About this listing
Our cute west side two bedroom cottage--a block from the Deschutes River trail/kayak rapids. Comfortably sleeps four on two queen beds. Large kitchen, gas fireplace, AC, hot tub, fenced yard for dogs, WIFI, cable TV, BBQ, and a short walk to downtown.
Large completely fenced backyard with hot tub, BBQ, large deck and room for dogs to play. Patio furniture for outdoor eating. Extra parking place off back alley.
We listed the Bungalow in January 2014 and have had wonderful renters these first couple of years. It's hard to find a cuter house, in such great shape, with all of these amenities, close to the river and downtown. And in a very quiet neighborhood.
We have two bedrooms with a queen bed each, and a blow up double mattress for kids or an extra adult.
We are dog-friendly, as is the neighborhood, with one of the best walking trails in town a block away. This isn't a rental for people who like to party late into the night, but for couples and families that choose a little peace and tranquillity. As you prepare for lots of wonderful outdoor activities!
We will give you access to a lock box (with a code) with the keys to the front and back doors. Super easy, regardless of when you arrive, to get the keys out of the box (by then you will have the code) and open the back door.
Interaction with Guests
We do not live in Bend, but our daughter and her husband live around the corner know great people who can come quickly with any problems. They also know all of the best places to mountain bike, ski, camp and hike. Our renter in the back cottage (a separate place), Frankie, has great connections to bike rentals -- she works at Sunnyside Sports (her parents own it!)
We also stay close to our email and phones if you need anything.
We love the quiet neighborhood. Everyone walks everywhere. Gallaries, restaurants and Mirror Pond are a 10 minutes walk away, along the river and city park.
Mountain bike to all of the best trails from the house, onto the river trail as well as the mountain trails just out of town. All streets around here are very bike and walking friendly.
Other Things to Note
This is a friendly, quiet neighborhood so please respect our neighbors. We want to ensure that the Second Street Bungalow is an asset to the neighborhood. Please clean up well after dogs and keep them from barking. And no loud late-night parties, please!
Please note that for now Airbnb does not collect and pay the 10.4% lodging tax for us, and until they do (coming soon they say) we will be collecting that on top of and separate from the amount you pay through Airbnb. We can do this through Pay Pal or checks, but will fill you in on all of that before you arrive.
1. CHECK-IN TIME IS AFTER 4PM Pacific Time AND CHECK-OUT TIME IS 12PM Pacific Time. No early check-ins or late check-outs. This agreement does not create a tenancy or residence. You must depart at the appropriate time. (If you would like an earlier check-in, please ask.)
2. This is a NON-SMOKING rental.
3. DAMAGE/RESERVATION DEPOSIT
Unless you are reserving through Airbnb or Flip key, who collects these for us, the following applies:
A damage/reservation deposit of $200 ($500 for monthly stays) is required. The deposit automatically converts to a damage/excessive cleaning deposit upon arrival.
The deposit is not applied toward rent; however, it is fully refundable within fourteen (14) days of departure, provided the following provisions are met:
a. No damage is done to the unit or its contents, beyond normal wear and tear, and no excessive cleaning is needed.
b. No charges are incurred due to contraband, pets, or collection of rents or services rendered during the stay.
c. No excessive utility usage (may be subject to a utility surcharge).
d. All keys are returned to lockbox.
e. No linens are lost or damaged.
f. No early check-ins or late check-outs without checking owners in advance.
g. The renter is not evicted by the owner (or representative of the owner) or the local law enforcement.
h. Compliance with Check-out procedures:
•Turn the heat down to 60
•Take out the garbage
•Start a load of laundry
•Do dishes/start dishwasher
•Lock house/return keys to lockbox
h. Compliance with Pet Policy:
•Pets are prohibited on the furniture: couches, chairs, beds, tables.
Untrained pets must not be left unattended either in the house or in the back yard.
•Prevent pets from engaging in behaviors or creating excessive noise at a level that disturbs neighbors, including, but not limited to, barking, jumping, digging, and running.
•Please encourage your pets to use the fenced back yard as their “facilities.”
•Remove all pet waste from front and back yard before vacating. (Please use the provided plastic bags hanging above the basement stairs. Bags can be tied closed and put in the trash container.
•Use rags and cleaner located in the basement stairs for accidents.
•Use dog bowls located in cupboard under kitchen island.
The pet owner agrees that any damage to the exterior or interior of the premises, grounds, flooring, walls, trim, finish, tiles, carpeting, or any stains, etc., caused by the pet will be the full financial responsibility of the pet owner and the pet owner agrees to pay all costs involved in the restoration to its original condition. If because of any such stains, etc., said damage is such that it cannot be removed, then the pet owner hereby agrees to pay the full expense of replacement.
5. CANCELLATIONS - Payment and deposits are fully refundable up to 30 days prior to reservation. If you cancel between 30 days and 7 days prior to your reservation, a $50 cancellation fee will be assessed. If we are able to re-book the dates for the same price and length of stay, you will receive a full refund once that reservation is confirmed. If you cancel your reservation within seven days of your reservation, all deposits will be refunded but rent payments are non-refundable.
6. RATE CHANGES - Rates are subject to change without notice but will not change once a deposit has been received.
7. FALSIFIED RESERVATIONS - Any reservation obtained under false pretenses will be subject to forfeiture of advance payment, deposit, and/or rental money, and the party will not be permitted to check-in.
8. WRITTEN EXCEPTIONS - Any exceptions to the above mentioned policies must be approved in writing in advance.
9. HOT TUB AND GEAR - The Second Street Bungalow and John and Sally Collins are not responsible for any injuries or accidents incurred and/or sustained in the use of the hot tub, recreational gear, or facilities at the Second Street Bungalow. You may use these items of your own choosing and at your own risk. We have provided towels for the hot tub.
10. NO DAILY HOUSEKEEPER SERVICE - Linens and towels included in the rental rate. There are both a washer and a dryer in the basement and cleaning supplies are provided.
11. PARKING – Two cars can be parked in the driveway. Please do not park in the street
12. Please obey all of the rules associated with the City of Bend's "Good Neighbor Policy: (website hidden) This is also included in the information we send you in advance of the trip as well as in the notebook in the house itself.
13. You must pay separately the City of Bend Occupancy/Lodging tax of 10.4%. Per city code.
Off street parking for at least two cars, with carport for easy back door access in rain or snow. Downstairs you will find a washer and dryer for guest use.
What a wonderful place. Extremely cozy. John and Sally were actually staying in the bungalow in the back so we got to meet them and their dogs. So friendly. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.
Great communication throughout the process, neighborhood is friendly but also private...
House was clean and neat, ready for our arrival. Description and pics are very accurate. Neighborhood was nice and quiet. House has tons of character. Very close walking distance to everything.
We had a great time in the second street bungalow. Cute, cozy, comfortable home; great location. We'd stay here again in a heartbeat. Sally was friendly and responsive.
John and Sally were wonderful hosts, and we enjoyed staying at their bungalow tremendously. The pre-stay communications were organized and useful and Sally even corresponded a few times while we were in Bend just to check in. The house is cute and has everything you would need to stay in and cook, hang out and watch a movie, or just use it as a launching point for running, hiking, biking, and other adventures. The bungalow is walkable to downtown and several other good restaurants and shops, which are all reviewed and detailed in the guestbook in the bungalow! What a great touch. The next time we are back in Bend, I will certainly check to see if the second street bungalow is available.
John and Sally made us feel very welcome prior to our stay. They had an thorough document that they provided ahead of time with everything we needed to know about the house and things to do in Bend. The house was charming and the hottub was great. It could have used a little TLC here and there, but it worked out fine for our stay.
What a great rental experience. This home was even nicer than it looked in the photos. It was a good size, attractive and comfortable. The neighborhood was quiet and a close walk to the river or down town. The hosts did a great job of communicating the different features of the property and clear instructions for check in. I would definitely stay at this property again and recommend it to others.
This host has 1 review for other properties.View Other Reviews
About the Host, John And Sally
We just bought this house in August 2013. We are so happy to be back in Bend, at least part-time. We lived there full time for 13 years in the 80's and 90's and are now trying to move back permanently. The Bungalow is our first step in this direction. John is a retired Oceanographer and Sally works in international forestry. Last we traveled to Provence, France for a colleague's wedding, where we stayed in a lovely Airbnb home. Sally also went to Buea, Cameroon and Oaxaca, Mexico for her work. In 2015 we went to Peru and Australia. But the truth be told, we love just staying home at the Bungalow in Bend or our place Lyons, Colorado.
The home in Bend is a block from our daughter who will help us manage the property. We live in Lyons, Colorado for now, where we hike, mountain bike, telemark ski and road bike, among many other hobbies. We raised our daughter In Bend, so have tons to resources to offer a renter, from restaurants to hikes to great galleries. We are invested in the community of Bend, are proud of how it has managed growth, transportation and general quality of life.