See "The Space" section below
PLEASE READ THIS SECTION FULLY BEFORE RESERVING :)
Welcome to The Good Karma House, Hilo's best value in accommodation and location. We’re beyond happy to host you during your Big Island vacation.
The Good Karma House is comprised of 3 vacation rental rooms surrounding 2 large common areas enjoyed by all, or quite often, just privately. As you can see from the pictures, the courtyard is ready for some screened in relaxation, and the kitchen is fully tiled with bamboo walls and ceilings, natural granite counter tops, a full sized fridge/freezer, propane stove top, and all the organic tea and coffee you can enjoy for breakfast. Sometimes, we're even able to provide bananas grown organically right here on the property.
The bathroom is fully tiled as well, and boasts an over sized shower to enjoy after a long day of Hawaiian adventures. Linens and fresh towels are provided for you.
There are a few guidelines here that are built on serving as good advice and helping you create an ideal Hawaiian vacation: (Theyre really only for about 5% of you, but still need to be posted haha)
1. Keep all food inside the refridgerator or freezer or your closed container.
2. Any spills should be cleaned up immediately.
3. Do not place any food into the garbage. It can be rinsed down the sink, stored, or thrown into the compost pile. Rules 1 - 3 are to prevent insects from entering the building. The only time insects are inside the building is if 1 - 3 arent followed :)
4. Please do not leave your personal items outside of your room unless theyre in use.
5. Please clean up the kitchen fully back to how you found it after every time you use it. Keep in mind, another guest may use it right after you and will blame the host if its not in a clean condition :)
6. Please email me and give me an expected time of your arrival. We do not have a front desk for check in and I am quite often not home, so please, let me know about when youll be arriving, then text my cell when youre on the way, and then when you arrive and I'll meet you at the front parking lot. Please do not walk down the side of the house looking for me :) Please don't plan to show up earlier than 3pm, as this is required to properly accomodate the guests before you.
7. Look at the pictures of the rooms before you reserve them. Please don't come with unrealistic expectations because you did not :)
8. If you need anything, please dont hesitate to ask me for it! :) i LOVE helping people make their Hawaiian vacations as fun as they can possibly be, and love meeting people from all over the world.
See you soon,
Plenty of parking
Free unlimited wireless internet
Interaction with Guests
Constantly because that's definitely one of the perks of the "job". :)
Its only 3/4ths of a mile from downtown, yet the closest residence is over 200 yards away.
The main bus terminal in Hilo is just a 20 minute walk away.
Other Things to Note
We do adventure tours too! See bottom of "The
The Good Karma House is a non smoking facility, but we do have an area for that at the front of the property. Moderate alcohol use is no problem. Please clean up your own use and be considerate of others' needs as well. Our dietary style leans heavily on a vegetarian lifestyle, but we are most welcoming of all tastes and cultures. Quiet time is from 10pm to 7am. Mahalo!!!
Very convenient location. Joe was a great host. Room was cozy. I would stay here again.
The room is small, sharing a small kitchen. I didn't cook. The house is about half a mile to town, very convenient. The manger is very nice. I will certainly come back to stay for my next trip in Hilo.
Great location and value! The room is in a cottage that is about a 1/2 mile walk from downtown and has a forest backdrop with lots of mouthy frogs. The Sunrise Room has a comfortable bed. The property has multiple rental units with friendly occupants. The cottage has two airbnb rooms and shares the bath and kitchen with another room.
The stove was without gas for two days which was a bummer. However, there was an electric stove available in the next unit which we had access to for cooking meals.
Joe was consistently prompt with responding to texts.
Das Zimmer und die Küchen wären wirklich schön, wenn ab und zu geputzt werden würde.
Das Zimmer hat leider keine Fenster. Da es ziemlich viel geregnet hat, wurden unsere Klamotten nie richtig trocken und auch das Bett war zum Schluß etwas klamm.
The room and rest of the space were as described. A little hard to find at night but not that hard and very convenient to the heart of Hilo and the entire east side of the island. The cleanliness and privacy were fine for me, a single guy traveling alone. If you're young and she's a little adventurous, it'll work for her too. Didn't see much of Joe but everything I needed was there. Might very well stay again. Thanks Joe.
Very cozy house to stay! Clean, quiet, convenient traffic.
This host has 136 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
I used to manage the Aloha Guest House on the west side and came on board here in June 2014 to live in Hilo forever. Focused on maintaining the highest standards while playing as hard as we work to make your hard earned vacation the amazingly unforgettable experience you deserve. :)
Personally, I'm a rabid fan of all things astrophysics, snorkeling, road biking, and basically treating every day as if it could be my last. I moved here 3 years ago to basically retire in simplicity and have never looked back. I love sharing Hawaii's effect on people and seeing light bulbs go off. :)
So welcome to the Good Karma House, and it's really great to meet you and learn about your culture and corner of this crazy blue, white, and green marble we're all spinnin on, in the middle of nowhere, for this crazy adventure :)