Just north of the downtown core, the ESPA ArtHaus' BBR is perfect for artists, free-thinkers & urban naturalists who appreciate a laid-back, earthy atmosphere, beautiful eye-candy, and plenty of warm & diverse living spaces to relax & socialize.
Please read the following info in full before sending booking inquiries, as it contains many FAQs & may help to avoid any confusion about the space. *Please also see our "Other Listings" (on my profile page) as we have more than one room available (the Tree Room, the Wooly Wabi-Sabi Room, the Kid Room, and super-affordable summer-seasonal camping options too).
ESPA is a multiple award-winning non-profit activist-arts organization incorporated in 1998. The ESPA ArtHaus is our new downtown location which hosts an 'underground' Library & Archive (over 14,000 items), and will eventually include a small Artist-Run Gallery. Renting out our spare rooms subsidizes the maintenance of our library/archive and other non-profit activities.
The Blue Bohemian Room is a spacious & cozy furnished room in the basement, with 2 single beds, a clothes rack & dresser space to store your personal belongings, a coffee table/desk & chair (click through the photos section for more). It's cooler than the upstairs Tree Room but has good heating & extra quilts.* The window looks out onto the west-facing back yard. This room also offers more privacy than the upstairs room, including a separate/secure side-door entrance which leads directly up to the kitchen, and a separate 2-pc washroom right outside the bedroom door. Great for 2 people but big enough for more if using foamies or cots (provided free-of-charge on a first-come, first-served basis - please be sure to mention if there is more than one guest when you enquire about booking the room). *NOTE: When the weather dips below -20 we've received complaints that it's "pretty cold down there" so we've also included a safe/compact electric space-heater and can also reasonably crank up the central heat (we always have extra sweaters & slippers available for guests too).
In addition to your private bedroom, the space includes:
• Shared kitchen facilities & dining areas
• Shared casual 'living' space in the main floor Library/Archive, or chilling out on a hot day on the lovely, umbrella'd side-deck or in the huge yard (seasonal usage), which includes 2 firepits, several lawn chairs, canopies, chemical-free lawn & flower gardens, and plenty of extra yard space for camping out, volleying badminton birdies, yoga and more. As of October 2013 we also have a furnished backyard tipi with firepit (unsupervised usage by guests is conditional).
• Shared upper 4-pc bath/shower & a 2-pc basement washroom
• Free Wi-Fi internet connection
• Plenty of free, on-site vehicle & bike parking
• On-site laundry facilities ($5 charge per wash/dry load)
In addition to the ArtHaus, guests also have access to:
• Walking distance to Kingsway Mall, Chinatown, Little Italy, NAIT, Royal Alex & Glenrose hospitals, City Hall/Churchill Square, Downtown Arts District, Alberta Avenue Arts District, City Centre Mall, supermarkets, and all other amenities
• On good bus & LRT routes for quick & easy access to the River Valley, Old Strathcona, Fringe Festival, Folk Festival (Edmonton Ski Club) & University of Alberta. Also close to major sports & recreation facilities.
• Brand new children's playground 2 blocks from back-alley (at Spruce Avenue School & Community League)
Your live-in caretakers are ESPA's Artistic Director (an easy-going but somewhat introverted freelance artist/graphic designer who works from home) and her 5th grade computer-nerd son, but we are very accommodating hosts, so expect a tour of the facilities and otherwise free-reign to enjoy what our very unique space has to offer. We're a vegetarian household but can accommodate carnivores, with some restrictions (see House Rules). If the fire's burnin' we're up for chatting, music & socializing; otherwise feel free to light your own and otherwise make yourself at home!
Very easily-accessible location just north of the downtown core, only a short cab ride from the Greyhound Bus Terminal & Airport shuttle stops (Sutton Place Hotel is 10 blocks south). The #151, #134 and #12 buses stop right out front (Buslink #1369). Buslinks #1348 and #1434 are also within our block. Visit Edmonton Transit's "ETS Trip Planner" on the web for bus schedules & route plans; visit Edmonton Sky Shuttle for shuttle rates from the International Airport (costs more, but much easier than coming by bus/LRT); Edmonton Bicycle Commuters' (EBC) BikeWorks North is also within walking distance - visit their website for details about affordable bike & trailer rentals from their south location.
• When inquiring about booking, please provide us with some info about yourselves, and your reason for visiting/seeking accommodation. Note we are unlikely to approve bookings by individuals using only initials, no profile picture or info, etc., for general security purposes.
• Note we are increasingly hesitant to accept 3rd-person bookings as it inhibits communication with the actual guest(s), so please note upon inquiry if this is an issue, and/or please commit to keeping the lines of communication open.
• A house key will be provided to all primary/booking guests upon arrival. There is a $20 refundable CASH deposit required upon check-in. No key deposit = no key!!
• Children welcome, including access to children's book & educational/progressive video libraries, tons of craft supplies, board games & sports equipment (please inquire about age-appropriateness/safety of each floor & availability of the Kid Room).
• Pets negotiable (we have one friendly/elderly cat on-site).
AirBnB allows us to extend a “Special Offer” on rates so don’t worry about their pre-sets - if you want to book for multiple days/rooms/kids just enter the closest info you can and we can discuss further, and send new (discounted) rates for your approval/confirmation from there. Basic rates are:
• $44/night per first guest, per room
• Additional guests (same room) $15 per person
• There is a $100 security/damage deposit per room (pre-authorized on your credit card when you reserve a room)
• Food for cooking & personal toiletries (e.g. shampoo & laundry detergent) are the responsibility of the guest(s). However, we provide kitchen basics like coffee/tea, sugar/cream, cooking oil, spices & condiments as an extra convenience (no need to buy your own).
Any additional questions, please feel free to ask!
*ESPA is recipient of the Edmonton Social Planning Council's 2010 "Award of Merit for Advocacy of Social Justice"; a 2011 "Award of Excellence" by the Edmonton Urban Design Awards; and a Medal in the 2012 National Urban Design Awards (Royal Architectural Institute of Canada).
|Room type:||Private room|
|Bed type:||Real Bed|
|Extra people:||$14 / night after the first guest|
|Minimum Stay:||2 nights|
|Weekly Price:||$243 /week|
|Check In:||2:00 PM|
|Check Out:||12:00 PM (noon)|
I loved the Blue Bohemian Room as it was filled with many musical instruments and tons of art on the walls, plus and interesting set of movies and books to browse!!
Lynette was a great host, as she accepted a late arrival. I suffer from allergies, and was reacting to the smoking dining room.... Lynette quickly offered to help me find other accommodations even though I had booked with her for 5 days... she also had allergy pills that quickly help me to feel better and being cold (as I usually am) she also provided me a personal heater for my room.
I decided to stay the remember of my booking, and remain on my allergy pills.
She is a kind helpful person, and believes in community. My last night on sight she had a fire in the tippy, with local friends, and I was happy to donate 20 bucks to the wood fund!!
Would recommend the experience of ESPA ArtHaus to other tourists.
My girlfriend and I stayed in Lynette's Blue Bohemian room for two nights, and we were very happy with our stay. Lynette's home has a very warm, eclectic, vibe to it, filled with tons of interesting art to look at. We were made to feel very comfortable, as Lynette was great at communicating with us and flexible and understanding as a host. It was nice to stay in a fun yet relaxed environment.
Very accommodating host, last minute and late arrival
I stayed at the ESPA ARTHaus for 3 nights. It was a good experience, Lynette was a good host, very welcoming and understanding. Had a good time staying there
We enjoyed our visit, and as a bonus, we got to observe the inauguration of the back yard tipi! Unfortunately, we were pretty tired after travelling, so we missed out on much of the festivities. If you liike to meet new people and have an open mind, this is a great place to spend the night.
Truly enjoyed staying at the ArtHaus. I don't go to Edmonton often, but I know where I'm staying the next time I travel through. The Blue Bohemian Room suits my fancy. The best part is the hostess Lynette, her great son, and always important to me, we speak the same political language.
Staying at the ArtHaus was a great experience, perfect for use as a home base while we searched for more permanent housing in the city. Lynette and her son were wonderful hosts and have created a welcoming and fun atmosphere for guests. I would recommend this place for other travelers looking for exposure to the city's arts scene and who enjoy nights spent drinking wine by a bonfire!