One original chinese themed heritage house with eco friendly features(DIY solar hot water, air conditioning water & rain water harvesting, recycled & reused). Very conveniently situated with walking distance to most tourist spots, food & transport.
UPDATE: privacy curtain installed. Bigger water tank for toilet installed.
It is on the ground floor of a 3 storey heritage house. It is heavily designed as a 'wedding room' in old chinese time. The bed is actual antique & very rare. It has a 'tea corner' which can double as another room. This unit is suitable for a family of 4 or even couple or newly wed!
There is a courtyard at the back, where the kitchen, dinning & bathroom are located. The bathroom is still in its original stage, except that new toilet set has been installed(original is the 'squat' type). You can thus see a small water storage sink in the bathroom. There is a small fish pond with water falls. If you pay careful attention, you will notice that we have an aquaponic system installed.
We provide 4 towels & 4 pillows. There are body shampoo, shampoo & toilet paper.
We tried to preserve as much as possible when we renovated this house. We also tried to be as environmental friendly as possible. Thus, you can notice many old window panels, woods & furniture. Almost all windows were salvaged from a near by renovation, where they threw out many old windows & doors. We also salvaged many woods, and we bought reclaimed wood as well.
All furnitures are from the original tenant who have stayed there for 4 generations! We fixed and we used.
The house is very eco friendly with our DIY solar water heater & air conditioner/rain water collection for toilet flush.
There are many eateries around. There are malay and mamak(Indian muslim) restaurants opposite which operate till very late of the night. There is a nice bread bakery 2 doors away, it smells good. There is also a bakery school few doors away, so you can sign up for it if you are interested. It is very convenient with clinic, convenient store around. You can walk to many of the historic sites, we suggest renting bikes.
Since it is a wooden heritage house, sound insulation wasn't in the mind when it was first built. So, please walk & talk softly, as the people from upper or lower could hear you easily.
You will share the entrance of the building with 2 other units above.
Interaction with Guests
We will only communicate through email. You will self check in/out. If you want, you may contact us through phone. Otherwise, we will leave you alone to enjoy your vacation.
There are many old eateries around, try those behind the alleys, along the road where they are not in a proper shops. You might be surprised at what you might get.
A few doors down, there is a famous bakery where the owner produces the bread for most of the famous stalls. You can buy direct from him FRESH.
It is very convenient to go most places with foot. There is a bus stop on the cross street of Penang St. We suggest to rent a bike and see the city with it.
Other Things to Note
We have LCD TV & DVD player, but we do not currently connect the TV to any antenna. You will need your own DVD to watch any movie. We will add some DVD in the future.
I am sharing the internet with the neighbor, once in a rare while, the router might need a reboot. If that happens, you can try your luck to see whether the neighbor next door(yellow unit) is around. Else, you will need to inform me and I will have to inform my neighbor for a reboot. The neighbor doesn't live there, but she is there quite often during the day time.
- smoking allowed in the couryard only, absolutely no smoking in the room
- please do not let your kids jump on the bed, it is REAL antique bed
- self check in/out
- please take the trash out and put on the road side, the city will come and collect in the evening.
Lainux Kang sent me a email two days before I arrived with further instructions and welcome. It was very easy to find his house and to enter using the digital front door lock and the combination apartment lock. The WiFi worked well, the apartment very clean and tidy, with a beautiful antique bed and accessories. The furnishings were all very comfortable. This is an old shop house, an authentic period piece in the historic center, which is what we were seeking. The shower worked very well, with warm enough water. The toilet flush needs to be upgraded, but it did the job it was supposed to do. It was a pleasant, short stay, with plenty of old Malaysian character. We enjoyed it very much.
We had a lovely time in this Chinese house! It made our visit to George Town a complete experience of this old city.
Thank you so much Lainux for letting us stay in your wonderful studio. It was fantastic and suited our needs perfectly. The decor is spot-on, lovely natural light, beautifully designed, we instantly felt at home. Everything was just how it looked in the pictures and in the description (with an added bonus of a gold fish in the water tank which the kids loved!) I have already recommended the place to all of our friends. With the perfect location (everything walkable distance for kids, ours are 4 and 7) relaxed atmosphere and outside space it is perfect. Wonderful place. We will be back. In fact we want to move there permanently! Here are a few pics of the place from our visit. (website hidden)(phone number hidden)/personal-work-malaysia-penang-george-town/ All the best and thanks again.
This apartment was amazing! Just so beautiful and quaint. We had a lovely time and it's proximity to all the amazing food and sights in George Town meant we could pop in and out as we pleased. Indah!
We quite liked this place. It's a very charming space in an old building but there were some issues that could use some attention...like being visible to the neighbors going up and down the stairs. There's not much privacy as the can look into the room and you can also hear everything from upstairs. A privacy curtain would be a big improvement. The backyard water/toilet situation is in dire need of improvement. There's no hot water if the sun isn't shining and the toilet tank had no water so we had to refill it with the toilet sprayer. The end result is that it's a bit like camping...we made it work, but if you're not flexible, this would not be an ideal place for you. It's location is ideal right in the heart of George Town. But because it doesn't have real glass in the windows - you can hear every motorcycle and car that goes by. So bring earplugs and a bathrobe so you aren't visible to the neighbors.
The studio is conveniently located and easily accessible to places of interest both by foot and by bus. However, there were some hiccups and a little disappointment,
1. The owner is aware that we are going to check-in early. Upon arrival, the studio was still not turnaround for us, it remained in a messy state left behind by the previous guest. This was rectify only 3hrs later :-((
2. There were TV set and DVD player, however, we cannot use it, as there are no basic television channel (like news) or DVDs available for us :-(((
3. Wifi was down for 2 consecutive mornings. It took them a long while for the router to be rebooted:-((
4. The wall along the stairways is translucent, we felt a lack of privacy when the other guest walk up/down the stairs :-(((
5. The corridor is a too dim, when we come back at night, it's was a great challenge trying to unlock the number lock. Besides the door lock is a little frimsy, I was worried I might break the door.
I believe once the above are fixed, it will be a perfect stay.
We travel to Penang often and have had difficulty finding good accommodation. Of all the places we've tried, Boutel is the best.
* The location is wonderful - we seemed to be within 20 minutes walking distance of everywhere we wanted to be. The area has a very local vibe with colourful street food to check out and the Campbell St markets are really close so Penang's yummy tropical fruit is not far away.
* The actual accommodation is super funky - it's obvious the designers have had fun with it and they've struck a good balance between rustic local authenticity and modern comfort. We particularly loved the 'eco' touches and whilst my Japanese husband tends to like his creature comforts, the lack of some of them here were not problematic even for him - yes it's basic but it's totally doable.
The only things we'd suggest that need improvement are:
* Better instructions for operation of the front door - the 'silver bar' is not visible at night - it took us several phone calls to figure out how to get in
* Softer or thinner pillows - they are too high, so cause neck strain
* Increased privacy - one of the walls is transparent so I nearly got caught by the neighbour trying to get changed. This should be easy to fix and will make a world of difference. Privacy near the shower is a little questionable too
* A mosquito strategy would be appreciated - there is a pond in the courtyard outside that attracts mosquitoes. I only got a few bites but my husband was bitten pretty fiercely every time he ventured to the toilet or shower
* Toilet flushing - refilling with the bidet does get a bit bothersome, although I understand this will be improved soon.
We were warned the nights may be noisy and to bring earplugs, but the only sound that bothered us at night was that of a constant trickle of water outside in the courtyard - part of the ecological design but very near the bed inside. On the first night it was an issue but on following nights we were ok, whether we got used to it or were just really tired, I'm not sure!
Personally I wouldn't plan on doing a lot of cooking in the very rustic outdoor kitchen - it looked to be close to camping level. That said, why cook in Penang with so many delicious and cheap options outside? If you just need to wash some fruit or boil some water though, it will do the job no probs.
Despite the small issues this place was a big thumbs up and definitely the best place we've come across in our frequent visits to Penang. Artistic, authentic, affordable and comfortable - you really can't go wrong.
This host has 88 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
I like to travel and love to stay at alternative lodging to hotel. After getting involved in this BNB project, I have become more handy. I believe in a unique experience & design. Thus, most of our places are done by me & friends. Many furnitures are done by me. I am now able to do plumbing work, electrical wiring(though I have degree in EE), carpenting & more. I enjoy all the challenges I faced.
I believe in recycle, reuse & repurpose. You can see many of the things used are done this way. Also, I tried to work many of the eco friendly elements into my places. Latest project was a solar water heater, rain water & air cond water collection for toilet flushes.
I hope you like my designs & effort that I put in. Do feel free to drop me a line for anything.