Our west side two bedroom cottage is located in a very quiet neighborhood just 2 blocks from Deschutes River trail/kayak rapids. Sip coffee on front deck, picnic on back deck. With 1000 sq ft, sleeps four on two queen beds, a double futon mattress for kids. Large kitchen, gas fireplace, AC, new hot tub, fenced yard for dogs, WIFI, cable TV, BBQ. Short 10 min walk to downtown for restaurants, galleries, parks and shopping. Hike or bike miles on the Deschutes River trail directly from the house.
Our small 1924 Bungalow is in a very quiet, family neighborhood within easy walking of downtown. We just painted the outside this Fall (2016) and will paint the entire inside this spring, which will make it easier to clean and brighter. We are dog-friendly, as is the neighborhood, with one of the best walking trails in town a block away. Note that this is not a party neighborhood. Its a family kind of place those those wanting a retreat from noise.
We will give you access to a lock box (with a code) with the keys to the front and back doors. Super easy, regardless of when you arrive, to get the keys out of the box (by then you will have the code) and open the back door. You have sole access to the backyard and hot tub.
Interaction with guests
We just moved to back to Bend and live about a mile away. But our daughter and her husband have lived here for the past 7 years and they know all of the best places to mountain bike, ski, camp and hike. Our renters in the back cottage (a separate place) are my niece Ellie and her husband Andrew, with their dog Gary. They help maintain the yard, shovel walks, take out garbage, and answer questions.
We also stay close to our email and phones if you need anything.
Other things to note
This is a friendly, quiet neighborhood so please respect our neighbors. We want to ensure that the Second Street Bungalow is an asset to the neighborhood. Please clean up well after dogs and keep them from barking. And no loud late-night parties, please! In case you didn't get that message already! :-) We have a couple of bikes in the basement you can use, as well as tubes you can float the river with.
1. CHECK-IN TIME IS AFTER 4PM Pacific Time AND CHECK-OUT TIME IS 12PM Pacific Time. No early check-ins or late check-outs. This agreement does not create a tenancy or residence. You must depart at the appropriate time. (If you would like an earlier check-in, please ask.)
2. This is a NON-SMOKING rental.
3. DAMAGE/RESERVATION DEPOSIT
Unless you are reserving through Airbnb who collects these for us, the following applies:
A damage/reservation deposit of $200 ($500 for monthly stays) is required. The deposit automatically converts to a damage/excessive cleaning deposit upon arrival.
The deposit is not applied toward rent; however, it is fully refundable within fourteen (14) days of departure, provided the following provisions are met:
a. No damage is done to the unit or its contents, beyond normal wear and tear, and no excessive cleaning is needed.
b. No charges are incurred due to contraband, pets, or collection of rents or services rendered during the stay.
c. No excessive utility usage (may be subject to a utility surcharge).
d. All keys are returned to lockbox.
e. No linens are lost or damaged.
f. No early check-ins or late check-outs without checking owners in advance.
g. The renter is not evicted by the owner (or representative of the owner) or the local law enforcement.
h. Compliance with Check-out procedures:
•Turn the heat down to 60 and AC up to 80 (summer)
•Take out the garbage
•Start a load of laundry
•Do dishes/start dishwasher
•Lock house/return keys to lockbox
h. Compliance with Pet Policy:
•Pets are prohibited on the furniture: couches, chairs, beds, tables.
Untrained pets must not be left unattended either in the house or in the back yard.
•Prevent pets from engaging in behaviors or creating excessive noise at a level that disturbs neighbors, including, but not limited to, barking, jumping, digging, and running.
•Please encourage your pets to use the fenced back yard as their “facilities."
•Remove all pet waste from front and back yard before vacating. (Please use the provided plastic bags hanging above the basement stairs. Bags can be tied closed and put in the trash container.
•Use rags and cleaner located in the basement stairs for accidents.
•Use dog bowls located in cupboard under kitchen island.
The pet owner agrees that any damage to the exterior or interior of the premises, grounds, flooring, walls, trim, finish, tiles, carpeting, or any stains, etc., caused by the pet will be the full financial responsibility of the pet owner and the pet owner agrees to pay all costs involved in the restoration to its original condition. If because of any such stains, etc., said damage is such that it cannot be removed, then the pet owner hereby agrees to pay the full expense of replacement.
5. CANCELLATIONS - Payment and deposits are fully refundable up to 30 days prior to reservation. If you cancel between 30 days and 7 days prior to your reservation, a $50 cancellation fee will be assessed. If we are able to re-book the dates for the same price and length of stay, you will receive a full refund once that reservation is confirmed. If you cancel your reservation within seven days of your reservation, all deposits will be refunded but rent payments are non-refundable.
6. RATE CHANGES - Rates are subject to change without notice but will not change once a deposit has been received.
7. FALSIFIED RESERVATIONS - Any reservation obtained under false pretenses will be subject to forfeiture of advance payment, deposit, and/or rental money, and the party will not be permitted to check-in.
8. WRITTEN EXCEPTIONS - Any exceptions to the above mentioned policies must be approved in writing in advance.
9. HOT TUB AND GEAR - The Second Street Bungalow and John and Sally Collins are not responsible for any injuries or accidents incurred and/or sustained in the use of the hot tub, recreational gear, or facilities at the Second Street Bungalow. You may use these items of your own choosing and at your own risk. We have provided towels for the hot tub.
10. NO DAILY HOUSEKEEPER SERVICE - Linens and towels included in the rental rate. There are both a washer and a dryer in the basement and cleaning supplies are provided.
11. PARKING – Two cars can be parked in the driveway. Please do not park in the street
12. Please obey all of the rules associated with the City of Bend's "Good Neighbor Policy: (website hidden) This is also included in the information we send you in advance of the trip as well as in the notebook in the house itself.
13. The City of Bend Occupancy/Lodging tax of 10.4%.per city code will be collected by Airbnb if reservations made through them. Otherwise collected by the host.
We bought this house in August 2013 and are moving back to Bend from Colorado in the Summer 2017, having just bought a house near Newport Market. John is a retired Oceanographer whose last project involved the BP oil spill restoration in the Gulf of Mexico. Sally works in international forestry and travels around the world a lot for her work, which concerns both human rights and conservation. She's mostly working on issues like deforestation in the Amazon, getting rights to forest lands for Indigenous People, addressing governmental corruption, and looking at innovative markets for environmental services like clean water and carbon. We hike, mountain bike, telemark ski and road bike, among many other hobbies. We raised our daughter In Bend, so have tons to resources to offer a renter, from restaurants to hikes to great galleries. We are invested in the community of Bend, are proud of how it has managed growth, transportation and general quality of life.
The Bungalow is a block from our daughter Casey and her husband Pete, who help us manage the property along with our niece, Ellie and her husband Andrew, who live in our back cottage. All are available at short notice to give help and advice.
We love Airbnb, use it when we travel overseas and in the US. Hosts are friendly and we have found guests to be wonderful people. We like its simplicity and reliability.