grounds are breathtaking & holiday decorations are not to be missed! The city is a filled w/ art, music & dining. Make a whole day out of Asheville!
Here are a few dining ideas for you:
- After your day at Dollywood, have a wacky, funny & kitsch (in a fun way) dinner at Dixie Stampede. I still can't figure out how that guy stands on the backs of two galloping horses while they jump through fire. Holy moly!
- Barely 3 minutes away is Cobbly Nob Pizza Cafe, which delivers during Summer - including uncooked steak dinners for grilling out! Be warned: their pizza is horrible! Still, they've got GREAT burgers & fries!
- Carver's Applehouse has a market w/ apples, jams, ciders (same stuff in fridge) local produce & a restaurant w/ *gorgeous* view of orchard & horses. Almost every Spring there are foals flitting. The specialty is complimentary apple fritters w/apple butter.
- The Mountain Lodge is just this side of Gatlinburg. Their biscuits w/ sausage & gravy is highly addictive!
- For something more upscale, the Buckhorn Inn has a great breakfast along w/ that LeConte view along w/ nice porch w/ rocking chairs to rock that "I'm so stuffed" feeling away. Dinner is said to be great. Reservation required.
- If you don't mind waiting in line a bit, The Pancake Pantry in G'burg is one of the 1st eateries in town. It's world famous for breakfast & it deserves its reputation.
Hopefully I've given you at least an idea of all the wonders & thrills we have here & your wanderlust is calling you! If it is, I hope you'll visit me & Zoinks at Fern Gully!
- PLEASE read *before booking* Details in kitchen manual but this gives you the information you need for first coming in.
- Earliest check in is 3 p.m. but come as late as you want. Checkout by 11 a.m.
-Airbnb requires full head counts for insurance purposes. For example, if it's you & 1 friend, reserve as TWO guests.
- Unless you have diabetes or balance issues, this is a "no shoes inside" house. You may want to bring comfy house shoes or extra shoes to wear just inside. Don't drag luggage across floors.
- Cabin not child proofed. No kids under 12. Infants not walking accepted.
- No pets, no exceptions. Please no service animals (allergies). If your pet is boarded nearby & you visit the park, they have strict regulations to protect our wildlife. Unpaved areas off limits.
- Call ETA before arrival AND exiting interstate (cells lose signals in mtns) so I'll have Zoinks in side, gate open. DON'T OPEN GATE IF SHE'S IN YD! Stay in car, honk your horn & I'll come get her.
- I change sheets upon checkout. Don't make beds. Big help to strip sheets.
-You'll be charged for lost/unreturned keys. It's expensive to change locks.
-Cook top & counters are *very* easily scratched. EZ instructions on their care in manual in kitchen.
- Only sit in seat of recliners. Get in/out only when they're fully upright.
- In a nutshell, treat FG & Zoinks like they're all you have in the world, bcz it's true for me. :)
The listing was absolutely right on. The cabin is nestled in a very calm, quiet neighborhood. It has a wonderful babbling brook running below the screened in balcony.
Claire is delightful and welcoming. Her dog, Zoinks, was very friendly and absolutely loved our grandson. Wiggles and waggles aplenty.
Privacy was maintained at all times, unless we needed something.
We would love to come back again when we could stay longer.
How wonderful to here "listing was absolutely right on!" It was a genuine please having you, ESPECIALLY for Zoinks! She misses out on active play since I've been sick, so any time playful kids are involved she goes NUTS with pleasure! But Brandon was even more so, and it was written all over her wiggy-wags and belly flops! I'm so happy to have given you that feeling of "home-ness," and welcome you back any time!
I would definitely recommend Claire's cabin at Fern Gully! Claire was my first airbnb trip and she made our trip in Tennessee. The cabin was absolutely relaxing! Claire was very accommodating with our schedule and provided us fresh baked cookies upon our arrival. The cabin was clean and Claire left easy to follow instructions on how to set up the house. She was extremely friendly and helped us order food the first night we stayed there. Plus her dog is super cute and was right there to welcome us as we got there. The room had plenty of space for my boyfriend and I and the bed was massive (on the softer side). The cabin was located just a few minutes from downtown Gatlinburg so there was plenty of activities for us to do close by. There is no cell phone reception at her cabin but she provided us with Internet and access to a guest Netflix account. If you need to make calls, she has a landline for guests to use as well.
Claire was very welcoming and even baked us delicious cookies! The cabin itself was very clean and everything was gorgeous. There's a creek out back that you can just sit on the porch and overlook. I would not hesitate to stay at Claire's again!
Fern Gully was a joy to stay in for the weekend, I only wish we could have stayed longer. The listing was exactly as great as it sounds. Great kitchen, great fireplace. Having the creek right outside the great room door was amazing! One thing Claire doesn't list is the Stars, they are beautiful on a clear night! Everything was so clean and neat! I honestly felt like I was in my own home. Claire was invisible unless we asked her not to be. Such a great listing and a true gem.
We had a fabulous time! Claire was very accommodating; she gave us our privacy but whenever we needed something she was right there to help out. Gatlinburg is a short 20 minute drive away with really cool shops and great restaurants. Fern Gully Lodge is wonderful! Full kitchen, awesome bed, fireplace, screened in back porch... Highly recommended!
Fern Gully was a peaceful retreat at the end of a busy day in Gatlinburg. The fireplace made for a very cozy and relaxing time and sitting out on the screened porch and listening to the stream in the morning (even in January!) was a great way to start the day. We enjoyed talking to Clair about the area and recommendations of where to eat. If you're looking for something off of the beaten path (about a 20 minute drive into town) with the chance to interact with your host, Fern Gully is a great place to stay!
I'm so glad you had a good time and enjoy your stay at Fern Gully. Though I usually make myself scarce for the sake of guest privacy, I love it when we interact! Living alone in such a quiet place has its benefits, but being a hermit certainly isn't one of them! I'm always grateful for a little conversation. Thanks for being such fun guests!
The cottage is beautiful, with an amazing fireplace that makes the main room really cozy. We enjoy places that are off the main route, and this was great for us to relax. Claire was very responsive to our questions before and during our stay. Although it is shared accommodations with Claire living in an attached suite, she was very respectful of making the place private while we were there. I would recommend this place, it is really beautiful!
I was raised in Elkmont, a cabin community within the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. My parents also had a home in Knoxville where we spent the most of the year, but I still believe I grew up in Elkmont. It is there that shaped who I am. In fact, it wasn't until years after we were evicted that I learned fireflies (we call them lightnin' bugs) were not all synchronous. I thought that was the norm! I was surprised when I found out there are only two of these populations in the world. One right here in Elkmont, and the other in Malaysia.
Growing up I was an enthusiastic horse lover, and rode professionally as a backcountry guide and horsemanship instructor in Tennessee, North Carolina, Florida and Montana. It was Montana that caused a major shift in my plans.
Before I worked in Montana, I attended FSU as a theatre major. I was positive I would live in "the big city," preferably New York. But after my experience in Montana I realized the mountains still called to me. I returned to East Tennessee, graduating in Wildlife Biology. I then became a zookeeper at the Knoxville Zoological Gardens. But all that changed when I was diagnosed with Late Stage Lyme Disease, a nasty debilitating version of what most people are familiar with. Once I became disabled it was clear I had to be more creative in ways to support myself, and Airbnb was a life saver! My favorite thing about hosting is having the pleasure of meeting new people from all places and all walks of life.
I was blessed with this wonderful cabin by the river left to me by my parents, who purchased it when it became clear the NPS was kicking us out of Elkmont for good. They knew none of us could survive without the mountains and they were right! I live here with my dog and when I sip my coffee looking over Webb Creek I can't imagine living anywhere else. I hope you experience at least a taste of this when you visit Fern Gully.
There is one thing I request from all of my guests. No matter how insignificant or large it is, please do not hesitate to offer suggestions and constructive criticisms at any time! Don't be shy. You can let it all out with me! It is extremely important to me to be the best host possible, for you to get the most value for your hard-earned money and most of all, that you have the most fun and relaxation possible!
At Fern Gully, *everyone* is welcome, regardless of race, color or sexual orientation. This is where you can truly be yourself, regardless of what that means! Be relaxed, refreshed, revived and rejuvenated in your own little cabin in the woods!