About this listing
Modern and bright house. 2 Bedrooms, 1.5 Bathrooms, one Queen-size, two Twin-size beds, Wi-Fi, Cable TV. 3 miles from JMU, RMH, Harrisonburg. Adults min. 21+, children over 10+, ALL guests count (inc. children). No Cleaning Fee! No shared house!
Booking Guest should provide full name and have photo in profile 'before' booking and be verified by AirBnB. All guests will be required to provide first and last name. If you do not reply with full information, we will decline your reservation. Thank you for understanding.
Please Contact us First (Inquiry); do not send a Reservation yet. Click on our Profile to see all our Listings.
* * * * * * * *
This is our home away from home!
We stay there when we visit our son, a graduate student at James Madison University (JMU). He lives now in town with his friends.
The house is fully equipped and furnished with stuff and odds and ends we have collected lovingly and carried around from our other vacation homes. It is a 5-year old home, very clean, with a wonderful view of the mountains. It is a raised ranch (living areas in one-level, access by a flight of stairs), You can sit on the deck and watch the sunrise every morning, really amazing! The furniture and decoration (if any) are unpretentious and have been kept at minimalist levels, as it was appropriate for our college-aged son.
Daily Housekeeping during your stay is not included; but there is vacuum cleaner as well as cleaning supplies for you to use if needed.
Please Contact us first if you need to stay longer than 27 days.
Check In: 3:00 pm
Check Out: 11:00 a.m.
*The larger bedroom has a Queen size bed, desk & chair, dresser and closet. There is a ceiling fan for additional comfort. Next door is your bright and clean private bathroom.
*The Second smaller Bedroom has 2 twin-size beds (one has 3 drawers underneath), a writing table & chair, closet and ceiling fan/lights. Adjacent is the second Private Half bathroom (powder room).
* Kitchen is fully equipped.
* Feel free to enjoy the house! The deck is perfect to watch sunrises while having a coffee or relax with a drink in the afternoon. The Great Room has a flat panel TV (basic cable and wireless internet) or just for relaxing or reading your favorite book. The Dining Room has plenty of room for you to enjoy all your meals.
**** Children are counted as individual guests. No children under 10 (for insurance purposes as house is not child-proof). No exceptions, please. ****
*Use of Washer/Dryer is ONLY for long-term guests (14 days or longer stays). Dryer is tricky to use, we will have to show you how to.
* There is a mudroom area downstairs if you want to store your luggage or outdoor shoes. We encourage you to wear slippers or indoor shoes upstairs.
*Driveway parking (for up to 2 cars). Garage is not available to guests.hi
Interaction with Guests
****We do not share the house with you during your stay! Unfortunately other listings advertise "entire house" and Host (or even worse, his friends) stay at the house. ****
Our primary residence is out-of state. We may greet you upon your arrival or arrive by the time of your departure. We may not meet you at all, but then you will receive a Code to the Key-less front door.
Our son lives nearby if anything needs to be taken care of.
We keep the Master Bedroom and Bathroom (at the other end of the house) for our private use. We will not be staying at the house when you reserve the entire house.
The view from our back windows and deck is fantastic, one of the reasons we bought this house. You can see and 'almost' touch Massanutten Mountain and watch the sunrise every morning.
The area is a modern new complex of single family homes (still building), quiet, family oriented (no college parties), outlined by sidewalks and safe for jogging or walking after dinner. Everybody is friendly, and it is customary to wave at you in the streets, even from their cars.
You will need a car.
* The house is 3.5 miles away from 1-81,
* 3 miles from James Madison University (JMU), Rockingham Memorial Hospital (RMH)l.
* 10 minutes from Harrisonburg downtown and EMU (Eastern Mennonite University),
* 15 minutes from Elkton VA (the Coors and Merck manufacturing facilities).
* 20 minutes away from Bridgewater College and Blue Ridge CC.
*The Skyline, Shenandoah National Park is 25 minutes away,
* 50 minutes from Charlottesville, VA (home of UVA)
* 10 minutes from Massanutten Resort.
* 40 minutes from Monticello
* 10 minutes from Waterpark at Massanutten (year-round)
* 20 minutes away from Shenandoah Valley Airport (Weyers Cave), Virginia.
There are many wineries close-by, as well as the seasonal Green Valley Book Fair (Mt Crawford). Wonderful Southern cuisine restaurants (mostly buffets, i.e. the Wood Grill, Aroma Grill and ANY store you may need to do shopping is just 2 miles away (a big Valley Mall off Route 33).
Please see our Guidebook of the area (top bar of the screen).
Other Things to Note
*Parties or gatherings are not allowed (again, due to strict insurance coverage).
* We ask you to leave the house the way you found it, reasonably clean and in order. Please wash your dishes and pots and do not let garbage overflow (there is green garbage ("Trash or Treasure" can outside or in the Garage). We do not charge a cleaning fee for your stay, as we personally do all the cleaning, and pass the savings to you. We will take care of the towels and sheets for short term rentals (14 days or less). Please treat our house with respect as it were yours. Thank you!
* Total Privacy for our guests. The house is only for you during your stay. No Host/Owner living in the same house, on a different level; or using a separate entrance.
* For long-term rentals of 27 days or longer, please contact us first. You will need to sign a Rental Agreement and get Renter's Insurance (very easy and affordable).
Check-in: 3:00 pm
Check-out: 11:00 a.m.
ID Verification may be requested, upon check-in.
HOUSEGUEST AGREEMENT– HOUSE
****** No Parties or Gatherings ** ****
* No-smoking or vaping (indoors or outdoors)
* No pets at any time
*Disruptive behavior in the house or towards neighbors will result in immediate termination of your stay.
* No candles or open flames.
* BBQ charcoals are not allowed as per HOA regulations.
*Unregistered Friends/relatives CANNOT stay overnight in the house.
* Please be thoughtful of our neighbors (specially when enjoying the outdoors or deck, not late at nIght)
*Do not move furniture around.
*No illegal internet downloads. Our service provider will contact us "Immediately." No pay-per view.
*Please Clean and wash dishes/pots or anything you used in the Kitchen. Leave the House clean and in reasonable order, as you found it.
* Upon checking out, please place all garbage bags in green container outside garage. Inordinate amount of garbage will require additional payment to our private garbage service, and will be deducted from your security deposit. We do NOT charge a cleaning fee, as other listings do. We pass the savings to you.
We will access the room/house, and give you proper notice, if there is an emergency or something has to be repaired or taken care of promptly (i.e. windows open during storm, power outage).
As per AirBnB T&C, with respect to this Covered Accommodation, Responsible
Guest agrees to pay Host for damages or loss for any Covered Property caused by Responsible Guest or any Invitee. Not abiding by the House Rules may result in an early termination of your Reservation and forfeit of your security deposit.
Maria and Larry were very responsive during and after the booking process. They provided specific instructions via email prior to our arrival date and everything in the house was ready upon check in. Their house is located in a quaint neighborhood close to downtown Harrisonburg, several wineries, and golf courses. Everything was stocked with great attention to detail such as complimentary fresh eggs in the fridge and extra toiletries in the bathroom. One of the best Airbnb hosts!
The house was the perfect size for us. It was very comfortable, and we could relax there after a long day of teaching. The central air worked beautifully, which is important in the summer. The kitchen was well stocked both with implements that we used to cook with, and even some food and drink for us. Even the bathroom had some amenities like shampoo, toothpaste, like a hotel, in case we forgot to bring something.
Contact beforehand with the hosts was very good. Maria was very welcoming in her remarks to us and both stayed around to show us how everything worked. They made a point of asking if we wanted to use the washer/dryer, and then made sure the water was turned on for that.
The house is in a beautiful location and not far from the center of Harrisonburg. Friendly neighbors, whom we chatted with a bit, added to our enjoyment of the house.
I recommend that they note very carefully what is in the house before each tenant arrives to avoid confusion over possible missing items.
My friends and I stayed at Maria and Larry's home during our visit to Shenandoah national park. We all loved this place so much that we didn't want to leave! Very cozy, quiet, and clean with an amazing view. Maria and Larry are very kind and hospitable. They provided everything we needed during our stay. I would definitely go back there without a second thought in my next trip to VA.
Thank you very much Maria and Larry for being such a great host :)
This was our first time using Airbnb and due to how wonderful are hosts were, we will definitely be using this service again.
I read some of our Hosts reviews and I thought it was an exaggeration until we arrived at the house.... Wow!
Maria and Larry have a very clean and welcoming home. It was a Home away from Home for us. Their hospitality was just amazing. They went as far as thinking of our breakfast -
They had purchased and placed in the refrigerator Milk, Orange Juice, Bagels, Iced Tea etc...
They had placed a set of towels on each bed... I can go on and on....
For someone to think of every little detail to make your stay comfortable is something that we really appreciated. We had the chance to speak with Maria a few times and Larry too and each time, they were so polite and caring.
I must be honest, I had some doubts when we were first signing up but after talking to them and then arriving in their beautiful home, I realized immediately, we had nothing to worry about.
A wonderful experience all in all.
We plan to stay there anytime we are in that area.
Maria and Larry, words cannot express how much we appreciate you... Your thoughtfulness and kindness didn't go unnoticed.
Thanks so much for making the graduation weekend relaxing and enjoyable.
Felicia, Grannies, Nick and Gene
Larry and Maria were both excellent hosts. The made the check in process super easy, provided breakfast foods and coffee, and were overall really nice, friendly people. The house is immaculate and has a gorgeous view of the mountains. My dad really enjoyed waking up and having his espresso outside on the deck and watching the sun come up. Would definitely recommend this place for friends and family visiting the Harrisonburg area for a spacious alternative to a hotel--much better value.
This host has 16 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
About the Host, Maria And Larry
We are Maria and Larry, 'almost' empty-nesters; our son attends college out of state.
Everybody who stays at our home in New Jersey, or at our second home in Virginia, is treated with respect, greeted with a smile and offered a clean and safe place away from home.
We enjoy good food and are not afraid to experiment and enjoy different cuisines. We also love southern cooking and travel regularly to our other house In Virginia.
We have previous experience hosting guests; young and middle-aged; professionals (Several PhD's) and students interns, some from the USA (CA, IL, MA, MN, NE, NY, VA) and some from Italy, Canada, Japan, the UK, Bangladesh, The Netherlands, Germany, Singapore, China, India and Iran. We speak fluently English, Spanish and intermediate Italian.
Be kind to others! Hope to meet you soon!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Note to Guests: (courtesy of Peter, Host in London)
• Hosts like us want to know who our guests are. We enjoy seeing people. Post a profile photo of yourself (not your dog or cat) and write a bit about yourself and who you are travelling with.
• A novel of your life story isn't necessary; just write about what you think someone meeting you for the first time would want to know.
• VERIFY YOUR ID. Airbnb is going to require you to do this eventually, so do it while you aren't pressed for time. This shows you value trust in our community. (See https://www.airbnb.com/help/question/450 for more information about Verified ID.)