About this listing
Enjoy the amazing and beautiful natural setting on a pristine lava flow from 1955 from the comfort of the Pohakunani Guesthouse, with it's sleek modern architecture, comfortable furnishings, swimming pool-- Perfect for relaxing or sight-seeing!
PŌHAKUNANI, ("The Beautiful Rocks" in Hawaiian), is the name Robert Trickey chose for the sleek modern residence and studio he built for himself in 1999 on the rugged and pristine Puna Coast, and which you can now call "home" during your stay in this magical and unique spot.
Stunningly sited at the edge of the 1955 lava flow, the house launched the career of AIA award-winning modernist architect Craig Steely, and has been published four times to date, including the front page of the New York Times and the books "Minimalist Houses" and "Island Living."
This listing is for The Guest House at Pohakunani, which is a complete, self-contained, private Studio Unit with kitchen, bath, dining, living, and outdoor lanai areas. It has two private entrances, and sleeps up to 4 guests.
(The Main House, which sleeps up to 10 guests is also available, in a separate listing here on the airbnb site.)
Amenities of the Guesthouse include a Cal King bed as well as two super-high quality twin fold out beds (not the cheap kind!) a full kitchen with large refrigerator and full-size gas range and oven, and all pots, pans and accoutrements for real cooking.
There's a desk area and free high-speed wifi as well as free long distance calls in the US are included. Satellite TV with over 200 channels of programming and music and a dvd player with a small selection of movies (please feel free to bring your own).
The bathroom is European style with no separate shower enclosure, very modern and sleek, and all towels and linens are of course, provided.
The unit enjoys a private lanai looking onto the lower lawn and there is a small charcoal barbecue for your use. Free off street parking is also provided.
After a day of exploring Kilauea Volcano or swimming with dolphins at nearby Kehena Beach, you'll return to the comfort of your chic oasis, and relax in the pool or perhaps have a drink looking out over the lovely garden and the pristine lava field.
"As a host, I love sharing this magical place with my guests and I think they appreciate having a more sophisticated and stylish living environment while visiting this wild and exotic locale. They're pleasantly surprised at how large and pretty the Guest House is, and the pool is a real plus-- Most other places in this area don't have them. The lava field surrounding the house is a real surprise for most people, too-- They just can't get over how beautiful rocks can be!"
Come and experience something different and beautiful when you travel to the Big Island-- Remember-- Where you stay is pretty much the sole factor you can influence, so make it count!
*SEPTEMB(PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN)% OFF SALE: During the first three weeks of September 2015, the pool at the property will be closed for renovations, so it will not be available to guests, HOWEVER, the Guest House unit will not be affected otherwise and we're offering a 50% discount if that works for you. The dates are all currently marked off the calendar to prevent someone booking them without knowing about the pool closure, so put in an inquiry for any available date and let me know the September dates you're interested in and I will send you a special offer for them. Thanks!
Among your guest privileges is shared access to the gorgeous Swimming Pool (fresh from it's recent complete renovation) and use of the lounge chairs and Lava Terrace area for sunbathing. The pool is not heated, but at the ambient temperature it is usually quite comfortable, (ranging usually between 76 and 84 degrees Fahrenheit.) Pool towels are provided.
The pool is an integral part of the overall architectural composition, running the length of the front of the Main House, as well as projecting forward in the direction of the Guest House, and because of it's proximity to the Main House, we ask guests in each area to be sensitive to the others' privacy as reasonably possible.
Interaction with Guests
I make every effort to be available to my guests, and should I be absent, there will be a qualified person to assist you with any needs that may arise.
We don't have many rules here at Pōhakunani because Robert doesn't like to tell his guests "NO", however those we do have are important, and your checking-in to the property implies your consent to abide by them.
1) Guests are expected to be diligent in conserving both ELECTRICITY (switching off all lights, fans and appliances when not in the immediate area) and WATER (showers of reasonable length, etc.) Hawaii has the highest electric rates in the nation, unfortunately generating most of it's power with fossil fuels, and we sometimes experience months of drought conditions, so your assistance in our conservation effort is greatly appreciated.
2) Only registered guests are allowed on the property unless prior and specific arrangements have been made (and for which there may be additional charges and/or terms.) Guests who have paid to partake in the privacy of a calm and relaxing environment deserve to enjoy it, and the additional liability created by extraneous guests is unacceptable.
(We do allow weddings and other parties and functions, and the property can be the perfect place to host them, but these must be separately arranged and priced, and no right to hold gatherings of any number or description should be inferred by your reservation of a stay.)
3) Smoking is permitted outside the units only, and please be mindful of others who may be downwind of you.
4) Any music, noise or festive vacation behavior such as overly boisterous laughter or the gleeful playtime shouts of children must be appropriately modulated and will be unacceptable after dark or at anytime it might disturb the peaceful enjoyment of neighbors or other guests.
The architecture of the property, being mostly hard surfaces, acts like a megaphone for most any sound, and the luxurious peace and quiet is something that guests treasure, so please help us maintain that quality for everyone's enjoyment.
5) We depend on you to let us know if anything is out of order, broken, or otherwise deficient so that we may promptly do whatever we can to ameliorate the problem. When you look back on your stay at Pōhakunani, we want you to be so utterly content that a 5-Star rating is the only possible option that encapsulates your time here.
6) Our Favorite Rule: Having fun is strictly encouraged :)