See the "The Space" section below
PLEASE READ THIS SECTION FULLY BEFORE RESERVING :)
Welcome to The Good Karma House, Hilo's best value in accommodation and location. We’re beyond happy to host you during your Big Island vacation.
The Good Karma House is comprised of 3 vacation rental rooms surrounding 2 large common areas enjoyed by all, or quite often, just privately. As you can see from the pictures, the courtyard is ready for some screened in relaxation, and the kitchen is fully tiled with bamboo walls and ceilings, natural granite counter tops, a full sized fridge/freezer, propane stove top, and all the organic tea and coffee you can enjoy for breakfast. Sometimes, we're even able to provide bananas grown organically right here on the property.
The bathroom is fully tiled as well, and boasts an over sized shower to enjoy after a long day of Hawaiian adventures. Linens and fresh towels are provided for you.
There are a few guidelines here that are built on serving as good advice and helping you create an ideal Hawaiian vacation: (Theyre really only for about 5% of you, but still need to be posted haha)
1. Keep all food inside the refridgerator or freezer or your closed container.
2. Any spills should be cleaned up immediately.
3. Do not place any food into the garbage. It can be rinsed down the sink, stored, or thrown into the compost pile. Rules 1 - 3 are to prevent insects from entering the building. The only time insects are inside the building is if 1 - 3 arent followed :)
4. Please do not leave your personal items outside of your room unless theyre in use.
5. Please clean up the kitchen fully back to how you found it after every time you use it. Keep in mind, another guest may use it right after you and will blame the host if its not in a clean condition :)
6. Please email me and give me an expected time of your arrival. We do not have a front desk for check in and I am quite often not home, so please, let me know about when youll be arriving, then text my cell when youre on the way, and then when you arrive and I'll meet you at the front parking lot. Please do not walk down the side of the house looking for me :) Please don't plan to show up earlier than 3pm, as this is required to properly accomodate the guests before you.
7. Look at the pictures of the rooms before you reserve them. Please don't come with unrealistic expectations because you did not :)
8. If you need anything, please dont hesitate to ask me for it! :) i LOVE helping people make their Hawaiian vacations as fun as they can possibly be, and love meeting people from all over the world.
See you soon,
Free unlimited high speed internet access
Communal areas 24/7
Interaction with Guests
Constantly because that's definitely one of the perks of the "job". :)
Its only 3/4ths of a mile from downtown, yet the closest residence is over 200 yards away.
The main bus terminal in Hilo is just a 20 minute walk away.
Other Things to Note
We do adventure tours too! See bottom of "The
The Good Karma House is a non smoking facility, but we do have an area for that at the front of the property. Moderate alcohol use is no problem. Please clean up your own use and be considerate of others' needs as well. Our dietary style leans heavily on a vegetarian lifestyle, but we are most welcoming of all tastes and cultures. Quiet time is from 10pm to 7am. Mahalo!!!
Joe was easy to work with, the room was just fine, and it was great to have an inexpensive place to stay in Hilo. I was only there for one night, and only to sleep, but I would recommend it.
The host is really friendly. He offered snorkleling gear for us. He told us where to eat and play. As for the room, it is not very clean and no curtains. Outside is jungle. All night long birds sound. If you are looking for a room close to nature and not particular about details, you may love it, especially when you open your eyes in the morning, nice. The bathroom is shared. Thanks Joe.
listing was,nt very accurate for description and pictures looked better than in real time
It was very cool and a completely novel experience to stay in the Moonset room, which is separated from the jungle beyond by just a large window screen. This means that you can fall asleep to the sounds of the jungle and wake up to the green outside but also be aware that you will inevitably wind up getting close and personal with many critters including geckos and spiders! I was lucky that lack of rain also meant mosquitoes were not a problem. The place overall is quiet and peaceful, and the location is such that the local shops are less than 10 minutes drive as are some of the major attractions e.g. Rainbow Falls (10-15 minutes). I didn't spend much time with Joe apart from checking in and out but he seemed nice enough. The biggest issue that I had was that the accommodation wasn't clean enough. It hadn't been thoroughly cleaned since the last occupants as, among other things, there were large clumps of hair in the shower, old coffee was left in the machine and the bins hadn't been emptied when I arrived. Joe had offered to allow me to use another bathroom while in the meantime he would get cleaners in but for some reason they never made an appearance.
It is budget accommodation so expect basic kitchen facilities, but enough to get by.
Overall my stay was alright. It was a unique room, spacious enough for single or companion travelers and had a decent location. On the flip side, it was not cleaned properly on arrival.
Many people come here thinking they can leave their personal products everywhere and leave whatever mess they would like despite the instructions. They arent used to communal living and are still in "motel" mode it seems. I cant be home all of the time and so rely on some assistants who live here. Thanks for understanding my efforts and sorry for not being able to get in there quick enough :) Glad you enjoyed your stay otherwise.
Good rental at a good price. Nothing fancy, but a good location close to town. Joe is a great host.
This host has 94 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
I used to manage the Aloha Guest House on the west side and came on board here in June 2014 to live in Hilo forever. Focused on maintaining the highest standards while playing as hard as we work to make your hard earned vacation the amazingly unforgettable experience you deserve. :)
Personally, I'm a rabid fan of all things astrophysics, snorkeling, road biking, and basically treating every day as if it could be my last. I moved here 3 years ago to basically retire in simplicity and have never looked back. I love sharing Hawaii's effect on people and seeing light bulbs go off. :)
So welcome to the Good Karma House, and it's really great to meet you and learn about your culture and corner of this crazy blue, white, and green marble we're all spinnin on, in the middle of nowhere, for this crazy adventure :)