About This Listing
About 10 minutes from the Austin International Airport
Go to this link to see my Guidebook for the neighborhood...
* Please read house rules, first.
The Monstrosity Bungalow is a nice 1200 sq/ft 2br house in South Austin. It’s very close to the corner of Oltorf and South Congress.
This house has a living room, dining room (currently serving as a second living room), a large kitchen and two bedrooms and a bathroom. Each of the two bedrooms have a full size beds. In the first living room there is a full sized sleeper sofa. In addition to the sleeper sofa, there are two other couches in the two living rooms which are large enough to sleep on.
There is free wi/fi available and two parking spots in the driveway. It has a large screened-in porch in the back, with a huge couch and a laundry room. The porch and laundry area are shared with others on the property, but all other areas are private. Although there aren't any animals with access to the interior of the house, there are a couple of cats that tend to like to hang out on the couch on the back porch.
There is a small efficiency apartment on a second floor above the house. It has it's own private entrance. Sometimes, you can hear their footsteps. If you want to make sure not to hear them, you can turn on the window units (even if it's just on FAN) to hide the noise. Often the airbnb guests upstairs will ask to use the back porch area. They have explicit instructions as to how to conduct themselves, so they won't disturb the Bungalow guests.
About the nearby area...
It's in the middle of the SOCO area. It's close enough to walk or bike to the SOCO venues as well as walk, bike to the or take a short cab ride to Downtown events. It's about ¼ mile to SOCO event areas and 1½ miles from downtown. If you wish to walk to 6th St from this space, you can get there in less than 20 mins, when you're taking your time. It's about a $10 cab/Uber/Lyft ride to 6th from my place.
Well behaved pets are welcome.
Located near the corner of South Congress and Oltorf St. Several bus routes run near this space which will get you all over town for about $2 per day.
The house is 4 blocks from a major grocery store, and within just a few blocks there are lots of amazing restaurants ranging from super cheap food trucks to five-star dining.
There are many neighborhood coffee shops within 5 blocks.
If you have any interest or other questions about this post, please include the words "Monstrosity Bungalow" in the headline of your correspondence. I have other properties listed on airbnb. Including "Monstrosity Bungalow" in your correspondence will prevent confusion.
Go to this link to see my Guidebook for the neighborhood...
As a guest at the Bungalow, you will have access to :
Whole First Floor
Front Yard and Porch
Screened-In Back Porch
Half of Driveway
Sometimes, the Roof Deck at Monstrosity Loft
Loft in the backyard will be available, depending on the rental situation of the Monstrosity Loft's second floor.
Interaction with Guests
Typically, when the guests arrive, I try to be there whenever possible, or have someone else to greet guests and show them around. Also, I try to be available by phone to answer questions about the property or Austin in general.
I ask that all guests please keep as much correspondence here, on the Airbnb site. I have several units available on Airbnb and using the site to communicate helps me keep track of which unit you are associated with. Once you have arrived in Austin, texting or calling is okay for communication.
If there are more than 6 guests, please inform me ahead of time to discuss.
I often respond to my personal email very slowly, so that is the *least* efficient way of communication and taking care of your inquiries associated with Airbnb.
The Monstrosity Bungalow is in the middle of the SOCO area. It's close enough to walk or bike to the SOCO venues as well as walk, bike to the or take a short cab ride to Downtown events. It's about ¼ mile to SOCO event areas and 1½ miles from downtown. If you wish to walk to 6th St from this space, you can get there in less than 20 mins, when you're taking your time. It's about a $10 cab/Uber/Lyft ride to 6th from my place.
NEW! Now Austin has "Austin B Cycle," which is a short-term bicycle rental. There are quite a few of the B Cycle stations around the SOCO and Downtown areas. Some of the closest ones are a 10 minute walk from the loft.
Check it (email hidden)
I have several bicycles with locks available on the property. I can often make them available to airbnb guests.
Also, go to this link to see my Guidebook for the neighborhood...
Mentioned in the "Overview" section.
Other Things to Note
In many cases, I will offer a free night to guests who book for 7 or more nights. (Every 7 nights for the price of 6)
SXSW is one exception to the free-day offer.
Because of some programing glitches on the airbnb site, I just mention the above here, instead of entering it in the "Weekly Rate" or "Monthly Rate" fields.
I'll send you the adjusted price in a "Special Offer"
1. Please let me know your check-in and check-out times. If there are more than 6 guests, please inform me ahead of time to discuss.
2. Be polite to your fellow airbnb guests who are booked elsewhere on the property. There are another units I rent to other airbnb guests. So, being mindful about your noise levels in the Bungalow is very important. This is a special concern on the screened-in porch. So, PLEASE... Keep your voices, TV and music volume at a reasonable level. When using the back porch keep the noise rules in mind. So far, the only unfavorable comments I've ever left on any reviews of my guests have been over the issue of excessive noise after a few reminders.
3. In the bathroom, keep the exhaust fan on in the during/after a showers in order to help the place stay dry. Drying off while in the shower really helps to keep the bathroom dry and clean. This especially important when there are 4 or more guests staying here. IMPORTANT: The toilet system is run by a pump which is easily damaged by things thrown in the toilet other than toilet paper. *So, please toilet paper, only.*
4. Smoke outside and use ashtrays. There is a front porch which is an acceptable place to smoke. It’s also okay to smoke in the screened-in porch as well, as long as you’re not disturbing other guests who are also using the porch. There are places to dispose of cig butts. So, please no tossing butts around the outdoor areas. In Austin we are usually in some sort of drought condition, so fire possibilities are always increased and using ashtrays will protect the property.
5. If you bring pets, please make sure they are quiet at all times. They should not be allowed to freely roam the unfenced areas of the property. Do your best to keep them off of the furniture.
6. Never be shy to call host or host's representative to relay any problems, concerns, advice, suggestions, requests, questions, etc. Whenever these arise, we want to know and will do whatever we can to take care of your situation, asap.
7. Upon check out:
a) We ask that you place all used sheets and towels in the hamper(s) provided for you, near the back doors. If we neglect to provide the hamper, just leave laundry inside the house, in a pile on the floor, next to the back entrance.
b) Any used dishes and utensils should be washed and placed in dish rack.
c) All trash and recycling should be brought to the bins in the driveway.
d) Make sure coffee maker is turned off and used grounds are placed in the trash.
e) A/C or heaters should be turned off upon final exit.
f) If you have used the fold-out sofa bed, please leave it folded out.
g) Leave the key(s) on an obvious spot, such as a table top, and leave doors UNLOCKED.
h) Finally, giving a call or text as you're vacating the property, will be greatly appreciated.
I had a great time in the Monstrosity bungalow! It's centrally located, so we were close to downtown and 6th street. Tony, our host, was kind and accommodating. It really made our trip worth while! Would definitely book again!
Loved the Monstrosity Bungalow. My friends and I (four of us) were very happy here. The space was so comfortable and roomy, we never felt overcrowded. The rooms were all comfortable. Contrary to what the listing says there are actually two true beds, which was a bonus! We were able to utilize the kitchen as well. Of course we basically lived on the shared screened in porch, to the point of not wanting to leave it. The neighborhood was great as well. Walking distance to a major grocery store. Fantastic time! The Monstrosity Bungalow really made our trip to Austin great!
Tony wasn't able to be there to greet us, but made sure our check-in went smoothly. He responded promptly to all messages before and during our stay, which was greatly appreciated! We had some complications while booking, but Tony figured everything out for us and was very sweet about it all! The house looks just like the photos -- very cute, roomy for myself and my 2 friends. The screened-in patio in the back was a nice addition, in addition to the two bedrooms, essentially two living rooms, bathroom, and kitchen (equipped with basics). The location is awesome, too, just a short walk to South Congress, which is one of the best areas for restaurants, shops, and nightlife. We loved our stay! Thank you, Tony - next time we are in Austin, we would love to stay here again!!
It was great! The Monstrosity was comfortable and inviting with a great location. I really enjoyed the feel of the house and the art on the walls.
This review is for the Loft. The space was great. Just like home. Close to South Congress & ABGB. Tony was around to answer questions & for small talk. My daughter especially enjoyed the company of the cats and dogs. Can't wait to go back. We also bought some of Tony's artwork he had in the loft.
The reservation was canceled 6 days before arrival. This is an automated posting.
The reservation was canceled 5 days before arrival. This is an automated posting.
This host has 108 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews