This family townhouse is located in central Chiang Mai close to the river, Night Bazar, main city markets, a great supermarket, and many restaurants and cafes. It has a modern kitchen, two large bedrooms upstairs and WiFi Internet is included.
The house is 80 meters into a quiet lane, just off the main road. It has a large, secure space in front to park a car or motorcycles.
WiFi (ADSL) internet is provided, and all rates include electricity and water. There is a small TV in the living room with basic international cable channels.
The kitchen was newly built including all cupboards, gas stove and extractor fan. A refrigerator, microwave, toaster and electric thermos water heater are provided. There are basic cooking utensils and plates, bowls, cups, glasses and cutlery for 6 people.
Upstairs are two large bedrooms and a second bathroom with a hot water shower unit. Bedrooms have king-sized beds and we provide bedding and towels. When staying with 5 guests we use a single bed in the 'half bedroom' area in between the two bedrooms. This bed can also be moved into one of the main bedrooms.
The South-facing bedroom has a small balcony, and there is a table/writing desk.
Both bedrooms have an air conditioner, downstairs is fan only but it stays relatively cool there.
Please ask if you have any specific requests; for example we can provide a baby cot, and possibly other items that could make your stay more convenient.
Guests have access to the entire place and everything in it, no restrictions of any kind. We provide two sets of keys to the front gate and the house.
Interaction with Guests
We love answering guest's questions about places nearby or travel in Chiang Mai or Thailand in general. When picking up guests from the airport we often take a slightly longer route through town to help them get their bearings, and to to point out noteworthy places nearby.
We provide a short info document with information on places nearby, how to get around, and Thai language instructions for taxi drivers to easily communicate the location.
Once checked in we respect guest's privacy and don't visit unannounced.
The riverside area in Chiang Mai is very vibrant with many restaurants nearby, and it's walking distance to markets and the Night Bazar. It's a nice balance because if you walk one way you hit the tourist area (crossing the Iron Bridge to the Night Bazar) but when you walk the other way there is no tourism to speak of, just the local markets, temples and local shops. I find that balance very appealing, that you live in ' the real Thailand' with affordable prices for things nearby, but are still within easy access of international restaurants and traveller services when you want to.
The house is just off the main road along the river which has regular public transport (the 'Red Bus' share taxis) to any location in town. Three wheeled 'Tuk Tuk' taxis are also common in the area.
Or walk; some sample distances:
- Rim Ping Supermarket / Iron Bridge: 400m / 5 min
- Sanpakhoi Fresh Market 800m / 10 min
- The Night Bazar: 1km / 12 min walk
- The City Moat: 1.7km / 22 min walk
- Thaphae Gate: 2km / 25 min walk
Other Things to Note
We can usually pick up guests at the airport or train/bus station, free of charge of course. Please send us your travel details (flight number, etc.) to arrange airport pick-up. For stays more than one week we include a weekly cleaning where we also change towels and bedsheets.
Smoking is allowed outside at the back patio or in front, or on the balcony. Please turn off air conditioners when leaving the house. If you break some item (plates, glasses, etc.) please replace it with something similar. (It's all sold at the market nearby. ;) ) If you use up any grocery, then please replace. (We're not guaranteeing a fully stocked kitchen pantry but do try to keep the basics available.) Check out time is before noon, though if we don't have new guests for the same day then that's not a hard limit.
It was really lucky for me to find such lovely house for my first booking on AirBNB, we stayed four nights there, the house located in a quiet but convenient place, only 5min work to the nearby supermarket where you can find more than you want. It is also easy to find a car to get to the Tape Gate on the main road. Both Han and Jiw are so nice people, prepared everything you need on their info page, and warmly pick up/send off by their own. Amazing experience!
A typically Thai house in a great location and with fantastic hosts!
Han and Jiw were incredibly accommodating hosts. Han has a genuine and infectious passion for Chiang Mai. We really appreciated his helpfulness - collecting and delivering us from and to the airport (kids and luggage and all!), giving a tour of the old city and pointing out landmarks and places of interest, rescuing us when we were locked out (!), and providing fantastic advice about Songkran with kids. Han and Jiw met our every need - including supplying a DVD player and DVDs for our kids!
We are a family of 5, with children aged 5, 8, and 13. This house was perfect for what we needed - plenty of space, air con upstairs (downstairs was cooler anyway and was fine with the fans provided, except on the hottest of hot days when there was no escape from the heat anywhere), and a fully equipped kitchen.
The house is typically Thai; be prepared for steep stairs, wet room bathrooms, and lots of locks (typical of life in Thailand, not a sign of being in a dodgy area).
We stayed for 17 days and would have easily stayed longer in this house. It helped meet our desire to have a 'living local' experience in Northern Thailand.
The location is indeed awesome! From here it is easy to do all the tourist things on offer in Chiang Mai, as well as experiencing living in a local Thai neighbourhood, complete with temple just behind the house (we were wary of the temple dogs when walking through the temple though).
It is a short walk across the Iron Bridge (over the Ping River) into the night market area - great market shopping, lots of food options and tourist activities. The soi the house is on is off the old Lamphun-Chiang Mai road. This road is quite busy and without footpaths - but we walked along it without incident while we were there. Rimping Supermarket is close, great coffee is nearby - Mamia (just up the Lamphun-Chiang Mai Rd) and Mingmitr (in the Rimping building - they even do flat whites!). Slightly further afield is the local market (find it on the map hanging on the wall in the living room) - the food and fresh produce is amazing, and the vendors love to chat!
We would happily stay here again with our family - Han and Jiw, thank you!
We have been to Chiang Mai on many occasions, but this was our best stay ever...mostly because of this large and really perfectly located apartment and the amazing hosting by Han. While not technically "5-star" accommodation, the place gets 5 stars from us for the following reasons:
1. It is located just over and not far from the Iron Bridge ...ideal for both "playing tourist" or "playing like a local" - you have the best of both worlds: easy walking distance to the Night Bazaar, Warorot Market and the Old City (with all Wats), department stores, restaurants, etc (we're in our 60s and had no trouble with the walking, despite high temps for our visit, but you can get a tuk-tuk for between 50 and 100 baht to most places); there's a Rimping Supermarket just a few minutes walk, 711, hairdesser ( I got a really good ladies' shampoo, cut & blowdry at CNX next to Rimping for 250 baht - under $10) and, for fresh produce, DON'T pay the exorbitant supermarket prices, get some great fresh fruit and veg, toiletries, meat, even clothing...and have a lot more fun... from the local market, San Pa Khoi, which is about 1km walk from the apartment. It's smaller and quieter than Warorot but that's what we enjoyed about it. There are also heaps of coin-operated laundries and/or laundry services near here;
2. The apartment itself is big, secure, very clean and the bed we used was really comfy. The aircon is only upstairs in the bedrooms, but it works really well and downstairs is relatively cool. It's not a gourmet kitchen but it's equipped well enough for those who wish to self-cater. The WiFi was strong and stable. The downstairs bathroom only has a toilet and cold water shower but it's very convenient. The upstairs bathroom has good hot water but, for those who know Asia and the concept of a "wet bathroom," be warned that this is one of those.
3. We didn't get to meet Jiw, but Han was a delightful, responsive host who went above and beyond what we expected of an Airbnb host (and we have stayed in Airbnb apartments across Europe and Asia)....he picked us up at the train station when we arrived and drove us to the airport for our departure...and brought us more equipment for the kitchen when he found out my husband likes to cook - all without being asked to do so. In fact, my husband's parting words to Han were that "...there should be more people like you in the world"
Our only caution regarding the apartment is that the steps upstairs to the bedrooms are rather steep so you might need to rethink if you're disabled, very unfit and/or have really young children. Otherwise, we highly recommend this apartment and plan to stay again.
We have a pleasant time stay at Han and Jiw's place, they are such good host. Han pick us at the airport and show us around. The house is well located about 5-20 mins walking to most the tour visiting place, and their is a big supermarket nearby. We will definitely stay at their place again if we ever come to Chiangmai again.
Wir haben uns super wohl hier gefühlt und würden jederzeit wieder kommen! Das Appartment ist ausserordentlich sauber und mit allem ausgestattet was man braucht. Vor allem über das Kinderspielzeug und die tolle Ausstattung in der Küche (Salz, Öl, etc.) haben wir uns sehr gefreut. Unser Gastgeber war äusserst freundlich und hilfsbereit in jeder Angelegenheit. Hat uns vom Bahnhof abgeholt und zum Flughafen gebracht. Die Lage des Appartments ist wie beschrieben sehr gut, wir konnten alles für uns Wichtige zu Fuss erreichen. Vielen Dank nochmal, so stelle ich mir Urlaub vor :-)
Lived in Chiang Mai almost all of my adult life, now married with two lovely kids. We still enjoy Chiang Mai and the North immensely, for me it's the best town in Thailand; it's small enough to get around easily and get out of easily, while still being big enough to provide lots of things to see and do. And Chiang Mai is one of those towns with a very visible history, in the old city moat, and an incredible number of temples.