1-2 guests for 3-14 nights. Cozy room w/private bath in historic upper nw DC neighborhood. FIOS wifi, free safe parking, metro, snacks, coffee-tea-Deer Park spring water, bed and bath linens, essentials and more.
Small but cozy private guest room with private bath inside a 1937 3-storey colonial style single-family home located in the charming historic neighborhood of Takoma in upper north-west or "uptown" Washington, DC. The guest room with private bath is available for one to two guests, for 3 to 14 night stays.
We are on the very northern border of Brightwood, just a few blocks from Takoma. We are within walking distance of Takoma metro station. We're also convenient to a variety of bus routes, including express lines, all within 1, 2 and 4 blocks of our home.
This is a shared home arrangement. You will be sharing the property with the host-owners. Both the guest room and guest bath are private and non-shared spaces. Meaning they're only used by our guests.
To avoid confusion, the 1 bath specified in this listing is the non-shared private full guest bath. No one, including your hosts, use the guest bath during your stay. It is 100% private and solely yours. We have our own bath in the master bedroom which is a private space and not shared with guests.
~New Simmons queen-size 'real' bed (encased in protective cover)
~New quality 100% cotton or organic bamboo bed and bath linens
~New hypoallergenic pillows (encased in protective covers)
-White Noise & Ambient Sound Machine
-Two Alarm Clocks
-Little Library in guest room with a variety of genres
-New IKEA furnishings
-Stocked closet in guest room with new velvet covered hangers, extra blanket & pillows, guest robes and slippers, umbrellas, yoga mats and picnic basket
~Modern private guest bath (*not* shared with anyone)
~Fully stocked bath (complimentary quality hair and skincare products)
~FIOS premium cable service
~Coffee-tea-hot cocoa & snacks (snacks like fruit bars, breakfast bars, Clif bars, fresh fruit and nuts) - complimentary.
~Deer Park spring water - complimentary
~New modern quiet central heat/air-conditioning system
~Free safe parking (no time restrictions or temporary permits necessary)
~Walk to Takoma Metro Station. It's a 15-20 minute walk from our front door to Takoma metro station. OR if you do not care to walk, or weather is not agreeable catch any #50 bus to or from our corner (5 houses away from ours). Bus trip time to Takoma is 5 minutes. Takoma is on the red line with easy access to yellow/green lines. In the morning, if one of us is available, we can give you a ride to Takoma, Silver Spring , Friendship Heights or Georgia Ave-Petworth metro stations.
~Tues-Fri we can usually offer guests a lift to Lincoln Memorial/Vietnam Vets Memorial/DC Side of Memorial Bridge area of the Nat'l Mall (south western end). We leave at 8:30 am.
~Just 10 minutes to Pyramid Atlantic Art Center, AFI Silver Theatre and Fillmore in downtown Silver Spring, Maryland.
~The 2015 Citi-Open Tennis Tournament at the William H.G. FitzGerald Tennis Center @ Rock Creek Park August 1-9 is 5 minutes from our home.
~Rock Creek Park Horse Center is 10 mins from our home.
~Microsoft Chevy Chase Pavilion 10 mins
~AFI DOCS June 17-21, 2015 5-day international documentary film festival @ AFI Silver Theatre in Silver Spring, MD is 10 mins from our home.
~12-15 mins to Union Station/Library of Congress/Georgetown Univ Law Center/U.S. Capitol/Senate building
~12-25 mins to the National Mall (depending on what area of The Mall)
~15-20 minutes to NIH/Walter Reed National Military Medical Center
~25-30 minutes to FDA White Oak/Silver Spring, MD Campus
~More public transportation info below under 'Getting Around'.
Our guest room w/ private bath is available for stays of 3 to 14 nights. We can host 1 or 2 guests - please no more than 2 people.
If you have a profile which includes 2 verified forms of identification (1 must be a driver's license or passport) and the second form can be either phone number or email address - or both. In addition to being verified, you also have 1 or more positive reviews as either a guest or host, and your reservation is for March-June 30th, 2015 feel free to to reserve our guest room with private bath. We have 'Instant Book' to make the reservation process easy for you. We will send you a confirmation within a couple of hours as soon as we receive your booking.
If you're unsure if our guest room is available, enter the dates of your stay, if you receive a note saying "those dates are available" then our guest room IS available. Our calendar is current through June 30, 2015.
If visiting *after* June 2015, then please do check with us before booking. Thank you.
If you do not have a profile before contacting please create a complete Airbnb profile:
1) Upload an in-focus recent visible photo of yourself (silhouette pixs and childhood photos are nice but not for Airbnb profiles.) A clear face photo is mandatory.
2) Include at least one of the following forms of id for verification: passport and/or driver's license - at least one form is mandatory to create a complete Airbnb profile.
3) Include at least one: email and/or phone number verification - one of these options is mandatory.
4) Short bio helps us know a little about you.
5) Optional: If you like include your :-)book account or L inkedIn account for verification (this step is optional).
Please create your Airbnb profile PRIOR TO contacting us or BEFORE making a reservation. We've gone through the verification process ourselves. Please see our profile. Thank you.
Inquires from those who've not completed the verification process - can not be accepted.
If you are new to Airbnb and do not yet have any reviews for hosting, or as a guest, but you HAVE been verified by Airbnb (passport/driver's license as well as phone number and/or email address), we will consider hosting you. Please message us and tell us what brings you to Washington. Your profile bio should tell us the rest.
We prefer hosting those who have already used Airbnb as either traveller or have themselves hosted. However, if you are a new member to Airbnb and do not have any Airbnb reviews, we will consider hosting you.
All transactions are processed through Airbnb. We do ***not*** conduct transactions outside of Airbnb under any circumstances.
We will no longer be able to communicate with anyone requesting transactions be made outside of Airbnb. In order to avoid any issues, these types of messages will be forwarded to Airbnb's security team. Thanks.
Our check-in/out times are posted on our homepage, as well as, in 'House Rules'. When you make your reservation please include your check-in estimated time arrival, and estimated check-out time.
Also, please keep in mind that when making a reservation over a weekend for check-in that Monday OR when booking with less than 72 hours from your check-in date - we will probably not be able to be at our home any earlier than 6 pm.
Guests have access to front porch, foyer, living and dining rooms, kitchen* for preparing light meals (non-cooked-microwave is ok), stairwell to second floor, private guest room and private guest bath and back yard. All other rooms and areas are private. As previously explained, we have our own bath room which is a private space.
*Our home is 75% renovated. We do not work on the interior of our house when we have guests. Our kitchen is one of the last remaining places we have yet to renovate. The kitchen cabinets are original to the 1937 house. Sometimes antique or "vintage" is not charming. :)
The kitchen is tiny (it's called a "galley" kitchen). And it is. We do not have a dishwasher or a stove top. Our oven is a small convection oven. So our kitchen is not appropriate for sharing for traditional cooked meals at this time. Thank you.
Interaction with Guests
We are friendly but professional and non-intrusive.
We are in an historic Washington neighborhood on the border of northern Brightwood and Takoma is the DC section (MD side is Takoma PARK).
Our location is unique because although it's within the boundaries of DC proper it's tranquil and peaceful; a little suburban but with plenty of city conveniences.
We are adjacent to the mansions along 16th Street Heights which also means gorgeous Rock Creek Park is extremely convenient to our home.
We are also within walking, biking or 5 minute bus trip of Safeway, Starbucks, Charlie's Bar & Grill, CVS (apothecary/pharmacy), Modern Mobler Midcentury Vintage, Wapa Cafe, Haydee's Latin Restaurant, Julia's Empandas, Historic Takoma Public Library, Bus Boys and Poets, Politics & Prose (satellite store), Republic, Evolve Vegan Restaurant, Trohv, Magic Carpet, My Little Bistro, Capital City Cheesecake Bakery & Cafe, Bikram Yoga, Willow Street Yoga, SiTea, SouperGirl, Aikido Shobukan Dojo, The Still Point Day Spa, Dolcezza Gelato, The Covered Market, Polly Sue's Vintage Store, Roscoe's Pizzzeria, Tabletop, The Middle Eastern Restaurant, Olive Lounge, Washington Nat'l Opera Studios, Dance Exchange, Mamasita Studios (dance) and Takoma Aquatic Center.
A short distance further is Blue 44, Banana Leaves, Jake's American Grille, Buck's Fishing & Camping, Comet Ping Pong, Modern Times Coffeehouse, Politics & Prose (main store), Macon Bistro & Larder, Circle Yoga, Catch Can, Terasol, Sushi-Ko, Range, Lia's, Bread & Chocolate, Bump & Grind Cafe, Charm Thai, The Big Greek Cafe, Lucy Ethiopian, Whole Foods, Still Water Mindfulness Center, Sushi Jin, Pete's Apizza, Ghar-E-Kaba, The Classics, La Malinche, Oriental East, Pacci's Pizzeria, Ikko Sushi, Olazzo, Abyssinia, Urban Butcher, The Quarry House, Jackie's, Side Bar. El Gofo, El Gavilan, La Casita Pupuseria & Market, Chez Billy, Crane & Turtle, Domku, Willow, DC Reynolds, Petworth Citizen, Looking Glass Lounge, and The Mothership.
-Yes we offer a private guest room in a 3-storey house.
-Yes its a real bed.
-Yes the bed is an American queen-size mattress.
-Yes the guest room has ONE bed.
-No we do not have a cot and there is not enough space for one.
-No there are not 2 beds in the guest room.
-Yes there is ONE American queen-size bed in the guest room.
-Yes the guest room furnishings like desk and bureau may be used by our guests.
-Yes there is a white noise and ambient sound machine in the guest room on the night table.
-Yes the guest room has a ceiling fan which you control.
-Yes our home has modern central air-conditioning/heat (forced air). Our home was built in 1937. It still has the hot water radiator heat system as well. This system is used when it's 30°F/-1.11 °C or colder.
-Yes the guest bath is private.
-Yes we provide bed & bath linens. They are 100% cotton or 100% organic bamboo.
-Yes we provide complimentary quality skin & hair care products.
-Yes we provide a new fully functioning hair dryer.
-Yes we have FIOS wifi.
-Yes we have well-behaved pets (2 cats & 1 bird).
-Yes we offer complimentary Deer Park spring water always available by room temperature or cold in the fridge. Please help yourself.
-Yes we always have complimentary French, Ethiopian or Italian roast coffee, variety of tea and hot cocoa. Please help yourself.
-Yes we provide a variety of complimentary snacks for our guests. (see photo)
-Yes we have free safe parking on our block. Parking is available all day and night. Park in front of our home or just a few houses away at all times.
-Yes, we can host 1 to 2 guests (no more than 2 people please).
-Yes our home is both metro train and metro bus accessible.
-Yes we have SmarTrip metro cards for our guests to borrow. The SmarTrip card will give you discounted train fare of at least $1 per trip, plus free bus transfers for 2 hrs. There is also a small bus fare discount. See online info by searching wmata (Washington Metro Area Transit Authority) and SmarTrip.
-Yes we have two adult-size bike helmets for our guests to borrow.
-No we do not provide bikes to our guests.
-No we do NOT have a curfew.
-Yes our property is a single-family home.
-No our home is not a condo, apartment or flat.
-No our property is not handicap accessible.
-No you are NOT renting our entire home.
-Yes, you are renting a private guest room, private guest bath and shared living spaces in our single family home. Shared spaces are dining and living rooms, front porch and backyard. Please make yourself at home.
-No we do NOT share our kitchen for cooking. You may use for non cooked meals like sandwiches and salads. Or use our microwave, electric kettle or sandwich maker.
-Yes we are in upper north-west quadrant of Washington, DC
-Yes we are uptown. (4 miles north of White House/Farragut North metro station)
-No we are *not* downtown.
-Yes our home's interior is non-smoking.
-Yes we permit smoking (tobacco only) outside on our front porch or back yard.
-Yes we offer weekly housekeeping for an additional fee - please request.
-We share our bbq for those who wish to grill. We do not charge for the bbq supplies but guest is responsible for food and clean-up. Thank you.
-Yes we do share our microwave, coffee maker, electric kettle, press pot and toaster oven. We also share our outdoor barbeque grill. Grill accessories like charcoal, lighter fluid etc....are free to our guests.
-No breakfast is not included. Continental breakfast can be arranged for a fee. Please see photo for an idea of what we offer, or request our menu.
-No dinner and lunch are not provided. There are several extremely affordable to mid-range priced restaurants within close proximity of our home. On Thursdays there are food trucks in Takoma 2 blocks north of Takoma metro station. Please look over our Guide Book, check out menus in desk drawer, on bookshelf, and info basket in guest room, or ask us for dining info.
-May I pay cash for the room when I arrive? No. All transactions for room rental are through Airbnb. This is for your safety and security as well as ours. Thank you.
Please review our amenities list below to see what is and is not included in our room rate. Thank you.
Please do not hesitate to message us if you have any questions, concerns or special requests. Thanks.
Our neighborhood Walk Score is a healthy 89. Our home is a very easy walk (1 mile from our front door to the station - terrain is flat and easy with sidewalks all the way) or bike to/from Takoma Metro Station (red line) and easily accessible to several reliable bus routes including 2 express lines. Since the express bus routes have limited stops, when taking the bus, we recommend the express lines for the fastest way to travel to midtown and downtown Washington. For some areas of downtown DC, taking MetroRail (train) is quicker. However, the train is not always the fastest mode of transport. It depends on which part of downtown you're headed. Feel free to ask us about best travel itinerary using Washington area public transportation.
Bikes are permitted on Metro trains, Metro Buses as well as buses in northern Virginia and Maryland (suburban Washington areas).
We have 2 adult size helmets for our guests to borrow.
For info about bike rentals, inquire with us or do an online search.
For info about Washington, DC's metro system search wmata or Washington Metro Area Transit Authority.
If you will be visiting DC with a smart phone, do an online search for a DC metro app.
If you will *not* have a smart phone during your visit, please let us know, we will make sure to have paper maps, bus schedules and train info to better help you.
Traditional taxis are available at all hours. Other travel options are Uber and Lift which also offer 24 hr service. For Uber and Lift you'll need a smartphone app to request these services.
If you have a car we offer free safe parking available at all times day or night - no visitor or zone parking permit is required. This is a rarity in Washington and even in the suburbs. You will always find parking on our block. If not directly in front of our home, then only a few houses away.
Sample drive times and public transportation trip times:
~We leave for work at 8:30 am. On most mornings Mon-Fri we can drop you off at one of the following locations:
1) Takoma metro station (red line)
2) Silver Spring Metro or downtown SS area
3) Georgia Ave/Petworth metro station (yellow/green lines)
4) Kalorama/Dupont Circle (downtown)
5) Lincoln Memorial @ DC side of Memorial Bridge (other side is Arlington Cemetery)
~There are a variety of bus routes within a few houses of ours, to 1, 2, and 4 blocks from our home. Express routes to downtown DC, Nat'l Mall and downtown Silver Spring (2 blocks away) every 8 mins. Other bus routes every 15-25 mins depending on time of day. To/from Takoma metro station bus route stop is on our corner just a few houses away.
~Public transportation to midtown DC neighborhoods like Mount Pleasant/Adams Morgan/Woodley Park/ U St Corridor in 15 minutes or less; if driving 10 minutes. To downtown areas like Union Station/U.S. Capitol/Capitol Complex/U.S. Supreme Court/Library of Congress (in 15 mins-driving takes 20 minutes); Mount Vernon Square-DC Convention Center (18 mins by train-drive time about the same); Gallery Place/Chinatown/Verizon Center/6th & I Historic Synagogue/Smithsonian Galleries (18 mins by train-drive time about the same); National Archives/Nat'l Gallery of Art/Smithsonian Museums/Newseum, and White House/GWU/Farragut Square/Dupont Circle South/The Phillips Collection/The Woodrow Wilson House (30 minutes or less). If driving to the Dupont Circle/White House/Farragut Square area it's a 15 minute drive.
~The crosstown bus stop to Friendship Heights/Chevy Chase is a few blocks from our home. Bus trip time to Chevy Chase/Friendship Heights is 10 mins.
From Friendship it's just a 5 minute train trip to Bethesda Row shopping or NIH/Walter Reed Military Hospital. If driving to Bethesda Row or NIH from our home takes 15-20 minutes. From Friendship metro station to American University is also quick and convenient - about 10 minutes. Driving to AU From our home takes 15 minutes.
~Easy travel to University of MD-College Park by both metro train (20 mins or less) or car (20 mins or less). As well as FDA-White Oak Campus (20 mins).
~To Baltimore,Maryland take the MARC train from Union Station to Penn Station in downtown Baltimore. Trip time is about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Drive time is 45 minutes.
~To areas of northern VA like Arlington by MetroRail (train) 30 minutes, Circulator (bus) or MetroBus 40 minutes. To historic Old Town Alexandria 40 minutes by train, 50 minutes by bus (catch bus at Pentagon City metro station). Drive to Old Town in 20 minutes. To George and Martha Washington's estate, Mount Vernon, drive time is 45 minutes to 1 hour. There are bus tours to Mount Vernon which depart daily from Union Station. Check online info for OnBoard Tours or Gray Line Bus Tours.
~If driving, no parking permit or visitor permit is required to park on our block. Our guests will always find safe ample parking on our street. There are always parking spots either directly in front of our home, or a few houses away. Regardless of whatever time your are returning home - day or night. Please see our 'House Rules' for some basic Washington, DC parking and rules of the road which may be different here than other cities.
Hello! :-) Please read our house rules so you know what to expect. Most of what follows are guidelines to expedite the reservation process and to ensure good communication between host and guest. We've also included a few parking and driving laws because some of our guests were unaware.
Please make yourself comfortable in our home. We want you to enjoy your stay and have a positive and memorable visit. If we can do anything to make your stay more comfortable and pleasant, please do not hesitate to ask. We will do everything within our power to ensure your satisfaction.
There are a few common sense "rules" or expectations we would like from our guests and ask or detail only because had certain experiences with previous guests.
March 2015 -August 2015:
Check-In: 4 PM - 1 AM
Check-Out: By 11 AM
Because of our work schedules and our housekeeper's schedule - when booking within 72 hours of your check-in date we may not be able to arrange check-in earlier than 6 pm. Please inquire.
If you require different check-in/out times - please try to request as soon as possible. Special arrangements should be made at time of booking, or as much in advance as possible. A check-in time is required to ensure someone will be at our home for your arrival. We work M-F regular business hours and in spring and summer frequently work weekends. Thanks!
If you will be arriving when we're not available for early check-in we can suggest museums or shopping/dining area (where you can bring you luggage with you or store if for a small fee - some offer complimentary baggage checks and have serious people guarding your belongings while other places of interest, like the White House, do not permit visitors to enter with bags of any kind and lockers are not available), movie theatre, library, outdoor restaurant-retail neighborhood or indoor shopping mall - all metro accessible. Safe convenient places to hang out until we can meet you at our home.
1) To expedite the booking process - please give us a 1-2 hour arrival time frame *after* 4 pm. If you do not tell us, someone may or may not be at home to check you in. If you require a special check-in time, please read the section above - thanks.
2) Please give us a 1 hour time frame, by 11 am for your check-out time. The reason is because our housekeeper and/or the next guest may be arriving on the same day as your departure. We also will require our house key, and the SmarTrip metro cards returned to us before you depart. Thanks!
If you like, you are more than welcomed to leave your luggage at our home and retrieve later in the day/evening on the day you check-out.
3) Delays due to inclement weather, traffic or airline issues are understandable. If possible, in the event of these types of situations, please contact us to keep us current so that someone will be home for your arrival.
4) If your estimated arrival or departure time is going to change by 1 hour or more, please tell us, or send an update. This is especially important if we've arranged to leave work early, or are staying up late for your arrival. Thank you.
5) Our home is *not* handicap accessible. If you booked with us in error, contact Airbnb customer service and they will assist you in finding an appropriate rental to fit your needs.
6) If your luggage is delayed it is your responsibility to arrange for it to be delivered at at time when you will be at our home and can sign for receiving it OR have sent to your school, business or a friend/colleague's home address. If delayed luggage or any personal belongings are left on our front porch we cannot be held responsible for their safety and security.
7) The guest who books the guest room should have an id issued in the same name as their Airbnb profile. If you use a nickname, please let us know. Also, id photo likeness should not be extraordinarily different than your Airbnb profile pix.
We accept non-expired passport, non-expired Visa, U.S. school id, U.S. driver's license and non-driver's license U.S. State id cards.
We will request id from any guest 12 years of age and older.
8) The interior of our home is non-smoking. Cigarette smoking only is permitted out doors. There's an ashtray on our front porch and another (spring-summer-autumn) on the picnic table in the backyard. Please dispose of your cigarettes in these ashtrays and not in the grass or on the sidewalk. Absolutely no cigar or pipe smoking. Thank you.
9) Larry is from Hong Kong where removal of shoes upon entering another person's home or one's own home *is* the norm. Plus I steam clean our floors twice per week to cut down on dirt and germs. Please remove your shoes when entering our home. You'll find slippers in the foyer and in the guest room closet. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.
10) Please no postal delivery of any kind (eg, USPS-UPS-FedEx etc..) to our home address. Other than delayed luggage or food/restaurant deliveries - please do not have anything couriered, mailed, or shipped to our home. If you require mail delivery, please have it sent in care of General Delivery to DC post office address. There are two convenient to our neighborhood. Let us know if you would like these addresses. Thanks.
11) Please keep our house key with you at all times. If you lose our house key we will need to know. The house key must be returned when you check-out. Thank you for your cooperation.
12) If you are locked out please call/text me. If during regular business hours I should be able to meet with you within 1 hour as I work near our home.
13) Guests are responsible for locking both the top and bottom lock (same key for both) whenever leaving our home. Regardless if we are in the house the house door must be locked. When you leave our home, please lock both the top and bottom locks on the solid blue door. If you do not understand these instructions please let us know and we'll demonstrate.
14) Our home is 75% renovated. We do not work on the interior of our house when we have guests. Our kitchen is one of the last remaining places we have yet to renovate. The kitchen cabinets are original to the 1937 house. The kitchen is tiny (it's called a "galley" kitchen). We do not have a dishwasher or a stove top. Our oven is a small convection oven. So our kitchen is not appropriate for sharing for traditional cooked meals at this time. Thank you.
15) If you're unsure how to use our media system in the living room, please let us know and we'll show you. Feel free to make yourself at home in the dining or living room. Guests are free to watch tv, listen to music, work, hang-out in either space. You may also dvr tv shows and movies to watch at a later time.
16) Luggage and suitcase wheels are frequently greasy/dirty especially after air travel. PLEASE do NOT place luggage on the bed because the dirt/grease will transfer onto clean bed comforter/bed linens. There is a wooden folding luggage butler in the guest room please use it. There is also a green metal folding table/stool which can be used for smaller suitcases/bags.
17) Full meals (as opposed to snacks) are to be eaten in the dining room, front porch (there is seating and table), or at backyard picnic table. Please do not consume full meals in the guest room. Snacks are ok. There's also a backpack-style picnic "basket" for guests to borrow for picnicking at Rock Creek Park, Pierce Mill, U.S. Botanic Garden, National Mall, West Potomac Park, Roosevelt Island (there are many wonderful spots :) - Thank you.
18) Please do not leave open wine or beer in the guest room overnight. Feel free to use our refrigerator for food and drink.
19) Please do not use the guest room or guest bath trash bins for food or beverages.
20) Washington, DC recycles glass, plastic, aluminum, foam, paper and cardboard. The BLUE recycle bin is right outside the kitchen door to the left.
21) Please respect our home, our pets, us and our time.
22) We live by the Golden Rule. Please be responsible and honest if you break or damage our property. Also, please let us know if you accidentally returned home with our personal property. These things happen. :)
23) We offer weekly housekeeping service for an additional fee of $30. If you're staying with us for 7 nights or longer and you would like housekeeping please request this service in advance. It's best to request at the time you book the room or a few days prior to your second week stay so that we may schedule an appointment with our maid service. Our maid service charges us $120 for housekeeping. Our fee to our guests is $30. This is not a mandatory charge. If you do not request maid service, we will not have housekeeping during your stay. This is to ensure complete privacy for our guests.
Other than our housekeeping team (and then only upon guest request), or in the event of an emergency - no one enters the guest room or guest bath during your stay.
24) Because no one enters the guest room or guest bath (unless for reasons states above) if you need the trash bin emptied please leave the bin outside the guest room or guest bath door for us to refresh. Thank you.
25) If you would like breakfast, please let us know for how many mornings, and if you have any allergies. I will send you a menu. Continental Breakfast is $8 per person per day.
26) Laundry Facility: Unfortunately, one of our guests seriously over-loaded our washer and it's wobbly (drum is unbalanced) but still useable. We now charge $4 cash for each combination washer-dryer use. This includes detergent and softener. Since the damage, there's a trick to properly loading the washer. Because of this necessary trick we request that you please only operate the washer when one of us is at home - after 9 am and no later than 10 pm. Washer cycle time is 15-18 minutes. The dryer is 100% in working order. Thank you.
27) If you prefer a laundromat there is a brand new one close to our home. It's public transport friendly. There's a white mesh laundry bag in the guest room closet. Soap and softener can be purchased there or at a variety of stores within walking distance of our home.
28) No overnight guests other than those on the reservation. If you would like to invite a guest, please let us know who they are and when they'll be visiting. Guests who are not verified by Airbnb may only visit when one of the homeowner's is in the home. Thank you.
29) Please no drugs unless you have a Rx for medicinal marijuana. There is a medical marijuana dispensary within walking distance of our home - Takoma Wellness Center. Do online search - Sticky Guide for reviews. If you have Rx for mm, we would ask that you smoke outside on our covered porch or at the backyard.
30) We do not have a curfew. We're not uptight about guests staying out late night/early morning. Please enjoy your time in Washington. :) We are night owls ourselves but please try to limit noise between midnight and 6 am during the week. Thanks!
31) If arriving by car, or renting a vehicle during your stay, please be mindful of local parking and driving regulations. For instance, you must allow 15 feet from either end of your car to either side of any fire hydrant. Your car front or back end must be at least 5 feet from opening to a driveway, or alleyway. Your vehicle must be parked at least 25 feet from STOP or YIELD signs (this means you must be at least 25 feet from any city intersection/corner). Parking meter regulations may be different from neighborhood to neighborhood. Read the info on the meter, and always double check signs along the block where you are parking. On our block, it is legal for visitors to park for up to 28 consecutive days even if they do not have Washington, DC tags. Our block does not require visitor permits. This is NOT the norm for the rest of the city. In most neighborhoods, visitors can park for a 2 hour maximum. On some blocks, visitor parking is completely prohibited to all vehicles unless you have a visitor or zone parking permit. Be very mindful of rush hour parking rules Monday-Friday from 7-9:30 AM and then again from 3-7:30 PM (sometimes later - always check signs). These are areas where there is NO parking permitted during rush hour times EVEN when there are parking meters NO parking is allowed to open up an additional lane for busier traffic times. Speed limits can change from block to block. Blinking yellow light means you are near a school and the speed limit is 15 mph. Usually the speed limit within the city is 25-30 mph. Do not drive into pedestrian walkways when there are pedestrians. Always yield to pedestrians in or near the crosswalk. There is a substantial fine if you are ticketed for this offense. Check out the site "SmoothParking" and enter "DC" for city parking regulation. Please ask us about driving and parking if you are unsure.
32) If you are lost or not sure about DC Metro system, or there's an emergency, please feel free to call or text us (no matter what time) and we'll assist you as quickly as possible. If you do not have a mobile, most places like museums, libraries, hotels, restaurants and cafes will permit a local call free-of-charge. Just ask the host or manager to use their business phone for a local DC call. Most will oblige, or will let you use their personal mobile. Or if you have access to WiFi HotSpot, send us an email and we'll respond promptly.
33) If you're interested in a particular place or event, let us know and we'll compile information and email to you if you like. Or we can gather hard copies like brochures, catalogues, etc... for that specific point of interest/event - ready for you to look over when you arrive.
Be safe and have fun! :)
I had a great experience staying at Larry and Paulette's. They have a very comfortable home and it was a nice place to stay while getting acclimated to the city and starting a new job. They both made me feel right at home right away and were incredibly hospitable, going above and beyond to offer me rides, meals, etc. I could not have asked for more from Airbnb hosts! The room itself is lovely and comfortable. The location is right by the busses that go up and down 16th st, 14th st and Georgia Ave, so although its slightly removed from 'downtown', access is easy.
Thanks Larry and Paulette!
Paulette and Larry work hard to provide a nice Bed & Breakfast feel. They have tried to think of everything -- and if they missed something, it's not for lack of trying! Little things like snacks in the room are a nice, unexpected touch. Paulette was always eager to provide background on the area or any other way of being supportive. In addition to dropping me at the Metro (and once in downtown!), she coached me on a bus that runs almost door to door between my conference and the house that I never would have known about. Having a smart card on hand was also really convenient. All this for a very economical price. Thanks so much!
Paulette and Larry welcomed me into their house with open arms and I felt very much at home. As I was new to DC, Paulette took time out of her busy schedule to drive me to work for the first three days of my stay. The room rental terms were exactly as advertised with a ton more extras that they provided just because they are very decent human-beings. I would totally recommend this rental to anyone interested in renting with people that will go the extra mile to make certain that their guest gets an A-class stay. Thank you guys so much!
We had a lovely experience with Larry and Paulette. Paulette picked us up at the airport AND left us off when it was time to leave. The breakfasts were varied, tasty and big! They supplied us with train cards and bus cards and many brochures which described the sights in D.C. Paulette drove us to our destinations when she could-what a hostess!! The neighborhood is clean and quiet We definitely would recommend the Ngs.
Larry and Paulette are very nice people, they are friendly and welcoming and helped me a lot in all things they could, everithing is comfortable and so nice in their place.
I think is the best option to stay in Washington DC and surrounding areas.
I enjoyed my stay with Paulette and Larry very much! They were friendly and welcoming, and have two very cute cats, who were also friendly. A few evenings I spent chatting with Paulette, and one morning when I had to go downtown, Paulette offered me a ride, since she was going in the same direction. So nice!
The room was also nice. It was simply decorated and the bed was comfortable. They even had a white noise machine, which is a plus because I use one all the time and find it difficult to sleep without it.
By the end of my stay, I felt like I was staying with friends.
I had an excellent experience staying with Larry and Paulette! They are both very welcoming, accommodating, and ready to help with anything they could. Their house is very warm and welcoming as well as being an easy distance from major bus routes. I would certainly recommend a stay here!
I'm an art gallery assistant and fine arts photographer. My wife is a researcher and owns a vintage jewelry and accessories company, Little Owl Vintage. Airbnb serves as a way for us to meet fascinating and interesting people. It also gives us an active holiday fund.
We enjoy documentaries, classic Hollywood movies, American films of the 1970's and foreign cinema, reading, art, photography, music of all genres, biking, hiking and travelling.
City, beach or country? All of it. Both my wife and I are city people who find ourselves becoming more attracted to rustic beach regions and villages with mountain lakes.
We look forward to hosting guests from around the U.S. and world. We'll do our very best to make you feel welcomed and comfortable.
Life motto: La dolce vita.