The Lily Pad, as its name suggests, is a hidden gem in the backwaters of Kerala, India. There is water everywhere – swimming pool, canal and lake – you can take your pick!
Surrounded by a one-acre plot which has swaying coconut palms and mango trees and located on the banks of Lake Vembanad, this luxurious villa has 5 bedrooms which are available to rent individually. The Villa can also be rented as a whole for a discounted price.
It is the perfect place for a relaxed get-away-from-it-all holiday with family and friends. You can swim or lounge by the pool as you soak up the sun, or visit the nearby bird sanctuaries and wildlife resorts to see a part of India that Indians lovingly refer to as “God’s own Country”. Have the complete backwater experience and take a boat cruise on the lake. If that isn’t all the relaxation you need, try some yoga or an ayurvedic massage with special herbal oils.
Nearby and along the lakeshore there are many renowned 5 star hotels serving food and drink and the seafood specially has to be tried. There is no public transportation but you can easily get a car and driver to take you around and rates are charged according to mileage and number of hours.
The Villa has been lovingly designed by renowned architect Gautam Bhatia who is an authority on the work of Laurie Baker who pioneered wire-cut brick finish architecture in Kerala. It is a beautiful blend of antique and modern, indoors and outdoors. Old wooden doors, windows and pillars from old Kerala homes have been juxtaposed on its clean-cut lines and nature is absolutely everywhere.
As you enter through a grand porch – you first see an antique Kerala door which opens out into a courtyard of fragrant Champak flower trees. Beyond that you get a glimpse of the canal which is full of water lilies.
Rest a while and have a drink in the outdoor seating area overlooking the canal. Or walk further into the tiled verandah, sit on a swing and sip a sundowner as you look over the blue of the swimming pool and beyond that the beautiful Vembanad Lake.
• 5 Bedrooms with attached bathrooms
• Swimming pool
• Colonial style furniture
• Solar-run lights and fans
• Auto-switch on generator for full back-up
• Solar-run water heaters in kitchen and one bathroom
• Chef available for shopping and cooking on extra payment of Rs 600 per day (surcharge for groups larger than 8 people)
• Car and driver pick up from nearest airport Kochi (COK) for Rs 2100. A 2 hour 15 minute comfortable drive. Can also be engaged to tour local attractions
• Yoga and massage can be arranged
• Fully equipped kitchen with 5 ring hob, oven, microwave, fridge-freezer. Pots and pans and crockery, cutlery also available for self catering